The Student Room Group

BTEC and Medicine??? help!

Hi all, I am currently finished my first year of Health and Social Care Level 3 Extended National Diploma and have had a few future career changes! I am now really interested in doing Medicine in university.. would I even be considered onto the degree doing the course I am doing now? I have had placements in a hospital where I was shadowing nurses and observing surgery in the theatres! I have also worked in a pharmacy for over 2 years and have completed my HCA course (health care assistant) and am now a qualified HCA! I have a lot of interest in medicine and the human body! Just need to know if I should change my course or carry on for the 2 years and do a foundation year or something!?? Thank you!!
Reply 1
If you're dead set on doing medicine and being a doctor, then you need A-levels, ideally AAA in Chemistry, Biology and one other subject, though there are foundation courses which will in some circumstances admit you with less. I don't think there are any medical schools that will accept BTECs on their own. You also need to have a look at the GCSE requirements for medicine to see which medical schools would be an option for you.

Have a look here for lots more information about admissions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by amy1127
x

I've moved your thread here :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by amy1127
Hi all, I am currently finished my first year of Health and Social Care Level 3 Extended National Diploma and have had a few future career changes! I am now really interested in doing Medicine in university.. would I even be considered onto the degree doing the course I am doing now? I have had placements in a hospital where I was shadowing nurses and observing surgery in the theatres! I have also worked in a pharmacy for over 2 years and have completed my HCA course (health care assistant) and am now a qualified HCA! I have a lot of interest in medicine and the human body! Just need to know if I should change my course or carry on for the 2 years and do a foundation year or something!?? Thank you!!

You're definitely, if the option is available, better off changing course to study A Levels.
You can contact some Unis asking about your BTEC, or search using the Wiki article on here. I doubt many would accept it, but your best bet might be Keele.
If you are going to be 18 years old (or younger) on the 31st August 2013, then A Levels will still be free for the two years at FE Colleges. I'd advise you to change to A Levels if that's possible.
You'll need to study Biology and Chemistry, plus any two other subjects (I'd advise against anything too soft, but play to your strengths) at AS, in order to achieve at least AAA after the two years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending