The Student Room Group

Shoe shop - need some advice urgently please :)

So I've recently got a job in a well known shoe shop. I've done one shift and didn't get on the shop floor at all, I was just cleaning the stock room and other things that didn't involve any interaction with customers.
The lady who inducted me isn't there for my second shift tomorrow and the manager is in and I know she's going to expect me to go out on the shop floor and the feeling I get is that not a lot is going to be explained to me.
I've never worked in retail before and I need to know how to approach customers... What to say... Ect.
is there anybody here that's had any experience that can give me some pointers? I literally know nothing and I'm so nervous. Like what do I say to a customer when they come in? Do I approach them or wait for them to approach me?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Xxx
Original post by Flower legs
So I've recently got a job in a well known shoe shop. I've done one shift and didn't get on the shop floor at all, I was just cleaning the stock room and other things that didn't involve any interaction with customers.
The lady who inducted me isn't there for my second shift tomorrow and the manager is in and I know she's going to expect me to go out on the shop floor and the feeling I get is that not a lot is going to be explained to me.
I've never worked in retail before and I need to know how to approach customers... What to say... Ect.
is there anybody here that's had any experience that can give me some pointers? I literally know nothing and I'm so nervous. Like what do I say to a customer when they come in? Do I approach them or wait for them to approach me?

You don't want to be pushy as it can scare customers away. I would say hello to customers if eye contact was made. If they are looking confused or looking around for help, it's fine to go over and ask if they need any assistance. If they do, they will tell you exactly what they want, if not, just tell them to let you know if they need any help.

Also, don't just stand around doing nothing, managers tend to hate that, always keep yourself busy. Find gaps on shelves and restock, and make sure all of the shoes (and boxes) are straight and presentable at all times. This will also help you to familiarise yourself with the stock, which is very important.

Remember to smile lots and act very professional at all times and I'm sure you'll impress.
I work in a shoe shop too, on the childrens department, and when I started I was terrified about interacting with customers, I was basically in the same position as you and my manager is an absolute dragon. BUT it does get easier.
Don't be so nervous about talking to customers, they won't bite and if they ask a question about shoes you can't answer just direct her to someone who will know (I still do :P). When a customer is in and you approach them just say, "are you okay there?" or "can I help you with anything?", they might ask for help but if they say they are just looking then stay close by in case they change their mind. Just be polite and they will be too.
Don't be afraid to ask for help! they were all new once too and its in their best interest for you to be well trained. I singled out the nicest person that worked there and sort of used them as a mentor so I felt comfortable to ask questions and could watch how to interact with customers.
The job will get easier, it's tough at first but you'll find that chatting to customers will quickly become the easiest part of the job, just relax around them. When there's no customers keep yourself busy and familiarise yourself with the stock. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AliceDonnelly
I work in a shoe shop too, on the childrens department, and when I started I was terrified about interacting with customers, I was basically in the same position as you and my manager is an absolute dragon. BUT it does get easier.
Don't be so nervous about talking to customers, they won't bite and if they ask a question about shoes you can't answer just direct her to someone who will know (I still do :P). When a customer is in and you approach them just say, "are you okay there?" or "can I help you with anything?", they might ask for help but if they say they are just looking then stay close by in case they change their mind. Just be polite and they will be too.
Don't be afraid to ask for help! they were all new once too and its in their best interest for you to be well trained. I singled out the nicest person that worked there and sort of used them as a mentor so I felt comfortable to ask questions and could watch how to interact with customers.
The job will get easier, it's tough at first but you'll find that chatting to customers will quickly become the easiest part of the job, just relax around them. When there's no customers keep yourself busy and familiarise yourself with the stock. :smile:

Don't stand and linger by me in a shoe shop when I'm browsing. If I want help ill ask for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhiteTea
Don't stand and linger by me in a shoe shop when I'm browsing. If I want help ill ask for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference between being there if a customer needs help and 'lingering'. There is also a difference between helping someone on a student website and making an unhelpful snide comment for the sake of it.
Really just do what your manager says, if she says 'don't leave your customer' then do it because at the end of the day there's always going to be snooty customers but your manager is paying you to sell.
But yeah try not to be too close, just somewhere you can still see them :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AliceDonnelly
There's a difference between being there if a customer needs help and 'lingering'. There is also a difference between helping someone on a student website and making an unhelpful snide comment for the sake of it.
Really just do what your manager says, if she says 'don't leave your customer' then do it because at the end of the day there's always going to be snooty customers but your manager is paying you to sell.
But yeah try not to be too close, just somewhere you can still see them :smile:

Sorry if you thought I was being snide, I just genuinely hate it when shop assistants hover over me.

I agree though, just do what your manager says, some shops want their assistants to linger, some don't
Original post by Flower legs

Tell your manager that you have not had any training or experience and he or she will sort something out for you. Some companies have their own policies on how to treat customers and sales targets, so you need to know this first. otherwise treat customers professionally and don't be too pushy or full on. good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending