The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hedgie
What's the best one and why?

Trinity's is legendary because it's so damn huge and extravagant. Virtually impossible to get tickets if you're not at Trinity though. John's is also quite big. I think everyone will always like their own college ball, because you'll be with all your friends and even if it's not as big, it'll be fun because you know everyone.
Reply 2
My College isn't having a ball this year, but I've got a ticket for the Sidney May Ball. In the past couple of years it's reviews have been really really good - the review for their last ball from Varsity and TCS said “Excellence was delivered in every sense. Trinity... was in many ways overshadowed by the gentle, human touch of Sidney”
“...an emerging contender for the greatest show in Cambridge”.

I've heard loads about it, and although I would love to be lucky enough to get a ticket to trinity one year, I reckon Sidney seems like a pretty close second, despite the smaller budget and smaller venue.
Create
My College isn't having a ball this year, but I've got a ticket for the Sidney May Ball. In the past couple of years it's reviews have been really really good - the review for their last ball from Varsity and TCS said “Excellence was delivered in every sense. Trinity... was in many ways overshadowed by the gentle, human touch of Sidney”

I've heard loads about it, and although I would love to be lucky enough to get a ticket to trinity one year, I reckon Sidney seems like a pretty close second, despite the smaller budget and smaller venue.

Mate, you may have a ticket for sidney, but it will never be the second best ball.
Don't get me wrong, i went to sidney in my first year and it was great. But it was NOTHING compared to Johns last year (the fireworks were the best i have ever seen - far better than trinity's that year).
This year there is Caius - which is held ever other year so is always brilliant. Clare is reckoned to be the best 'mid-small' college ball.

Personally I'm going to Peterhouse white tie ball for a bit of a change.
J
Reply 4
So what kind of things to do they have at balls that mke them so amazingly brilliant?
Reply 5
Create

Yay! Don't listen to foolfarian, go with this person :biggrin: I like you very much, mate.

Suzy - I don't know much about the balls yet, not having been to one (YET) but it seems to me like a great premise: the entire college is decorated, everyone dresses up, you have gallons of free food and drink from the minute you get inside and (depending on the college's budget) you have live bands, some of which can be big names... rumour has it we have a couple of famous bands coming to play at Sid this year, so exciting... Plus the balls are after the end of exams so I guess everyone's out to have a good time. I'm really excited!
Reply 6
foolfarian
Clare is reckoned to be the best 'mid-small' college ball.

Personally I'm going to Peterhouse white tie ball for a bit of a change.
J

Glad you still have some taste :wink:

I was kinda attracted to the Peterhouse one for various reasons, but I can't afford to go to two, so I'm sticking to Clare.
MadNatSci
Yay! Don't listen to foolfarian, go with this person :biggrin: I like you very much, mate.

Suzy - I don't know much about the balls yet, not having been to one (YET) but it seems to me like a great premise: the entire college is decorated, everyone dresses up, you have gallons of free food and drink from the minute you get inside and (depending on the college's budget) you have live bands, some of which can be big names... rumour has it we have a couple of famous bands coming to play at Sid this year, so exciting... Plus the balls are after the end of exams so I guess everyone's out to have a good time. I'm really excited!

When i was a tJohns the Thrills played.
I then got to whoops the lead singers ass at blackjack, and eat hot dogs with them
Nice enough for pikeys, but wouldn't leave them alone with my lawnmower
J
Reply 8
MadNatSci
you have live bands, some of which can be big names... rumour has it we have a couple of famous bands coming to play at Sid this year, so exciting...

There's always rumours, it seems to be Trin and Johns that actually have the money to make them come. We had some radio1 dj last year, and it wasn't very impressive, a live band would have been much cooler.

I think balls just provide an excuse for relaxing after the exams and indulging a bit.
These pics are of the empties of one bar at last years ball, it probably doesn't compare to the empties of Trin, but for a fairly small ball ~800-900 I think, and one bar it's not too bad.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~rhw27/photos/picture.cgi?scan03w018-20.jpg
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~rhw27/photos/picture.cgi?scan03w018-15-edited.jpg

Last year at Clare there was a bouncy slide thing, silent films, art around the pond, 2 dancefloors, swing boats (we broke one - not personally :tongue:), the mini coffee van thing that camps out in market square, a Shark stand, cocktail bar, gambling room, champagne bar, bottles bar, random bar, fake tatooing place, Midsummer House steak bar with another bottle bar, wine bar and band place, crepe makers, 'fire' show, sweet stand, 'luxury' portatoilets, comedy show, piano concert, hypnotist... and that's just what I noticed. There was probably much more because lots of stuff was happening concurrently.

Oh, garden jenga too, that was good too.

Thing is it seems variable upon what the committee is like that year, apparently Clare punted everyone into the ball a couple of years ago and although it took ages to get everyone in (the queues are bad enough as it is) it must have been so cool.

Alaric.
Alaric
There's always rumours, it seems to be Trin and Johns that actually have the money to make them come. We had some radio1 dj last year, and it wasn't very impressive, a live band would have been much cooler.

I think balls just provide an excuse for relaxing after the exams and indulging a bit.
These pics are of the empties of one bar at last years ball, it probably doesn't compare to the empties of Trin, but for a fairly small ball ~800-900 I think, and one bar it's not too bad.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~rhw27/photos/picture.cgi?scan03w018-20.jpg
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~rhw27/photos/picture.cgi?scan03w018-15-edited.jpg

Last year at Clare there was a bouncy slide thing, silent films, art around the pond, 2 dancefloors, swing boats (we broke one - not personally :tongue:), the mini coffee van thing that camps out in market square, a Shark stand, cocktail bar, gambling room, champagne bar, bottles bar, random bar, fake tatooing place, Midsummer House steak bar with another bottle bar, wine bar and band place, crepe makers, 'fire' show, sweet stand, 'luxury' portatoilets, comedy show, piano concert, hypnotist... and that's just what I noticed. There was probably much more because lots of stuff was happening concurrently.

Oh, garden jenga too, that was good too.

Thing is it seems variable upon what the committee is like that year, apparently Clare punted everyone into the ball a couple of years ago and although it took ages to get everyone in (the queues are bad enough as it is) it must have been so cool.

Alaric.

We had Scott Mills of of radio 1 as main act
he sucked.
AS a secondary act in our tiny jcr we had the scratch perverts
best djs i ever heard. awesome guys too
J
PS we wnated to get (but couldnt due to previous commitments) Paul Xenon. Now that would have been cool
J
Reply 10
Scott Mills is an egosentric nob head. He is a crap DJ.
Suzy_vet
Scott Mills is an egosentric nob head. He is a crap DJ.

yeh, we all found that out. (i didn't stick around for his act, i went to see scratch perverts).
He spent most of his time using the mic to slag off cambridge people.
to**er
J
Reply 12
foolfarian
yeh, we all found that out. (i didn't stick around for his act, i went to see scratch perverts).
He spent most of his time using the mic to slag off cambridge people.
to**er
J

Hmmm, nice move - that's gonna get him invited back to May Balls, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I have no idea who we've got. All my friends in the choir get free tickets though, cos they're entertaining. :mad:
Are all the May Ball committees irritatingly secretive and self-important? One of my friends is on the committee for Sidney and much as I love him, it's getting to the stage where if he drops one more hint about the bloody thing I swear I'll get my frying pan out...

Also, we get chucked out of college a couple of days before the ball! - I mean, how rude... Does that happen everywhere?
MadNatSci
Are all the May Ball committees irritatingly secretive and self-important? One of my friends is on the committee for Sidney and much as I love him, it's getting to the stage where if he drops one more hint about the bloody thing I swear I'll get my frying pan out...

Also, we get chucked out of college a couple of days before the ball! - I mean, how rude... Does that happen everywhere?

probably a stupid question........butwhere do you live when you get kicked out? :colondollar:

rosie
crana
probably a stupid question........butwhere do you live when you get kicked out? :colondollar:

rosie

its your problem
frankly it does suck, but if you're clever you can hide
J
Reply 16
MadNatSci

Our committee was made up mostly of 2nd years, so I didn't have much to do with them. There is a guy on my staircase who is on it, but he isn't being too much of a pain, although he was before the theme came out!

I hope we don't get chucked out, but I don't think we will as I don't tihnk the ball extends as far as Mem court :confused:
Reply 17
Helenia
Our committee was made up mostly of 2nd years, so I didn't have much to do with them. There is a guy on my staircase who is on it, but he isn't being too much of a pain, although he was before the theme came out!

I hope we don't get chucked out, but I don't think we will as I don't tihnk the ball extends as far as Mem court :confused:

Ooooo I can't wait to Go to Oxford now - hope their balls are as good as Cams, they sound so exciting! Let's just hope the exams go well and I get my grades!
foolfarian
its your problem
frankly it does suck, but if you're clever you can hide
J

I'd rather go home! Hiding sounds a mite uncomfortable over two days, though it would be fun to outwit them..

Crana: basically I think you either go home or stay with people in Cambridge. My home's just down the road so I guess I might as well just pop back for a bit of home cooking... I'm kinda hoping we can have our rooms back afterwards though as a) I don't want to have to cart all my stuff back just then and b) I'd really like to be able to go and crash there after the ball and the following day...
Hoofbeat
Ooooo I can't wait to Go to Oxford now - hope their balls are as good as Cams, they sound so exciting! Let's just hope the exams go well and I get my grades!

Motivated now are we?

Latest

Trending

Trending