The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Well my waiting is finally over, no more freaking out when emails come through! :biggrin:
Reply 6061
Original post by MJK91
Literally just going off the above quote, otherwise I have no idea. Seems weird to chuck that on the end don't you think?

It is really weird. They are confusing. I think they're saying different things to different people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They said they'll continue to accept nursing, which does have quite a bit of human biology but very little chemistry unless you pick them as optional modules - so they need to work on their criteria
Original post by Absorbaloff
They said they'll continue to accept nursing, which does have quite a bit of human biology but very little chemistry unless you pick them as optional modules - so they need to work on their criteria

Interesting. I certainly agree my nursing degree had very little science in at all (except perhaps social science) but maybe they consider the practical and medical experience to compensate?
Original post by ForestCat
Interesting. I certainly agree my nursing degree had very little science in at all (except perhaps social science) but maybe they consider the practical and medical experience to compensate?

I assume so, the problem with their criteria is that they're suggesting you need to have a certain amount of biology or chem in your previous degree when I dont think thats the case.
Original post by SpringNicht
Well my waiting is finally over, no more freaking out when emails come through! :biggrin:

Yaaaay! Where are you firming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
Yaaaay! Where are you firming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's between Liverpool and Barts, going to go have a nose around them both and make my mind up :biggrin: How about you?
Original post by SpringNicht
It's between Liverpool and Barts, going to go have a nose around them both and make my mind up :biggrin: How about you?

I've firmed Southampton :biggrin: so excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In regards to student finance...I'm 22 and my parent's income is above the threshold for a means tested loan or bursary. This also applies to the nhs bursary so in years 2-4 I will receive very little in the way of funding. I work full time currently and will be working throughout the course and in the holidays (same as I have done during my degree and masters). My question is...how do they expect people in this position to fund themselves with no parental contribution? They assume that if your parents earn over a certain amount that they will fund you but when this is not the case I do not know what they expect you to do. Particularly when you don't even qualify for extra weeks allowance and most scholarships also take in to account parental income. I know it won't change but was just asking for people's thoughts on this and if there is anyone in the same position?
Original post by CharlottexBelle
In regards to student finance...I'm 22 and my parent's income is above the threshold for a means tested loan or bursary. This also applies to the nhs bursary so in years 2-4 I will receive very little in the way of funding. I work full time currently and will be working throughout the course and in the holidays (same as I have done during my degree and masters). My question is...how do they expect people in this position to fund themselves with no parental contribution? They assume that if your parents earn over a certain amount that they will fund you but when this is not the case I do not know what they expect you to do. Particularly when you don't even qualify for extra weeks allowance and most scholarships also take in to account parental income. I know it won't change but was just asking for people's thoughts on this and if there is anyone in the same position?

I'm in the same position as you, count as dependent student to student finance but don't want my parents to support me after they helped me through my undergrad. At least there's the non-means tested stuff, the student finance reduced rate loan is non-means tested anyway in years 2-4. The thing I'm worried about is the lack of placement travel costs, as I think that is also considered through the NHS bursary scheme and therefore calculated on parental income. And the extra weeks thing is frustrating too :frown: personally I'm planning to use savings to finance my way through, and as I'm going to Swansea my living costs shouldn't be as bad as they could have been elsewhere! There are other charities and funds that give bursaries without means testing I think, have a Google :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CharlottexBelle

I'm entirely reliant on my parents and because I'm from Scotland get essentially nothing towards a second degree, which is fair enough as the first one was free. Essentially it's unfair but I can see it from their perspective; no one would admit to having parental support if they could avoid it and get more money. It's very difficult to prove that parent's have or haven't provided some support so the presumption has to be that they are.

I did call up student finance England and they told me that if you can prove you've been consistently working for over a year then they may consider you as an independent student, even if you were at uni during this time. Might be worth calling them up to clarify, as I don't work it wasn't something I pursued.
(edited 9 years ago)
*sigh* rejected :frown: I dont think I can handle another gap year :frown:
Reply 6072
Original post by am1992
I'm entirely reliant on my parents and because I'm from Scotland get essentially nothing towards a second degree, which is fair enough as the first one was free. Essentially it's unfair but I can see it from their perspective; no one would admit to having parental support if they could avoid it and get more money. It's very difficult to prove that parent's have or haven't provided some support so the presumption has to be that they are.

I did call up student finance England and they told me that if you can prove you've been consistently working for over a year then they may consider you as an independent student, even if you were at uni during this time. Might be worth calling them up to clarify, as I don't work it wasn't something I pursued.

Pretty certain it's 3 years pay checks to prove independence. Might try to call up as I have 3 years as of Sept 2015... So very border line. Parents income is below the max threshold though so not the biggest dealbreaker.

I know I'll get some flak for this, but I feel if your parents earn more than the threshold you should be able to ask for help. I realise many do not feel their parents should support them over the age of 21 but given that individuals who's parents do not earn above the threshold will not be able to even ask as it would be unfeasible, sometimes it's necessary to swallow that pride.
Though admittedly an increased wage will mean an increased cost of living at least the option is there to contribute to an individuals learning.

If we were to fully fund all students there would be less available for each individual.

Even in the case of second degrees in Scotland, unless I am mistaken, they are capped at ~£2,000 fees per annum which is much more manageable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
Pretty certain it's 3 years pay checks to prove independence. Might try to call up as I have 3 years as of Sept 2015... So very border line. Parents income is below the max threshold though so not the biggest dealbreaker.

I know I'll get some flack for this, but I feel if your parents earn more than the threshold you should be able to ask for help. I realise many do not feel their parents should support them over the age of 21 but given that individuals who's parents do not earn above the threshold will not be able to even ask as it would be unfeasible, sometimes it's necessary to swallow that pride.
Though admittedly an increased wage will mean an increased cost of living at least the option is there to contribute to an individuals learning.

I think you're right about 3 years but I will definitely call to check this...

And for your other point, I understand where you're coming from, but it's worth remembering that some people's parents do not want to contribute, especially if they have done so for a first degree. And, as you do point out, assessments don't take into account outgoings eg mortgage or rent payments, other kids in private schools, etc etc, so it is different for everybody and just because someone's parents' income is over the threshold doesn't necessarily mean they have disposable income to contribute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorg

I know I'll get some flack for this, but I feel if your parents earn more than the threshold you should be able to ask for help. I realise many do not feel their parents should support them over the age of 21 but given that individuals who's parents do not earn above the threshold will not be able to even ask as it would be unfeasible, sometimes it's necessary to swallow that pride.

If we were to fully fund all students there would be less available for each individual.

Even in the case of second degrees in Scotland, unless I am mistaken, they are capped at ~£2,000 fees per annum which is much more manageable.

The threshold is arbitrary. It's not a magic number above which parents can feasibly provide and below which they can't.
Original post by Zorg

Ideally, yes. In reality the threshold (as mentioned above) is literally just that. A threshold. It doesn't take into account any household expenses. Who's to say Mr & Mrs Parentofgemapplicant haven't got two younger kids in education as well doing their first degree? What if they had to remortgage the house and have excessive repayments? My parents were in that position with my sister (thankfully I didn't have the problem as I was assessed just off one parent after the breakup).

You can't always ask, and it's unfair to assume someone can based solely on the factor on income and not expenditure.
Original post by Zorg

As I say, can't help with the independent student thing much.

To an extent I agree, parental support is important. It's exactly what I'm doing, asking for help. However, as people mentioned, having money over the threshold doesn't mean having more disposable income. A family with 3 children at uni may struggle far more than someone with one child who is below the threshold. I think the situation is therefore somewhat unfair but I'm at a loss to think of a realistic better one.

Fees in Scotland are capped for Scottish residents at £1850 for medicine. Unfortunately, as I have no science background it was either a case of do pre-med at Dundee or apply for rUK unis and pay the full £9000. I'm lucky enough to be able to opt for the latter because of parental support.
But extra dependents are taken into account when deciding the household income...

And I don't think a family's choices (e.g. to have more children if the amount offset by Student Finance per child isn't enough to compensate, to have a bigger house in a more expensive area, to have holidays, to have paid for private education) mean that they shouldn't contribute to their child's continuing education where the government has deemed them wealthy enough to do so.

Not that many families can predict that their child is going to start a medical degree after doing another degree of course, so I can sympathise to an extent there.
Original post by Ronove
And I don't think a family's choices mean that they shouldn't contribute to their child's continuing education where the government has deemed them wealthy enough to do so.

I'm sure many would if they could. The problem is with parents who CANNOT provide, not that they choose not to. If you have parents who are able, of course they should morally help you through a course.
Original post by Ronove

And I don't think a family's choices (e.g. to have more children if the amount offset by Student Finance per child isn't enough to compensate, to have a bigger house in a more expensive area, to have holidays, to have paid for private education) mean that they shouldn't contribute to their child's continuing education where the government has deemed them wealthy enough to

My parents don't have a big house in an expensive area, I pay for my own holidays and I did not go to private school, nor did they fund my first degree.

I understand what you're saying, there has to be some kind of cut off but for graduate medicine where everyone is 21 or over I do think that there is a better way to provide funding than assessing parental income. There are people who's parents will not contribute but neither will any finance bodies so they fall through the net. Everyone's situation is different and I think that there should be a better way of assessing for finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending