The Student Room Group

Lewis/ bronsted acid/ base

I'm getting a bit confused. Here we can see the water has accepted a proton so we can all it jronsted lowry base or Lewis acid but if we look to the right of the arrow there is an arrow showing the dative covslent bond and how the electron pair has gone from the oxygen to the hydrogen ..so the electron pair is being donated from the oxygen to the hydrogen so now it looks like the water is a bronsted lowry acid ...eh ..I'm getting rather confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Water can be viewed here as either a Bronsted-Lowry base, or as a Lewis base; it's certainly not a BL acid or Lewis acid!

Bronsted-Lowry base: water accepts a proton.
Lewis base: water donates an electron pair.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
Water can be viewed here as either a Bronsted-Lowry base, or as a Lewis base; it's certainly not a BL acid or Lewis acid!

Bronsted-Lowry base: water accepts a proton.
Lewis base: water donates an electron pair.

Thanks - made me realise that I had my definitions mixed up

Cool avatar by the way :rofl:
Reply 3
Original post by charco
H2O + H2O --> H3O+ + OH-

The first water molecule on the left hand side donates a proton. It is a BL acid ...
The second water molecule on the left hand side accepts a proton. It is a BL base ...

Water is both an acid and a base by the Bronsted Lowry (and Arrhenius) definitions.

Yes, that's right. But *here*, as in the OP's example, water is only acting as a base.

I don't see what you mean about it not being a Lewis base; it's using a lone pair to accept the proton. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BJack
Yes, that's right. But *here*, as in the OP's example, water is only acting as a base.

Yeah, I didn't open the attachment!

Quick Reply

Latest