The Student Room Group

Paying for your own uniform

Okay, I've got a job for the summer and today I've had an email saying I need to buy uniform from them and not anywhere else. I'm pretty annoyed, because I think it's a lot of money to pay when you can get them much cheaper without the company logo. This is the first mention of this, since I applied for the job in March, had a day of interviews etc. It's also not mentioned in the contract, which I have already signed.

Basically, I was wondering if this is legal of them?

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
If its not in the contract, you're not obliged by law to do it.
Its also pretty sh*tty of them to make you pay for their uniform. I'm working at a hotel this summer and I get my uniform provided, as far as I know.
Reply 2
You can claim for logo-carrying uniform against your tax allowance.

Still pretty ****ty of them though.
I'm sure you'll make that money back in a few hours of work though
Original post by remrod
If its not in the contract, you're not obliged by law to do it.
Its also pretty sh*tty of them to make you pay for their uniform. I'm working at a hotel this summer and I get my uniform provided, as far as I know.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
You can claim for logo-carrying uniform against your tax allowance.

Still pretty ****ty of them though.

Reply 6

Thank you :smile: It says it is for washing, repairing and replacing though, so I don't think it applies to me!
Reply 8
Original post by psychstudent95
Thank you :smile: It says it is for washing, repairing and replacing though, so I don't think it applies to me!

Ah I see, maybe the other person will come back and tell you what they mean! (although it may fall under 'replacing'? Although you would be replacing nothing.)

It will apply to you when you have the uniform though...
Original post by WhiteTea
Ah I see, maybe the other person will come back and tell you what they mean! (although it may fall under 'replacing'? Although you would be replacing nothing.)

It will apply to you when you have the uniform though...

I'll look into it more and see if it counts :smile: It's good to know for the future though even if it doesn't apply now. Although, I think that it's pretty wrong that the government is paying you for your clothes, imo it should be the company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending