The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tom the mathematician
Hi everyone. How did the exam go? I resat the BUS3 exam. I found it okay, not saying anything until i get my results! Although i did find question 5 the hardest.

I did the BUS2 resit. It was incredibly easy despite the fact I ran out of time towards the end - too much waffling me thinks..
Reply 2
went quite well. also not going to say much, except that i really didn't like the last question on bus 3 about technology and how it has effected its performance. did not see that coming up as a 15 marker!
Reply 3
I thought they were nice questions. :smile:
Reply 4
yeah the last question BUS 3 was a killer. But i think BUS 2 and most of Bus 3 were good, apart from the last question!
BUS2 was much easier than BUS3, the questions about motivational theory was so predictable, although discussing the impact of JIT and Simultaneous Engineering was slightly more demanding, especially since we hadn't really covered simultaneous engineering in class time.
Reply 6
the_0ne
yeah the last question BUS 3 was a killer. But i think BUS 2 and most of Bus 3 were good, apart from the last question!

Yeah, the last question was a bit dodgy! Ah well, we'll have to hope for the best, eh?
man, i ****ed up !!

well i did ok but not as well i could have done if the questions werent like " how does technolguy help the business" 15 marks

wtf ?!?!?!?!?
man, i ****ed up !!

well i did ok but not as well i could have done if the questions werent like " how does technolguy help the business" 15 marks

wtf ?!?!?!?!?
Reply 9
Just got back from exam, I did Unit 2 and 3, mananged to get the papers out of the hall. That technological question was quite unexpected.
Just out of interest what points did everyone make, for that clearly A grade differentiator question? (BUS3, Question 5)
punit,
hahahahaha nice one,legendary:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
have you seen that?

3 June 2006
EXCLUSIVE: LEAKED EXAMS STORM
EXCLUSIVE
By Tom Pettifor

TWO A-level exam papers due to be sat next week have been obtained by the Daily Mirror.

Students are believed to be buying the stolen questions then selling them on.

Subjects affected include A-level maths, economics, business studies, biology and chemistry set by exam boards AQA and Ed-Excel.

Both companies were last night investigating the alleged scam alongside officers from Scotland Yard after we passed on AQA business studies papers for units 2 and 3, to be sat on Monday.

No one has any idea how many students have had access to the questions, which are believed to have been circulating in schools across London including Mill Hill County School since Wednesday.

Maths graduates Nikesh Khagram and Nishad Khakhar, both 22, handed over the photocopied documents.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

The pair offered the business studies exam for no payment after the Daily Mirror asked for proof of the fraud.

Talking about his supplier, Khagram, of Kenton, North London, said: "If he sells it to one person, that person will carry on selling it... when it's gone down to £50 for each one, anybody can afford it, so it will be everywhere."

He said he was not selling the papers himself on the black market.

Exam board AQA said it was aware of an alleged leak and is investigating.

John Mitchell, of AQA, said: "This is a very serious matter because this is a major national exam.

"We are carrying out an investigation and we have been interviewing a number of students. We want to make sure if anybody had unfair access to these question papers they do not profit by it."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17170855%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=exclusive--leaked-exams-storm-name_page.html
have you seen that?

3 June 2006
EXCLUSIVE: LEAKED EXAMS STORM
EXCLUSIVE
By Tom Pettifor

TWO A-level exam papers due to be sat next week have been obtained by the Daily Mirror.

Students are believed to be buying the stolen questions then selling them on.

Subjects affected include A-level maths, economics, business studies, biology and chemistry set by exam boards AQA and Ed-Excel.

Both companies were last night investigating the alleged scam alongside officers from Scotland Yard after we passed on AQA business studies papers for units 2 and 3, to be sat on Monday.

No one has any idea how many students have had access to the questions, which are believed to have been circulating in schools across London including Mill Hill County School since Wednesday.

Maths graduates Nikesh Khagram and Nishad Khakhar, both 22, handed over the photocopied documents.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

The pair offered the business studies exam for no payment after the Daily Mirror asked for proof of the fraud.

Talking about his supplier, Khagram, of Kenton, North London, said: "If he sells it to one person, that person will carry on selling it... when it's gone down to £50 for each one, anybody can afford it, so it will be everywhere."

He said he was not selling the papers himself on the black market.

Exam board AQA said it was aware of an alleged leak and is investigating.

John Mitchell, of AQA, said: "This is a very serious matter because this is a major national exam.

"We are carrying out an investigation and we have been interviewing a number of students. We want to make sure if anybody had unfair access to these question papers they do not profit by it."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17170855%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=exclusive--leaked-exams-storm-name_page.html
Reply 14
I wrote something like this for question 5.. not sure if its completley right.

Discuss the extent to which the performance of S4U was affected by technological change.

For:
Increased competitveness
Improved prodcutivty - improve quality of product, output etc.
Helped them to enter new markets more successfully (e.g. children's footwear market).

Against:
Need to constantly invest in new technology (high costs)
Maintenance costs
Lowered the morale of the employees

Evaluation:
Technological change may have been one of the main reasons behind S4U's success.
Reply 15
For unit2 q.3 abt the motivation thing what did u guys write? Im not sure whether i answered the question correctly or not lol!:p:
Exarch
I wrote something like this for question 5.. not sure if its completley right.

Discuss the extent to which the performance of S4U was affected by technological change.

For:
Increased competitveness
Improved prodcutivty - improve quality of product, output etc.
Helped them to enter new markets more successfully (e.g. children's footwear market).

Against:
Need to constantly invest in new technology (high costs)
Maintenance costs
Lowered the morale of the employees

Evaluation:
Technological change may have been one of the main reasons behind S4U's success.

I mentioned similary about increased productivity, and the ability to compete more effectively against the larger multinationals. However, i mentioned that even with the introduction of new equipment and becomming a capital intensive organsiation technical advancements can only go so far in building a company reputation and establishing demand - for which machinary is useless without.
vultac
For unit2 q.3 abt the motivation thing what did u guys write? Im not sure whether i answered the question correctly or not lol!:p:

I tried to really just discuss motivational theorists, and link that into the different decisions that S4U made at stages throughout the case study. I also compared and contrasted the two motivational standpoints at Huddesfield and Leeds - since i wasn't sure whether or not they exam board wanted some sort of conclusion to be made regarding which one was more appropriate. Here are the general points i made about both plants and their contrasting motivational standpoints;

Huddesfield; Implemented Taylorism, by introducing a piecerate system, contrasted greatly with the supposid "Theory Y" managerial style which assumes that managers view their subordinates as self-motivated workers who are looking for more responsiblity and authority within the organisation. Yet, there is no implementation of Herzeberg-esqe motivator factors.

Leeds; Hello Maslow and Herzberg! *everyone wave* :eek: By introducing a pension scheme, Billy and Michelle are reinforcing the Maslow "Security/Safety" aspect of the hierachy of needs, and also by the introduction of five days additional holiday this reinforces Herzbergs two-factor theory.

Reply 18
michaelbenson

Huddesfield; Implemented Taylorism, by introducing a piecerate system, contrasted greatly with the supposid "Theory Y" managerial style which assumes that managers view their subordinates as self-motivated workers who are looking for more responsiblity and authority within the organisation. Yet, there is no implementation of Herzeberg-esqe motivator factors.

The work itself was quite motivating in Huddersfield, as the employees could take charge of the whole job and see the finished product at the end.
I mentioned that as being Herzbergesque.

The last question on BUS3 was indeed horrible, I don't think I did too well there (mainly because of evaluation). I realised afterwards that I really should have mentioned some other factors which led to success, because even though technology did play a role to some extent - there were many other contributing factors.
Happiness
The work itself was quite motivating in Huddersfield, as the employees could take charge of the whole job and see the finished product at the end.
I mentioned that as being Herzbergesque.

The last question on BUS3 was indeed horrible, I don't think I did too well there (mainly because of evaluation). I realised afterwards that I really should have mentioned some other factors which led to success, because even though technology did play a role to some extent - there were many other contributing factors.

Hopefully the grade boundries will be lowered for that paper, since the general consensus throughout this forum (which generally attracts higher level candidates (i know i shouldn't stereotype!)), is that the question was very demanding and horrible, probally one of the toughest A grade differentiators assessed in comparison to other past papers.

Latest

Trending

Trending