The Student Room Group

King's College London Medical hopeful...

OK,
- 9 A*s GCSE, 1 A, 0.5 A in ICT
- Haven't done UKCAT yet and don't think it'll go particularly well!
- Done plenty of work experience
- Extra-curricular includes volunteering in India, Piano, etc..

Does anyone have any advice about applying for Kings? E.g. What they look for, whether my profile is good enough, etc?

Thanks
Reply 1
They use a sliding scale between a* at gcses and your ukcat score. A decent ukcat score can balance out a 'less good ' amount of a* at gcses. That's the majority of what I know
Reply 2
Original post by t()m
They use a sliding scale between a* at gcses and your ukcat score. A decent ukcat score can balance out a 'less good ' amount of a* at gcses. That's the majority of what I know

Ok would you say that 9 A*s is about average for a candidate, or maybe a bit more?
Reply 3
Original post by lindseyyy
Ok would you say that 9 A*s is about average for a candidate, or maybe a bit more?

Check out the applicants profiles sticky - it will give you an idea of what suucessful and unsuccessful applicants have.
You probably need less than 700 with those GCSEs?
Reply 5
Original post by Hippokrates
You probably need less than 700 with those GCSEs?

Right, that's great thanks
No one thinks the UKCAT will go particularly well, and they all fluke a 600 lol (10% of Med Applicants get more than 700 :redface:).
Here's a tip, KCL have a cut-off of 700, meaning you get even 1 mark below that in the UKCAT, you have ZERO chance of getting in, so don't even apply if you don't get 700 (apply to another uni like Barts which have a cut-off of 600, but you still have a one in a thousand chance then).

Fortunately for you, you get your UKCAT Score and then you choose your uni's.
So base all your options on how you do in the UKCAT, if you do tremendously poor, apply for BMAT Uni's, it'll be a gamble though...
---
But if you get the 700, you will be in the lowest 10% of Applicants, that's where you A*s will stand out, and that's where it'll be helpful.

Don't make the common mistake: IT DOES NOT LOWER THE CUT-OFF.
---
Phone the university like I did if you don't believe me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tigger Pwns
No one thinks the UKCAT will go particularly well, and they all fluke a 600 lol (10% of Med Applicants get more than 700 :redface:).
Here's a tip, KCL have a cut-off of 700, meaning you get even 1 mark below that in the UKCAT, you have ZERO chance of getting in, so don't even apply if you don't get 700 (apply to another uni like Barts which have a cut-off of 600, but you still have a one in a thousand chance then).

Fortunately for you, you get your UKCAT Score and then you choose your uni's.
So base all your options on how you do in the UKCAT, if you do tremendously poor, apply for BMAT Uni's, it'll be a gamble though...
---
But if you get the 700, you will be in the lowest 10% of Applicants, that's where you A*s will stand out, and that's where it'll be helpful.

Don't make the common mistake: IT DOES NOT LOWER THE CUT-OFF.
---
Phone the university like I did if you don't believe me.

They do NOT operate a cut off. It's a sliding scale.
Reply 8
Original post by Hippokrates
They do NOT operate a cut off. It's a sliding scale.

Can I ask what a sliding scale actually is?
Original post by lindseyyy
Can I ask what a sliding scale actually is?

If you have higher GCSEs you can afford to get a lower UKCAT and vise versa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending