The Student Room Group

What happens if other people get better exam results than me?

I've worked hard, but, what happens if people in my class get better results? They'll think they're better than me, and by the exam result, it might look true? And I'll be embarassed. You see it everywhere, even on here, of people boasting how they got the best exam results, and telling people to get better exam results than the ones who bullied them to get their own back? What if I fail and don't get the required grades? They'll have the superiority over me. Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm freaking out after having a humilating day of school!!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And there's kids in Africa worrying about how they can get food and you worry about friends laughing at your results? :s
Original post by yodawg321
And there's kids in Africa worrying about how they can get food and you worry about friends laughing at your results? :s

Hey dude, why don't you make a constructive reply instead of trying to look like a smart alec?
Original post by NWA
You judge superiority by exam results? Dear o dear

No. But, others do, that's for sure.
Reply 4
Then I guess you must kill them all. Sad, but inevitable.
Hey y'know what, I'm just going to ignore all the comments I find annoying or anyone fooling around and just wait for the sensible replies.
Reply 6
I understand where you're coming from. It's really really awful to be at the top of the class, and then suddenly slip a little bit and suddenly people are swarming you, going 'Hahahah I got better than you, look I beat you hahah! Looks like I'm the smart one hahha'
The only thing you can do about it sadly, is ignore them and try better the next time. Don't tell other people your results if you're that worried and besides you've probably done fine and there's no point in worrying about this now
Original post by chikane
If it's an English exam than you have to be worried.

um

*then

THAT FELT GOOD!
Original post by Venturian tale !
I've worked hard, but, what happens if people in my class get better results? They'll think I'm better than me, and by the exam result, it might look true? And I'll be embarassed. You see it everywhere, even on here, of people boasting how they got the best exam results, and telling people to get better exam results than the ones who bullied them to get their own back? What if I fail and don't get the required grades? They'll have the superiority over me. Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm freaking out after having a humilating day of school!!!!!

If someone seriously thinks that they're better than you or superior to you because they did better in an exam, they're an idiot. Similarly, anybody who cares about what other idiots think of them isn't much better themselves. However, it's really not going to be a problem. People get excited about exam results for a week but it gets boring after a while. Bullying certainly isn't going to happen. Besides, most people couldn't care less what others have got.

There are always going to be better people than you; even the most intelligent people have to deal with that. You just need to stop worrying and be happy with your own achievement without worrying about what others think.

Original post by chikane
If it's an English exam than you have to be worried.

Wow I really hope that typo was intentional!
Original post by mollyh77
I understand where you're coming from. It's really really awful to be at the top of the class, and then suddenly slip a little bit and suddenly people are swarming you, going 'Hahahah I got better than you, look I beat you hahah! Looks like I'm the smart one hahha'
The only thing you can do about it sadly, is ignore them and try better the next time. Don't tell other people your results if you're that worried and besides you've probably done fine and there's no point in worrying about this now

You've had people do that ? Damn, I was hoping to be told that I was overreacting and people are mature about it, but, no people actually do that.

Damn. :frown:

Would it look like I got bad results if I didn't tell anyone what I got? Or could I get away with it?
Reply 10
I've worked hard, but, what happens if people in my class get better results? They'll think I'm better than me, and by the exam result, it might look true? And I'll be embarassed. You see it everywhere, even on here, of people boasting how they got the best exam results, and telling people to get better exam results than the ones who bullied them to get their own back? What if I fail and don't get the required grades? They'll have the superiority over me. Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm freaking out after having a humilating day of school!!!!!

If that's what you think, then you should have started studying before anyone else in your class. People that got higher grades than you deserved it because they put in more effort. So next time start studying earlier and put in more effort than anyone else so that you get the best results.
Original post by Sai4
If that's what you think, then you should have started studying before anyone else in your class. People that got higher grades than you deserved it because they put in more effort. So next time start studying earlier and put in more effort than anyone else so that you get the best results.

That would be easier to take. I just don't want people thinking they're better than me. I guess that could be motivation to do better than ever. But, you never know what you're going to get. I fear humilation.
Reply 12
Original post by Chlorophile
If someone seriously thinks that they're better than you or superior to you because they did better in an exam, they're an idiot. Similarly, anybody who cares about what other idiots think of them isn't much better themselves. However, it's really not going to be a problem. People get excited about exam results for a week but it gets boring after a while. Bullying certainly isn't going to happen. Besides, most people couldn't care less what others have got.

There are always going to be better people than you; even the most intelligent people have to deal with that. You just need to stop worrying and be happy with your own achievement without worrying about what others think.

Wow I really hope that typo was intentional!

of course :wink:
You need to sort out your priorities. Yes, people judge your intelligence based on your grades, which we all know is not the best system as GCSEs/A levels require hard work mostly. However, life is not about grades and an Asian swat (I'm blindly assuming you're not an Asian swat and don't mind stereotypes) is not 'superior' to someone with real intellect. Quit worrying about how people perceive you.
The world will explode.

Seriously, someone, somewhere, is going to do better than you. It's a fact of life. Just deal with it and be proud of your own accomplishments. (Though admittedly, if I don't beat a certain guy I know I'm going to be pissed, but he's just a self-righteous knob.)
Reply 15
You've had people do that ? Damn, I was hoping to be told that I was overreacting and people are mature about it, but, no people actually do that.

Damn. :frown:

Would it look like I got bad results if I didn't tell anyone what I got? Or could I get away with it?

It was a while ago (like two yearsish) , and not for proper exams, just class tests and end of year things, but yeahh. It was some of my best friends at the time too :s-smilie: But they are really some of the most immature and insecure people I know now, so hopefully they're not representative of the population as a whole! People are most likely to act maturely but there is a chance. And I would say even if they don't outright say it, they would privately celebrate a little (who wouldn't?) BUT you shouldn't be worrying about this anyway because you'll be fine
And you probably could get away with not telling anyone, you'd have to execute it carefully though
Reply 16
um

*then

THAT FELT GOOD!

lol your English is up to scratch so you have no reason to worry about your results :wink:
Reply 17
No. But, others do, that's for sure.

You do realise you can't learn everything in the class room. The tests you do at school are a mere test of memory, not knowledge.
I guess I'll have to stop caring what people think.

I'll probably stop people finding out what I got, just in case though.
I've had a somewhat dark thought. What if I lie about my results, just in case anyone got any better results?

Quick Reply

Latest