The Student Room Group

Business Studies A2 Edexcel Unit 4 6BS04 Superdry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
guys in a 20/30m questions about ratios, eg
assess superdrys performance using the data given, using ratio analysis and any other relevant information

once analysing the ratios, what other things should we say?

not meeting internet growth objective.... what else? please help! x
Reply 81
Original post by mclovin1
guys in a 20/30m questions about ratios, eg
assess superdrys performance using the data given, using ratio analysis and any other relevant information

once analysing the ratios, what other things should we say?

not meeting internet growth objective.... what else? please help! x

When they ask you a ratio analysis question, if it's a 20/30 marker do all the ratios such as Current ration, acid test ratio, GP & NP margin, increase or decrease in sales, increase or decrease in Overheads, stock, debt, and credit turnover period. Thereafter, tell about the ratios you found, whether its an increase or decrease, good or bad. Tell about the performance, compare year by year. Profitability and liquidity of the business.
Don't say anything internet growth objective as that its a little unrelated to ratio.

Hope that helps you, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by mclovin1
freaking out, everyone is mentioning stuff ive never heard of! just to be sure, in our pre-released case study, does the evidence go from A to I? or am i missing some? :/

also, could anyone tell me the benefits and drawbacks of franchising? thanks! x

it is unlikely to have franchising topic to be up tmr cos there's really short of evidence that are provided in the pre released

but for you interest
here r some points about franchising

it can make another source of income for franchiser in this case it would be SG so no just rely on investment from shareholders for further expansions to achieve its aim of rapid growth internationally.

the downside would be SG has no control over this which SG branding may devalue by not distributing to the "right audience" so unlikely to build up brand loyalty as a result in long term price may not be able to charge at premium if brand reputation being damaged.

hope this helps ;D
Reply 83
Original post by CutieAngel
Do you guys think investment appraisal would come? It already came in jan 2013 so I am not much concentrating on it. Please tell me if you guys think that there are chances of it coming again?

possibly decision trees and those ratios (current ratio/ acid test)
Reply 84
Original post by rimzan1994

Don't say anything internet growth objective as that its a little unrelated to ratio.

ooh yes thank you!! :smile: but if it they want to assess their performance using ratios and 'other relevant information,' what other stuff from the case study should we mention? :confused:
Reply 85
When they ask you a ratio analysis question, if it's a 20/30 marker do all the ratios such as Current ration, acid test ratio, GP & NP margin, increase or decrease in sales, increase or decrease in Overheads, stock, debt, and credit turnover period. Thereafter, tell about the ratios you found, whether its an increase or decrease, good or bad. Tell about the performance, compare year by year. Profitability and liquidity of the business.

i am just wondering if these questions are asked
how would you evaluate them?
Im really panicking now, the grade boundary is really reasonable i believe you have to get 65 out of 80 to get an A*. But i still feel like i don't know enough.
I believe
-Ratio (Liquidity) will come up
- CSR (Big essay)
- Something that requires knowledge of porters strategic matrix
- DEFINITELY a definition of some sort
- possibly decision trees
- Maybe NPV (Or investment appraisal)
&&& My teacher has suggested revising on labour productivity/ turnover..

*DISCLAIMER** DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I DIDNT WRITE THE PAPER, ITS ALL BASED ON GUESS WORK AND WHAT I'VE SEEN FROM JANUARY'S PAPER AND TEACHERS OPINIONS
Reply 87
Original post by vansandeyeliner
Im really panicking now, the grade boundary is really reasonable i believe you have to get 65 out of 80 to get an A*. But i still feel like i don't know enough.
I believe
- CSR (Big essay)

*DISCLAIMER** DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I DIDNT WRITE THE PAPER, ITS ALL BASED ON GUESS WORK AND WHAT I'VE SEEN FROM JANUARY'S PAPER AND TEACHERS OPINIONS

Agree! what is your strategy to answer Qs Big Q first or small. Really quite worried about time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by ray(:
i am just wondering if these questions are asked
how would you evaluate them?

In my evaluation, I would say like the business is profitable, so future investments are worth it. If it has a good liquidity position they could pay off their creditors which reduces the liabilities and improve current ratio. If more cash is available they can investment in more retail stores or invest in marketing.
However, only ratios will not say whether your business is doing good, you need to consider other factors such as npv, arr, investment appraisal stuffs.
And your conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
I believe
- CSR (Big essay)

i think CSR is unlikely to be up though cos its bn up in jan exams although is a small part

my guess would be
decision tree possibly 8 marks
porter's 5 matrix / generic 10 marks
corporate culture 20/30 marks
internet growth 8-10 marks
ratio (current ratio/ gearing/ acid test ratio) / contribution costing
contingency planning could be 20 marks since there are quite a few issues with SG such as warehouse stocking problem (technological failure), workforce strikes (high labour turnover in senior management)
boston matrix 8 marks
Reply 90
In my evaluation, I would say like the business is profitable, so future investments are worth it. If it has a good liquidity position they could pay off their creditors which reduces the liabilities and improve current ratio. If more cash is available they can investment in more retail stores or invest in marketing.
However, only ratios will not say whether your business is doing good, you need to consider other factors such as npv, arr, investment appraisal stuffs.
And your conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so in a way this can boost up their share prices so more capital to invest for the future expansion?

isn't it really tough to write 30 marks about this? i can hardly think of any points to write 30 marks about liquidity and profitability and gearing

and how would you apply them into SG context

many thanks !
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MinaaLaLa
Agree! what is your strategy to answer Qs Big Q first or small. Really quite worried about time

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to all mark schemes you have to have 3 analytical points all evaluated and examiners like when you conclude with suggestions of something to help SuperDry improve because this whole exam is about thinking strategically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
According to all mark schemes you have to have 3 analytical points all evaluated and examiners like when you conclude with suggestions of something to help SuperDry improve because this whole exam is about thinking strategically

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about labour productivity/ turnover guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
What about labour productivity/ turnover guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is just a brief outline

Labour Productivity = Output / Number of Workers

Labour Turnover = Number of staff leaving (in given time) / Average number of total staff

Benefits of High Productivity:
Lower costs
More efficiency
Low productivity = Visa Versa

High labour turnover:
new staff bring new ideas
staff that leave may have been ineffective
Business may have wanted to cut down labour costs anyway

Low labour turnover:
Recruiting new staff takes time and is expensive
Time and money also spent on training programmes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 95
Guys, if a question such as "briefly explain how Ansoff's matrix could be used to illustrate Superdrys strategic direction" how would you go about answering it ?
Reply 96
Original post by Hemed
Guys, if a question such as "briefly explain how Ansoff's matrix could be used to illustrate Superdrys strategic direction" how would you go about answering it ?

theres a question on Jan 13 about that
Reply 97
Good luck every1...I am just too nervous for this exam..I hope we get to complete the exam on time!
Reply 98
Good luck to you too and everyone. Don't worry you will do well, will rape the papers hopefully. :biggrin:
Reply 99
How did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending