The Student Room Group

Not sure if I will meet my conditional offer?

Should I contact my university if I do not think I will achieve my conditional offer?

Recently both of my parents have had surgery and I have had to takeover running the business and the local community hall. This has meant that I have been unable to revise in the run up to the exam period. I only have two exams remaining at this point and I don't know if I will be able to get the grades I need to get in.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think there's much you can do until you actually know you haven't got the grades. Contact the university on the day if you haven't, explain, and see if they'll still accept you.
Original post by jameswlleong
Should I contact my university if I do not think I will achieve my conditional offer?

Recently both of my parents have had surgery and I have had to takeover running the business and the local community hall. This has meant that I have been unable to revise in the run up to the exam period. I only have two exams remaining at this point and I don't know if I will be able to get the grades I need to get in.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Claims for mitigating circumstances should be made to your centre's exams officer immediately after the event. The maximum allowance is 5% for an event like the death of a parent in the immediate days before the exam.
Reply 3
What grades do you need? What Uni are you applying too?

I know apparently Uni's are probably going to end up taking lower grades.
For example I got a Conditional offer of AAB but they will take BBB
I think Uni's simply want to make sure all their courses are filled.

Might not hurt to give them a ring though of your concerns.
Reply 4
If you are going to contact them, then do so beforehand- If you do it on results day it will seem like you are just making excuses and admissions officers are not as sympathetic as if you contact them beforehand
(edited 10 years ago)
You should explain your circumstances and concerns to your school, and they can contact your university on your behalf. I think that would carry more clout because it makes your circumstances seem more legitimate if your school is supporting you.
Reply 6

Thanks.

I wouldn't say that is necessary. If you have had a hard time of it around the exam period and throughout the academic year you may be eligible for mitigating circumstances and allowances (although this can't be assured, and the level of mitigation varies) should you be able to prove the problems you have encountered.

Your school/college will take care of the rest. Go talk to your head of year or the equivalent and they'll guide you through it.

I'm sure lots of people think they should get a head start on Tracking by pre-empting failure. But you may be pleasantly surprised!
:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Claims for mitigating circumstances should be made to your centre's exams officer immediately after the event. The maximum allowance is 5% for an event like the death of a parent in the immediate days before the exam.

I applied for SC, might only get an extra 4 marks, personally believe it's a disgrace.
Reply 8
Original post by mediocrecat
What grades do you need? What Uni are you applying too?

I know apparently Uni's are probably going to end up taking lower grades.
For example I got a Conditional offer of AAB but they will take BBB
I think Uni's simply want to make sure all their courses are filled.

Might not hurt to give them a ring though of your concerns.

My firm offer needs ABB for St George's and my insurance is BBB for Middlesex.

Hopefully they do take lower grades!

I was thinking about contacting them, but if I can't even get BBB I feel like it's probably not going to matter that much to them.
Original post by IbrahimKingx
I applied for SC, might only get an extra 4 marks, personally believe it's a disgrace.

That is your prerogative.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That is your prerogative.

Indeed it is, but due to my circumstances, I believe more could have been done. Especially worried about english lit :frown:
Original post by IbrahimKingx
Indeed it is, but due to my circumstances, I believe more could have been done. Especially worried about english lit :frown:

I don't know what your circumstances are.
Reply 12
Four marks doesn't seem an awful lot. So if 5% is the maximum, does that mean if one of your parents DIED you can only get 4 extra marks on a chemistry paper... Wow...
Four marks doesn't seem an awful lot. So if 5% is the maximum, does that mean if one of your parents DIED you can only get 4 extra marks on a chemistry paper... Wow...

Pretty much.
Reply 14
Contact your university and explain immediately. Don't wait until results day, do it now.

I was in a similar situation and was advised to do that above. Its best to let them know.
Reply 15

I think it would be expected that if one of your parents died, you wouldn't sit the paper.
Reply 16
Original post by Spacecam
I think it would be expected that if one of your parents died, you wouldn't sit the paper.

That is a fair point.
Reply 17
Original post by remrod
Contact your university and explain immediately. Don't wait until results day, do it now.

I was in a similar situation and was advised to do that above. Its best to let them know.

Would it be best to contact them via Email or phone?
Reply 18
Would it be best to contact them via Email or phone?

Ring them to get a name then email that person if this is the path you have decided to take.
Reply 19
Original post by Spacecam
Ring them to get a name then email that person if this is the path you have decided to take.

I'm not sure! I'm super indecisive. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest