The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 161
I live in London & in my area ѳere are 5 bus operators: London United, Go-Ahead, Metroline, Abellio & Quality Line.
:suitc:
:suitd:London United: Puŋctual & Fast & wiѳ nice buses operating on most routes, but staff are unfriendly.
:suitd:Go-Ahead: Slow, þ more popular bus is usually þ least frequent & least puŋctual one wiѳ old & dirty buses, but staff are friendly.
:suitd:Metroline: I don't use ѳem much, but from my experience buses are puŋctual & fast but old & dirty. Staff are friendly.
:suitd:Abellio: Buses are modern & clean (& from Dutch manufacturers) but tend to be late & slow. A bus once waited for 10 minutes outside the depot for a driver to fetch his Thermos flask during a driver change. Staff are unfriendly.
:suitd:Quality Line: Buses tend to be punctual except for long-distance routes & around Heathrow Airport. Buses are modern & very nice. Staff are friendly.
Yesterday in London I was waiting at a crowded bus stop 1st in line & þ bus
stopped but þ driver shook his fist at me, let no-one on or off & drove off. It was a London United bus.
They might be tired...
Original post by James A
Well when you mean 'England', you need to be more specific.

In London I think the bus drivers are alright, I usually am the last person to get off at Turnpike Lane Station and I always exit through the front door (even though it's a double decker bus and has it's rear door open) and say 'cheers' to the bus driver. 95% of them have acknowledged me by nodding their head, which is all you want really from them. Having said that, I've been getting off at Turnpike Lane to catch the tube literally 100's of times.

If when you say you are the last person to get off you mean that the bus has reached the end of the route then that doesn't count since the driver will be happy that either he's within an hour of grub time or even better soon to be on his way home.

Either way he also has a few minutes of peace and not having to deal with annoying passengers to look forward to :smile:

If on the other hand you mean that you wait for everyone else to get off before alighting then good for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Sometimes the bus drivers won't let me off the bus. Luckily I can get off at the next stop and enter my road from the other end but that way is longer. I don't understand why they won't let me of because I've pressed the bell thing (whatever you call it). There are other times where I walk down the stairs a bit too late but you can hear when someone walks down the stairs. They just won't let me off till the next stop.
Original post by ccity
I live in London & in my area ѳere are 5 bus operators: London United, Go-Ahead, Metroline, Abellio & Quality Line.
:suitd:London United: Puŋctual & Fast & wiѳ nice buses operating on most routes, but staff are unfriendly.
:suitd:Go-Ahead: Slow, þ more popular bus is usually þ least frequent & least puŋctual one wiѳ old & dirty buses, but staff are friendly.
:suitd:Metroline: I don't use ѳem much, but from my experience buses are puŋctual & fast but old & dirty. Staff are friendly.
:suitd:Abellio: Buses are modern & clean (& from Dutch manufacturers) but tend to be late & slow. A bus once waited for 10 minutes outside the depot for a driver to fetch his Thermos flask during a driver change. Staff are unfriendly.
:suitd:Quality Line: Buses tend to be punctual except for long-distance routes & around Heathrow Airport. Buses are modern & very nice. Staff are friendly.
Yesterday in London I was waiting at a crowded bus stop 1st in line & þ bus
stopped but þ driver shook his fist at me, let no-one on or off & drove off. It was a London United bus.

Bit unfair of you to assume the Abellio driver was filling his thermos for 10 minutes.

He was doubtless either keeping up with the latest current affairs in the paper,evacuating his bowels or both.

(Edit if in fact he or she or the other driver actually told the passengers that was the reason for the delay then that was rather stupid of them as it can only give a bad impression.)

Other than that I must say I'm impressed with your observation skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jabberwox
As someone who has to take the bus quite frequently, this is an issue which has been bugging me recently. I find bus drivers incredibly rude. I understand that they have a lot to deal with and a timetable to stick to, but most bus drivers lack simple courtesy such as a simple 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye'.

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable.

I've been told on several occasions that this sort of rowdy behavior is confined to just England. People have said to me that the people in scotland, ireland and wales are very nice, polite and full of warmth. I am not sure how true this is but I'm merely sharing with you what I've told by many others before.
Reply 167
Happens to me constantly, today I got off the first bus I take a bit later on because of heavy traffic, and I seen my bus and I knocked the door (he was stopped at traffic lights) and asked if I could please get on, to which he shouted,
Haven't met a rude bus driver so far :^_^:
Reply 169
Last time i took a bus in my town, i was running late to school and the trains were cancelled. So as we approached the relevant bus stop i did the whole, pressing the stop button, very visibly clabbering my way through a packed bus of awkward teenagers and preteens, and was so close to getting out the bus when the bus driver closed the door. I was inches away. So i turned and was like ? could you let me out please?? At this point we were still stationary, and the bus driver told me it's not my fault, you were too late. Like???? No one even exited the bus at that stop? It was just me? You couldn't have waited 20 seconds??? So i ended up standing clutching the pole at the steps for the next 10 minutes, face to face with kids from my old school who i low-key hated. It was great.

On the other hand, my experiences with the bus services at exeter and swansea were beautiful :smile: the drivers were so kind and in one instance where i was hurrying from bus stop to bus stop trying to figure out which one goes to the nearest train station (i rarely ever take the bus LOL) i recall one of the bus drivers (one i'd talked to at a previous bus stop) stopping in the middle of the street, saw me struggling and pulled their window to advise me further. You do get good and bad people, but since we remember the bad experiences most, i wouldn't be so hasty to say that bus drivers in general are all awful.
(edited 7 years ago)
There is this 1 bus driver near my area in London (Croydon), who is no ordinary bus driver, he is the most happiest, friendliest and funniest person let alone bus driver I have ever seen in my life and looks scarily similar to Pharrell Williams.
I have found this a rather interesting thread and at times made me giggle. People seem to talk about Bus Drivers as though its a totally unique job unlike any other.

You find a bus driver rude. Do you not find a person in another job rude? Have you never experienced a rude shop assistant, or a rude teacher. Bus drivers are people and of course you will find some happy ones and of course some rude ones.

I read an interesting post in which someone claimed most bus drivers are rude and yet went on to say later in their post that most drivers from their home town are happy and pleasant.

One of the common stereo types is the ten or twenty pound note. When a bus driver is not provided with a float by the company and thus has to provide £60 of his or her own money just so that the first three customers at 5am can purchase a £1.00 fare with a twenty pound note, do you not feel he would be justified in feeling at least a little fustrated?

What about the person who was refused travel because they were a few pence short? If I go into Sainsburys and purchase my shopping and Im 50p short should the cashier just let it go and allow me to have the extra shopping just because Im hungry?

Also, the person who complains because the driver doesnt say thank you? Not every customer says thank you, but thats OK. Many times you get some customer get on with headphones on and music blaring out, shouts "SINGLE" to the driver and then gets fustrated because the driver doesnt know where the cusomer wants a single to. Mnay customers get on while on a phone call and get angry at the driver because they have to interupt the phone call to buy a driver. I mean, how rude, how dare a bus driver pick up a customer on time at a designated bus stop and interupt a very important phone call about how many samubas were drunk the previous night.

The point Im making is that while you can pick up many complaints about bus drivers I feel it a) represents a small minority of drivers and b) whatever can be said about bus drivers can equally be said about any people that you wish to place a label on. Im not excusing a bad bus driver and most of you catch a specific bus and often dont get a fair cross section of buses to see what the majority of drivers are like.
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with bus drivers, try complaining to the company if a driver is particularly obnoxious, I used to drive buses and coaches, give me a coach any day at least most of the passengers are out for a pleasant day, I had nothing but abuse as a bus driver most days but still tried to remain professional, having said that there is no excuse for rudeness on either side
I wonder if it has anything to do with driving a giant metal death contraption and having to pay constant attention in order not to mow down pedestrians and crush smaller vehicles.

That said I've never had any issues with bus drivers myself :dontknow:
they have to deal with angry and rude passengers, fortunately I haven't met any furious bus drivers
I hate bus drivers just because I'm not an adult they feel the need to be rude and yet once when I was getting my ticket on the bus I said please and he gave me the ticket but I dint say thankyu yet he shouted at me for being impolite yet that was what he was doing! I wish there were nicer bus drivers...
I know exactly what you mean. I'm visually impaired and so I can't see the numbers on the front of the bus and spotting my stop, and even scanning the bus for empty seats.

I often get bus drivers telling me to 'read for myself' the number on the front, and they rush me when I'm trying to check I'm paying the correct money. And they drive off abruptly when I'm still looking for a seat. The worst thing is when someone tells me I don't deserve to sit in the priority seats (meant for people with disabilities, which I have, or pregnant or elederly people. Of course, if there was someone struggling to stand I would give up my seat, but if there is nobody else requiring it, it is necessary for me to sit there so I can find somewhere quick before the driver sets off, and so I can see my stop earlier from the front of the bus.

Then you've got the lack of basic manners. Not all bus drivers are like this, but a fair few. It's very disappointing.
You need to stop studying and get a job..then see if your complaints are valid...but people like you you cop out in getting a real job and settle for bar work or something that don't demand complete concentration
Reply 178
You do realise that the change they carry is their own money in most cases and for every penny someone doesn't pay the driver it comes out of their pocket.
Original post by Jabberwox
As someone who has to take the bus quite frequently, this is an issue which has been bugging me recently. I find bus drivers incredibly rude. I understand that they have a lot to deal with and a timetable to stick to, but most bus drivers lack simple courtesy such as a simple 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye'.

Recently I had a bus driver shake his fist at me for no reason when I raised my hand as he stopped the bus. Once I sat down, I noticed he'd printed out a Single ticket instead of the Return I had asked for. I decided to wait until we'd stopped in town before I told him about the error, so I didn't disturb him from driving. When I told him, he shouted "WHY DO YOU TELL ME NOW AND NOT BEFORE?" There was a definite language barrier, but I don't understand why he had to shout and get so angry over something which was his error in the first place :s-smilie:

Most bus drivers I've witnessed are so horrible to other people, especially the elderly. I've seen people ask them brief questions and they get incredibly impatient and rude. I saw one old woman with about 10 shopping bags ask the driver if he could just wait a little until she found her ticket in her bag, and he shouted at her that he couldn't wait and for her to get off, so she had to get off and wait even longer.

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable. Why go for the job in the first place if you're aware that it will demanding and tiring and you'll be dealing with a lot of people?

Has anyone else had bad experiences with bus drivers?

They drive buses for a living - how would you feel?

Latest