The Student Room Group

Transport of glucose across cell membranes

Hi

I was just wondering whether glucose can be transported across a cell membrane simply by facilitated diffusion (without ATP) via a carrier protein? I know one route by which it enters the cell is the sodium-glucose co-transporter protein which indirectly uses ATP to pump sodium out of the cell to create a diffusion gradient for glucose to passively move in against a concentration gradient. However, I wonder whether this only occurs when glucose needs to move from an area of lower concentration to an area of greater concentration (i.e. against a concentration gradient)? Is there also a situation where glucose moves from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration down a gradient and so therefore just does this passively using a simple carrier protein without sodium (i.e facilitated diffusion)?

Thank you! :smile:
Yes, you are right.

Initially it enters just by facilitated diffusion, only when it is imported against conc gradient is ATP used.
Original post by REGA91
Hi

I was just wondering whether glucose can be transported across a cell membrane simply by facilitated diffusion (without ATP) via a carrier protein? I know one route by which it enters the cell is the sodium-glucose co-transporter protein which indirectly uses ATP to pump sodium out of the cell to create a diffusion gradient for glucose to passively move in against a concentration gradient. However, I wonder whether this only occurs when glucose needs to move from an area of lower concentration to an area of greater concentration (i.e. against a concentration gradient)? Is there also a situation where glucose moves from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration down a gradient and so therefore just does this passively using a simple carrier protein without sodium (i.e facilitated diffusion)?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by flowerscat
Yes, you are right.

Initially it enters just by facilitated diffusion, only when it is imported against conc gradient is ATP used.

Thank you so much :smile:. So it will travel without sodium in any situation where it's moving from an area of high concentration to low concentration?
Yes it can. The major route for cells to take up glucose from the blood is via the GLUT family transporters (uniporters) which do not use ATP hydrolysis or electrochemical ion gradients.

There are many other proteins which also transport glucose via diffusion and via active transport in bacteria, yeast etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending