The Student Room Group

Anyone worked for Orridge (stock taking company)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Has anybody done pharmacy training with orridge and know how much you get an hour
Original post by Gazza123
Let me tell you , I have been on their books for nearly two months and haven't received a single days work . It is a complete waste of time and an individuals ability . I'd forget about it if i was you .

The very same with me. I've been on their books since March/April and I have not had any work with them. I got a job with another stocktaking company - WIS International - which is ok and I wanted to joggle the two since they're both flexible. At the orridge interview, the interviewer didn't even bring any scanners to show us or practice with and every week I get an email from them saying that my programme has been completed but I am not scheduled for any work. I called them a couple of times to find out why I hadn't been given any jobs - even though I keep my availability diary up to date - and the girl claimed that she had been contacting me and texting me but I never responded. Pure lie!!! I have never received any texts from orridge and the two calls I ever got from them were when I was at work with WIS, which I answered. I'd advise anyone to forget about orridge and check out WIS International. They're looking for people to join the company and you will be taken to a shop to test the scanners and your skill using them.
im working for them now started like 2 mounths ago havent had one shift nore one pay **** dont go there
Original post by lady jackson
The very same with me. I've been on their books since March/April and I have not had any work with them. I got a job with another stocktaking company - WIS International - which is ok and I wanted to joggle the two since they're both flexible. At the orridge interview, the interviewer didn't even bring any scanners to show us or practice with and every week I get an email from them saying that my programme has been completed but I am not scheduled for any work. I called them a couple of times to find out why I hadn't been given any jobs - even though I keep my availability diary up to date - and the girl claimed that she had been contacting me and texting me but I never responded. Pure lie!!! I have never received any texts from orridge and the two calls I ever got from them were when I was at work with WIS, which I answered. I'd advise anyone to forget about orridge and check out WIS International. They're looking for people to join the company and you will be taken to a shop to test the scanners and your skill using them.

this is 100% true
My boyfriend worked with them years ago said they were ****.
OCS have raised their pay- £7.06! :smile:
Reply 26
I used to work for Orridge doing Pharmacy - I seriously suggest you avoid doing any Pharmacy work for them as most of their Pharmacy people left as they have lost virtually all of the work they used to have. The money is also terrible, you get more for counting these days as they messed about with the wage structure.
Reply 27
Maybe I should explain - as I'm here right now and as a former employee - how their hiring policy with students works. Basically, they have a few clients for which they require a large number of staff, either becaue they haven't got enough of the regular employees who'll work weekends (they don't get paid extra so why bother if you're getting 4 or 5 days during the week?) or they've agreed to do two or three large shops on the same day and are undermanned. These clients are usually supermarkets or out-of-town DIY places, who only want the work done on a Sunday most of the time. You get recruited and then you might get two or three sundays a month if you're lucky. You might get one or two other jobs if they're right where you live and somebody else drops out on the morning of the job.

Some of these jobs could be three hours from where you live and they'll provide a coach to take you there. You don't get paid for travel time. You'd get there at 2PM possibly and do the stockrooms before the shop shuts and, then when it shuts and not before, you do the shop and you'll be on site until the job is finished, which might be 2 AM sometimes.

Nobody wants a stocktake before Xmas so don't expect any jobs at all in December. In fact, you might only get half-a-dozen jobs in a whole year and, if they don't think you're up to it or one of the supervisors takes a dislike to you you'll never get another job at all.

But don't let me put you off :-)
Orridge Suck, worked with them for 3 years. The first while was good for work and regular but since all cut backs etc they prefer to give people off of job seekers jobs as they get a grant from the government for giving them X amount of shifts. Their work force are badly treated although most on the ''ground'' are very nice the people in the office treat you like fecal matter. I was one of their top counters via the league but eventually failed to receive jobs. My recommendation is do NOT see this as a full time or part time job its more of a ' i'll stick my name down and maybe make extra cash when i can/if i can'. Pay is half decent and work is easy, however don't expect all the counters to count, a lot are lazy and don't bother working which makes you feel like why should i work my socks off. Honest opinion stay away.

Hope this helps
Reply 29
I'm currently (spose to be) working for orridge but at one job which was mice infested with droppings all over stock room- some swept into piles and left on floor in full view, myself along with colleagues wanted to down tools after finding a dead mouse stuck on one box but management said those who didn't want to work would be up for disciplinary if they left so stuck with no choice it was reported to the local paper as they had done a story on infestation a wk prior, since then they haven't sacked me but are not giving me any jobs, I looked at a constructive dismissal case but haven't been there long enough, I had previously recommended place to family for work but I now wouldn't recommend the place no matter how desperate you are, I can't believe a company can be so petty after forcing staff to work around such filth
Reply 30
@thewlesy

Report the supervisor to their boss as this is a major contravention of Health and Safety that they should've reported as soon as they got there and also notified the office about on the Health and Safety form they legally have to fill out on every single job now. If they didn't do that - not to mention threatening you that you'd be disciplined if you didn't work in unhealthy conditions - then they are the ones who may well end up getting sacked. Orridge aren't the greatest company by any means but they do take Health and Safety a little bit seriously as I believe they've had legal trouble with it before.

The resposibility for Health and Safety goes right to the top of the firm, if one of you had come to any kind of harm from working in those conditions everybody from your supervisor, his manager and at least one member of the board could've found themselves in court - and this isn't an exaggeration either as the law has been tightened a lot in the last few years, and as a former supervisor I know how much they used to bang on about it. If their Manager isn't interested then take it to the Directors...
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi does stock taking involve a lot of kneeling and squatting
Original post by baggsy87
As title, anyone heard about someone or worked for Orridge, It is a zero hour contract but do you get a decent level of hours per week in or is it just a waste of time? thanks

Hi is there kneeling or squatting involved even sitting on the floor many thanks
Original post by gina papa
Hi is there kneeling or squatting involved even sitting on the floor many thanks

Yep but if you can’t do that for a medical reason I’m sure you can get a note and just count locations that don’t require it/get a stool. Some stores will be worse than others for squatting
Is Orridge a good company to work for and are the hours reliable?
Reply 35
How do i get my train fare paid back?
Just had an interview like no other with them. Part of the quiz involved making the high scoring scrabble word possible. **** it, it's 7.80 an hour an I can stay in a hotel and maybe see my cousins if I get sent to Inverness.
Oh yes! That's the worst part of it. And not just squatting and kneeling, lying down on the sometimes rather dirty floor so you can count the stuff on the bottom shelf.As others have said, this is a flexible job that would be perfect for a little supplementary income to add to another salary
Reply 38
it depends i worked for orridge and did 5 days a week some workers only got 1 if they were lucky
Reply 39
The job of stock taking is not difficult, however physically active as it involves lifting of heavy boxes, sometimes downloading and loading palettes of stock. However, keep in mind that in real terms you will get paid £3,50- 4.50 p/h as the company does not consider the travel time which may take even 8-10 hours per a day. Expect to be scheduled for work on long distance, like 210 miles for example (one way). More importantly the drivers using their own vehicles or the company's cars work along with the counters apart of the driving. In the end, how does this apply to health and safety regulations? Drivers are overtired, managing few hours sleep per a night, being responsible for the life of many other people in the vehicles and on the road. Additionally the company does not provide uniforms, but they expect you to have the required clothes. For working in fridges and freezers, again they do not provide appropriate wear. Extra time is not paid with higher rate, neither weekends or the time after midnight. For 12 working hours you are entitled of 2x20 minutes break. Everyone who is smart enough will figure out how this can be defined as a good business ethics and responsibility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending