The Student Room Group

Man loses out on job after saying he would treat Muslim recruiter to a bacon sandwich

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am a Muslim and I think that it was very unfair of them to sack the man. He did not mean it in a racist manner and the situation was really blown out of proportion.
Reply 21
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
What he said wasn't raicst since he didn't know she was muslim lol

But if he printed this picture and stuck it all over the office i understand why it might be perceived as slightly racist

Islam is not a race, it is a choice.

Regardless, you've made me hungry now.
Reply 22
Discrimination* Plus if he didn't know as he indicates I believe it is unfair.
Reply 23
Pretty sure there's more to it than that, whether he said something racist or bigoted, he definitely did something.
Reply 24
Original post by SexyNerd
What if someone leaves a cow head in the Hindu temple, how would you feel about that? People doing electrical work at the Mosque in my town left a pigs head once they had finished.

That's completely different, you can in no way compare the two situations! I'm talking about someone eating a beef burger in front of me, that's fine, if you want to eat beef I respect your choice so you in turn respect mine to not eat it. That's in no way offensive or racist.

Leaving a cows head in a Mandir however is very obviously an act of racism that has been done intentionally to offend and upset Hindus. I'm sorry that that happened in your Mosque, that's incredibly disrespectful and should never have been done but I still stand by my original viewpoint that eating a bacon sandwich in front of a Muslim or accidently asking if they wanted to eat a bacon sandwich is not racist at all. If it was done intentionally to hurt or offend then it would be, otherwise its not racist. Simple.
Reply 25
The guy offers to take a new employee out for lunch and he gets fired that messed up.
Reply 26
I love how the Daily Mail felt the need to add a giant image of a bacon sandwich, God forbid readers don't know what one looks like.
Reply 27
Original post by tokiohoe
That's completely different, you can in no way compare the two situations! I'm talking about someone eating a beef burger in front of me, that's fine, if you want to eat beef I respect your choice so you in turn respect mine to not eat it. That's in no way offensive or racist.

Thats fine but I don't think any Muslim has a problem with someone eating bacon in front of them.

Leaving a cows head in a Mandir however is very obviously an act of racism that has been done intentionally to offend and upset Hindus. I'm sorry that that happened in your Mosque, that's incredibly disrespectful and should never have been done but I still stand by my original viewpoint that eating a bacon sandwich in front of a Muslim or accidently asking if they wanted to eat a bacon sandwich is not racist at all. If it was done intentionally to hurt or offend then it would be, otherwise its not racist. Simple.

I never said that asking someone accidentally is racist, nor do I support his dismissal. I was just asking how you would feel about the situation I mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Conflating racism with arbitrary religious rules signals another nail in the coffin of the real meaning of 'racism'.

My religion says that tea is the work of the devil and is strictly forbidden. Whenever someone asks me 'would you like a cup of tea?', I fully expect them to be punished and branded a racist.
Reply 29
Seriously I think some people just want to be offended
Original post by qasidb
I love how the Daily Mail felt the need to add a giant image of a bacon sandwich, God forbid readers don't know what one looks like.

To be honest I don't think readers of the Daily Mail know what anythings looks like in the outside world.
This actually made me chuckle.. :biggrin:

Sorry, but even that is not racist - grossly distasteful and religiously insensitive yes, but not racist. It is akin to leaving a mocking image of Xenu outside a Scientology Centre.
Reply 33
Original post by Olenna Tyrell
Sorry, but even that is not racist - grossly distasteful and religiously insensitive yes, but not racist. It is akin to leaving a mocking image of Xenu outside a Scientology Centre.

I guess it depends on a persons individual interpretation of the definition of the word racism. Technically speaking, it is verbal/physical abuse and discrimination e.g. paying a coloured man less than a Caucasian man for the same job targeted at a specific race e.g. Indian, Pakistani etc.

However personally I would view that situation (cows head left in a Mandir) as racist. I believe that the term 'racism' isn't confined to people of specifically of a different skin colour but also culture/religion.

But saying that everyone is entitled to having their own opinion on what defines racism.
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon
The Daily Mail is deceitful.

Best to reserve judgement until responsible journalism comes along.
I guess it depends on a persons individual interpretation of the definition of the word racism. Technically speaking, it is verbal/physical abuse and discrimination e.g. paying a coloured man less than a Caucasian man for the same job targeted at a specific race e.g. Indian, Pakistani etc.

However personally I would view that situation (cows head left in a Mandir) as racist. I believe that the term 'racism' isn't confined to people of specifically of a different skin colour but also culture/religion.

Is it racist to insult a Scientologist, then?

'Racism' has a legal, grounded, literary and specific meaning. Yes, you can have your own interpretation, but I can also interpret homophobia to mean hatred against cats.

By the way, I still think leaving a cow's head outside a Mandir is horrid and should be outlawed, but I just don't think it can be labelled as 'racism' if it is purely an act of religious insensitivity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RtGOAT
Nice bottle of wine she has in that picture.

Looks like water to me.

Though she's clearly not a committed Muslim, there's nothing to say that there was even a fuss made about religion.
Why did she not just say 'I don't eat bacon'?
I've been offered a glass of wine at a staff party. I said I'm Muslim and I don't drink and that was the end of it.
This just narrows once again the boundaries of "acceptable" areas to which one can venture in public and in the workplace. Bacon sarnies are a classic breakfast tradition throughout the Anglosphere and particularly the UK. If he'd made the assumption this woman was Muslim because she was of South Asian appearance then he would certainly have been censured as a racist. To have to moderate one's habits and conversation in so many areas to potentially avoid giving offence is horrifying in a supposedly free society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending