The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
To be fair we were mostly giving advice before even applying haha :P But yes, it's a huge relief to never touch the dirty GAMSAT/UKCAT with a bargepole ever again. I know some people like to earn money by tutoring it, but to be honest, I can't wait to burn the books!

Lmaoo!! "To never touch the dirty gamsat/Ukcat with a bargepole"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by am1992
We've been GEM offer holders for all of a week and I think both of us are already passing on worldly advice! It is nice to be able to talk about what we did back in the dark days of the application period though, on the basis that we never need to go through that hell again!

Sound advice btw.

Are your offers conditional or unconditional?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6222
Original post by am1992
We've been GEM offer holders for all of a week and I think both of us are already passing on worldly advice! It is nice to be able to talk about what we did back in the dark days of the application period though, on the basis that we never need to go through that hell again!

Sound advice btw.

Original post by MJK91
To be fair we were mostly giving advice before even applying haha :P But yes, it's a huge relief to never touch the dirty GAMSAT/UKCAT with a bargepole ever again. I know some people like to earn money by tutoring it, but to be honest, I can't wait to burn the books!

Original post by ceciafb
Haha my friend who didnt get on this year rang me last night and it felt so weird to be imparting wisdom from the actual position of being accepted! I feel like a bit of a sham still but apparently that doesn't go away even when you start..

The day after I got my first offer, I got messages from 3 different people on my MSc course asking for insider tips. :tongue: And I'm just like:

Reply 6223
Ha - I've been giving people advice for months! No real idea why anyone thought I was a good person to listen to before now :P
Original post by MJK91
Verbal reasoning? Do you mean Section I or are you talking about the UKCAT now?

Section I and II just heavily rely on practice. It's up to you how much work you think you need to put in based on your practice test results. On the whole the more essays you write up (you can find lots of tactics and topics online) the better. The more reading (philosophy, ethics, broadsheet newspapers etc) the better.

Thanx for the reply:smile:
Yeh section one n two! Not ukcat! I do read the guardian special the opinion section but is there any specific book you can recommend for philosophy or anything similar cuz other do wide reading but if I can get some examples please I really appreciate it!
Original post by NellyMelly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick is unconditional (except for a fitness to practice form and I've nothing to declare). Also got offers from A100 course at Durham (unconditional) and A104 Dundee (pre-med, conditional on passing my masters). Withdrew from my 4th choice at Keele before going to interview when I got other preferred offers. Firmed Warwick since it's the only GEM program and end of the day I want to graduate asap, already done 5 years of law!
Original post by NellyMelly

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Southampton offer came through as Conditional on my Degree and Chemistry A Level, both already achieved, and on Fitness to Practice checks. I sent them my certificates and I think they update it on results day.

Kings was unconditional.

Newcastle was conditional on degree result.
Hey there.

What are the UCAS rules for applying regarding A101 and A100?

Can you apply to 4 A101 and then one A100 or is it maximum 4 medical schools regardless of GEM/Undergrad
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
Hey there.

What are the UCAS rules for applying regarding A101 and A100?

Can you apply to 4 A101 and then one A100 or is it maximum 4 medical schools regardless of GEM/Undergrad

Maximum of 4, in any combination.
Reply 6229
Original post by kateamelia
I applied for mine yesterday - just to check - we're not eligible for NHS bursarys until year two right? I ticked no for that section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct
Hey guys. I need some help, I'm interested in applying for grad med but am not sure what course I should go for; psychology or law. I currently have a offer for psychology which i've firmed. I'm worried that I won't enjoy psychology or find it difficult. Has anyone here done psychology or give me general advice. Thanks:tongue:
Original post by am1992
Warwick is unconditional (except for a fitness to practice form and I've nothing to declare). Also got offers from A100 course at Durham (unconditional) and A104 Dundee (pre-med, conditional on passing my masters). Withdrew from my 4th choice at Keele before going to interview when I got other preferred offers. Firmed Warwick since it's the only GEM program and end of the day I want to graduate asap, already done 5 years of law!

Hi I see you've done law. I'm thinking of doing 3 years of law as I feel moreconfident in getting a good grade for GEM than psychology. What do you think? Law or psychology. And how did you find law?
If you have the option to apply for undergraduate medicine I would do that instead, it's less competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would sadly I haven't done Bio or Chem at a level.
Original post by QueenSI
Hey guys. I need some help, I'm interested in applying for grad med but am not sure what course I should go for; psychology or law. I currently have a offer for psychology which i've firmed. I'm worried that I won't enjoy psychology or find it difficult. Has anyone here done psychology or give me general advice. Thanks:tongue:

You'll get better responses in the Psychology sub-forum if you post a thread regarding this question here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=210

People applying for GEM have a mix of degrees, you'll get more Psychology students to answer this in the relevant forum. I'd also suggest that you consider researching Access to Medicine courses and foundation years before going down the degree>GEM route.

Ultimately, if you choose to do a degree then choose a subject that you will enjoy because 3 years is a long time to do something you don't enjoy and it will be a struggle to get the 2.1 that you will need.
Reply 6234
Original post by QueenSI
I would sadly I haven't done Bio or Chem at a level.

Look in to access to medicine or ask universities if they'd consider you if you took the required A levels now, I believe if you take 3 subjects and just do them if doesn't count as resitting but check with the universities first.

Avoid GEM at all costs, far more competition, far less financial aid and you watch all your friends get on with life as you continue to be a student on a shoestring budget.
Original post by Zorg
Look in to access to medicine or ask universities if they'd consider you if you took the required A levels now, I believe if you take 3 subjects and just do them if doesn't count as resitting but check with the universities first.

Avoid GEM at all costs, far more competition, far less financial aid and you watch all your friends get on with life as you continue to be a student on a shoestring budget.

I agree the reason Why I'd do a degree then Gem is because I'd have a backup career if I don't get into medicine and obviously because I don't have the a levels needed to get into undergrad and I understand that it's definitely expensive but isnt undergrad more expensive as there's no bursaries which would be £45,000. I feel like a degree would allow me to get experience and time to prepare
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QueenSI
I agree the reason Why I'd do a degree then Gem is because I'd have a backup career if I don't get into medicine and obviously because I don't have the a levels needed got undergrad and I understand that it's definitely expensive but isnt undergrad more expensive as there's no bursaries which would be £45,000. I feel like a degree would allow me to get experience and time to prepare

That cost is only if you're a graduate on a 5 year course.

Have you done any work experience to see if medicine is for you?

If you want to do medicine, its better to figure it out now than gamble on GEM.
Original post by ForestCat
That cost is only if you're a graduate on a 5 year course.

Have you done any work experience to see if medicine is for you?

If you want to do medicine, its better to figure it out now than gamble on GEM.

Yeah I was trying to say it'd cost £45,000 for undergrad med which is expensive. I've had a voluntary role as a health care assistant for two weeks which is what made me change my mind about my original career choice. I'd do more work experience in the two years of my degree before applying if I choose that route. I would also strengthen UKCAT and gamsat and do an alevel in chemistry in the two years. Id do pretty much anything to strengthen my application. I've decided GEM is what I'd do. My struggle is the degree to choose ://
Reply 6238
Original post by QueenSI
I agree the reason Why I'd do a degree then Gem is because I'd have a backup career if I don't get into medicine and obviously because I don't have the a levels needed to get into undergrad and I understand that it's definitely expensive but isnt undergrad more expensive as there's no bursaries which would be £45,000. I feel like a degree would allow me to get experience and time to prepare

The overall figure between the two is negligible, unless you factor in the cost of the first degree. But funding, so student loans, bursaries etc are more generous as a school leaver. As a grad on GEM you have to fork out £4,000 for first year and you also get less in terms of no grants and very few universities will give you bursaries. As a grad on A100 you get only a maintenance loan and no tuition fee help until NHS bursaries kick in.

Having another degree does not give you a back up career.
If you fail to get in to medicine you can still the up a different degree, but you should decide now whether you want medicine or not. Because in 4 years time the landscape for graduate entry medics will probably be quite different.
You should bear in mind that I think some courses such as Kings are narrowing their GEM entry to science degrees only, so the choice for humanities graduates may be slimmer in three years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've heard about some changes being made to GEM in a couple of years. I've got so much to think about now. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending