The Student Room Group

'Top' universities must recruit more state school students

Milburn's report on access to higher education has come out today and basically recommends universities should make greater use of contextualised data about students when they do their admissions. Report from the Telegraph.

Interestingly this comes just a few days after an FOI by the Guardian showed that students educated at comprehensive schools out perform their privately educated peers, as cohorts not individually, once they are both at university. Does that mean unis should take more state school students in their own interest, given they are apparently usually better students, or would discriminating against private school students based on the research be unacceptable?

Also, just on the general topic, interesting piece of research by Durham that showed state school students have to perform one grade better than those who were independently educated just to get a place, does that maybe explain the, on average, superior performance when they get there too? There's an article on it here from Durham, though anyone with access to JStore can probably look at the original publication.

Any thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's fair that they give priorities to state schools however, at the end of the day, the school does not effect the child's grade too much. If the child wants to work hard and get in a good uni, then they can do that at whatever school.
Reply 2
Original post by Danya1
It's fair that they give priorities to state schools however, at the end of the day, the school does not effect the child's grade too much. If the child wants to work hard and get in a good uni, then they can do that at whatever school.

I believe the school actually affects the child's grade a lot; children who work hard yet attend a failing school, which has been placed under special measures, are simply less likely to pass. I've just left one of these failing schools that was placed under special measures last year after consistently gaining 'inadequate' reports and expect to get alright GCSE results, now I think parental support has been more instrumental in pushing me towards these grades opposed to school support. The teachers were lovely don't get me wrong, yet the teaching standard was rated as 'inadequate' for many years and it doesn't matter how hard children tried year after year they still came out with below average grades.
Original post by roh

Interestingly this comes just a few days after an FOI by the Guardian showed that students educated at comprehensive schools out perform their privately educated peers, as cohorts not individually, once they are both at university.

Previous studies of this have had results facing in opposite directions.

I would like to see the exercise repeated. Cardiff and Brookes might both be regarded as special cases.

In Cardiff's case there is a strong Welsh component in the student body. There are few good independent schools in Wales and no surviving grammar schools. Wales was an area where high proportions of working class boys once ended up in grammar schools (the Welsh 11+ comprised being able to put the ball in straight at the line-out and scrum) and these schools are now comprehensives.

Conversely Brookes has always (even in OxPoly days) had more than its fair share of Alice Bands and Hunter Wellingtons.
Reply 4
Original post by nulli tertius
Previous studies of this have had results facing in opposite directions.

I would like to see the exercise repeated. Cardiff and Brookes might both be regarded as special cases.

In Cardiff's case there is a strong Welsh component in the student body. There are few good independent schools in Wales and no surviving grammar schools. Wales was an area where high proportions of working class boys once ended up in grammar schools (the Welsh 11+ comprised being able to put the ball in straight at the line-out and scrum) and these schools are now comprehensives.

Conversely Brookes has always (even in OxPoly days) had more than its fair share of Alice Bands and Hunter Wellingtons.

I thought Brookes was known for having a lot of the less academic end of independent school products so would be skewed, but that's a good point about Wales too.

Logically you'd think, if independent schools are proving worth the money, that state schoolers should do better once they're at uni. After all, a large part of the sell is that your kid is likely to get better grades and a place at a better uni due to going there, but there definitely needs to be more research.

You'd think it would be in the universities' own interest to be honest to see whether or not they are turning away students who would do better than some they admit, whichever sector turns out to outperform their A Levels come Finals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by roh
Milburn's report on access to higher education has come out today and basically recommends universities should make greater use of contextualised data about students when they do their admissions. Report from the Telegraph.

Interestingly this comes just a few days after an FOI by the Guardian showed that students educated at comprehensive schools out perform their privately educated peers, as cohorts not individually, once they are both at university. Does that mean unis should take more state school students in their own interest, given they are apparently usually better students, or would discriminating against private school students based on the research be unacceptable?

Also, just on the general topic, interesting piece of research by Durham that showed state school students have to perform one grade better than those who were independently educated just to get a place, does that maybe explain the, on average, superior performance when they get there too? There's an article on it here from Durham, though anyone with access to JStore can probably look at the original publication.

Any thoughts?

They should take the most intelligent students, regardless of their background. /thread
Reply 6
Original post by OedipusTheKing
They should take the most intelligent students, regardless of their background. /thread

I'm fairly certain they're trying to do that, the problem being working out which are the most intelligent kids and also that if a kid was one of the most intelligent age 5 but has spent 13 years in sub standard education can they cope with uni?

Also, surely you should take into account work rate too? Sheer intellectual candle power isn't worth much to them if accompanied by exceptional laziness.
Original post by roh
I'm fairly certain they're trying to do that, the problem being working out which are the most intelligent kids and also that if a kid was one of the most intelligent age 5 but has spent 13 years in sub standard education can they cope with uni?

Also, surely you should take into account work rate too? Sheer intellectual candle power isn't worth much to them if accompanied by exceptional laziness.

Okay, this is why the conduct interviews but you get the general point. Higher education entry should be based on a meritocracy and not merely filling quotas.
Reply 8
Original post by OedipusTheKing
Okay, this is why the conduct interviews but you get the general point. Higher education entry should be based on a meritocracy and not merely filling quotas.

Agreed, though obviously there's a limit to how much it can be a true meritocracy by the time you reach 17, but I think unis should put in more effort to discover for themselves what grades at A Level tend to translate to come Finals given different backgrounds and then apply that knowledge to admissions. Yes, ideally every student sat in an A Level exam has been given the same level of preparation for it as everyone else, but in reality they haven't, I know I had a much better chance to do well than one of my housemates for example, as our teachers actually taught to the exam and his didn't, which showed in the schools' results.
Private schools help pupils achieve grades that a child of equal intelligence in a state school probably wouldn't achieve, so they are admitted into courses that an equally intelligent state schooler may not be admitted onto. I think that probably explains why state schoolers on average do better at uni - to have achieved the grades to get onto the course, they need to be on average more intelligent than a private schooler would need to be to achieve the same grades. For example at Scottish higher level, to have a good chance of getting onto a medicine course you'll need to get 5 As. About 5% of people at my state school got 5 As, but about 35% of people at my friend's private school got 5 As. This means that to get the grades for this course, as a state schooler you need to be in the top 5% of pupils, but as a pupil at this particular private school you only necessarily need to be in the top 35%.
Universities should be working more closely with state schools in deprived areas to ensure pupils choose the right subjects at A-Level and are motivated more.

Also pupils in state schools are more likely to have worked independently rather than having been guided every step of the way which whilst not helping them get into university means once they are in they are more used to university level work.
Reply 11
Yeah I agree with Milburn. I think its a disgrace that what around 10% of kids go to Private Schools and in some cases up to 40% or even 45% of kids at the top uni are Private schoolers.

The rather narrow minded opinion of 'take the best person for the job' (or in this case university place), doesn't factor in opportunity, background, education etc. Naive to believe that.

Oxbridge is bad although they try a bit. I'd be highly critical of Durham for this.
Original post by Eboracum
Yeah I agree with Milburn. I think its a disgrace that what around 10% of kids go to Private Schools and in some cases up to 40% or even 45% of kids at the top uni are Private schoolers.

The rather narrow minded opinion of 'take the best person for the job' (or in this case university place), doesn't factor in opportunity, background, education etc. Naive to believe that.

Oxbridge is bad although they try a bit. I'd be highly critical of Durham for this.

Its not the universities fault though if state schools are failing to help their pupils get into the top unis. There is no reason why they can't offer the same sort of advice on appropriate A-Levels and appropriate universities as private schools.
Reply 13
Imperial thankfully do not have such a skewed ratio despite arguably being ahead of some of these named universities.

Work hard , forget what your class mates aspire to , dream big, know the system and you have a good chance.
Reply 14
I don't like positive discrimination. If we want equality, then surely anyone (regardless of background) should be able to go to any university if they have the academic capabilities. Lowering the grades for poor performing school state pupils would be far too subjective. No one can possibly say that just because someone who goes to such a school got ABB, but supposed they had gone to a better state school, or a top public school, they could have got AAA or bettter!!
When are people going to start living in the real world? There will come a stage in everybody's life where their potential employers are going to select people based on how suitable they are for a role, not based on the fact that they went to a state comprehensive, worked hard and did better than expected. University places should be allocated based on how intelligent and suitable a person is, their background shouldn't have any bearing on it.
Reply 16
If someone is smart enough they should be able to go.

They shouldn't positively discriminate now should they ?

Ryan
Reply 17
Original post by bad_moose
When are people going to start living in the real world? There will come a stage in everybody's life where their potential employers are going to select people based on how suitable they are for a role, not based on the fact that they went to a state comprehensive, worked hard and did better than expected. University places should be allocated based on how intelligent and suitable a person is, their background shouldn't have any bearing on it.

Still think employers may take this into account on occasion. When I explained to one City law partner that I had indeed gone to a comp in the North he looked at me like I should have contacted Chidline!

And you could argue that if we're treating it like the real world then you should allow universities to take into account things such as old boys networks, which definitely do operate in the world of work, but that would cause outcry.
Original post by scapepower
Imperial thankfully do not have such a skewed ratio despite arguably being ahead of some of these named universities.

Work hard , forget what your class mates aspire to , dream big, know the system and you have a good chance.

umm - latest stats show that Imperial's intake is around 40% from private schools (http://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2060&Itemid=141 T1a: Young full-time first degree entrants by state school marker, NS-SEC marker (excluding 2008/09) and low participation marker POLAR3 low participation data 2011/12 data)
Original post by roh
Still think employers may take this into account on occasion. When I explained to one City law partner that I had indeed gone to a comp in the North he looked at me like I should have contacted Chidline!

And you could argue that if we're treating it like the real world then you should allow universities to take into account things such as old boys networks, which definitely do operate in the world of work, but that would cause outcry.

I don't think that employers focus on it as much as Universities though. I guess that your previous school is always going to have some degree of effect on how other people perceive you, but I think that employers are far more interested in finding a suitable person for the job rather than just someone who went to a certain school.

I'm not saying that we should treat it exactly like the real world, I just think that the process needs a healthy injection of realism to make sure that that the best people get selected. It just seems a tad unfair to place somebodies education history over their ability to perform well on their chosen course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending