The Student Room Group

The lack of ties at G8 N. Ireland summit is nauseating!

Does anyone else find the lack of ties on the male leaders at the N. Ireland G8 summit really nauseating, because it such an obvious, try-hard attempt to appear casual and down with the people?

You can tell it was 'call me Dave' who instigated this. Putin looks incredibly uncomfortable.

I just find it so awful and obvious. These men are world leaders, so you expect them to look smart and statesman-like. It annoys me that Cameron has forced his casual attitude onto them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olenna Tyrell

Does anyone else find the lack of ties on the male leaders at the N. Ireland G8 summit really nauseating, because it such an obvious, try-hard attempt to appear casual and down with the people?

You can tell it was 'call me Dave' who instigated this. Putin looks incredibly uncomfortable.

I just find it so awful and obvious. These men are world leaders, so you expect them to look smart and statesman-like. It annoys me that Cameron has forced his casual attitude onto them.

I'm not surprised considering the two people standing to his left :colonhash: But I doubt it was a conscious effort to 'play down' their appearance and to seem casual, more likely they were trying to display some farcical sense of unity to the world.

Edit: I also think Shinzo Abe won the swag award.
(edited 10 years ago)
Putin always looks like he's constipated, nothing new there. Cameron on the other hand looks like he wants to kiss Obama's backside and lick his shoes at every opportunity :biggrin:

With regards to the ties, I don't see it as a big deal. The world is not going to end if they don't wear ties. Personally I find it an unnecessary piece. To be fair at G8 summits it's always been like this where world leaders wear less formal attire for reasons to appear more relaxed. This is nothing new.
Original post by Algorithm69
No it doesn't annoy me. It actually really annoys me that women have such flexibility when it comes to "smart attire" whereas men are stuck with suits.

Is that what really keeps you awake at night?
The Daily Mail said that Cameron took his tie off, so everyone else did.
Reply 5
Angela Merkel must be thinking, "Bunch of *****..."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
What a man Putin is.. :moon:
I think they were worried if they wore ties Putin would go KGB on their ass and start strangling everyone like a deranged hobbit ninja.
Original post by Elm Tree
What a man Putin is.. :moon:

You mean the wannabe Stalin?
They should all wear matching onesies.
Reply 10
I wont lie, thats what hit me first when I saw the video.
Reply 11
I thought the same thing. They look absolutely ridiculous - like fish out of water.
Reply 12
If you must wear a jacket without a tie then at least wear jeans and look semi cool (by middle aged men standards!)
Reply 13
Original post by Algorithm69
No it doesn't annoy me. It actually really annoys me that women have such flexibility when it comes to "smart attire" whereas men are stuck with suits.

This. Women can wear a "nice" tshirt and/or jumper or cardi and fitted jeans and look suitable, but if a man did the same, people would whine
Original post by Olenna Tyrell

Lack of ties - a very important even for world leaders and THATS what your focused on

Jeez get over it, its not like they're dressed in mankinis
Reply 15
They've all got blocky, pointed, hands. It's like they're all of the same family.
Reply 16
Angela meerkat just throws anything on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Martyn*
They've all got blocky, pointed, hands. It's like they're all of the same family.

They are all the same species of Alien that have been sent here to assume all positions of authority.
Reply 18
How do they decide the order they stand in?
They all like they've come from the Estate agents and are for a game of golf.

Wear a tie with a regular suit and shirt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending