The Student Room Group

What happens if other people get better exam results than me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How old are you?
Original post by Venturian tale !
I've had a somewhat dark thought. What if I lie about my results, just in case anyone got any better results?

Why? Why do you care what other people think? The only thing that lying will do is cause some long term problem.
Original post by Chlorophile
Why? Why do you care what other people think? The only thing that lying will do is cause some long term problem.

Yeah, but, I could prevent others from finding out? There shouldn't be too much trouble after that.
Reply 23
I've had a somewhat dark thought. What if I lie about my results, just in case anyone got any better results?

No this is a baaad idea. Imagine people finding out that you didn't get thos results (because they will) and how much more 'superior' they'll feel when they find out you lied and pretended you got better than you did. You'll just look sillyyyy
To be quite honest, I really doubt people will think they're superior to you based on grades. Most people probably won't care.

I think that would cause more problems than it'd solve to be honest. It'll be fine, honestly. :smile:
Yeah, but, I could prevent others from finding out? There shouldn't be too much trouble after that.

Yeah exactly. Just don't tell people. Simple.
Original post by Chlorophile
Yeah exactly. Just don't tell people. Simple.

I would rather do that than lie about it tbh.

Then they can't judge me.
Hello! I've been through this plenty of times and honestly? It isn't worth it. You should feel happy and content with yourself that you have put the effort in and that's all that can be asked of you. Your not some sort of robot are you? You don't have to tell your classmates of what you achieved, open your results at home perhaps? The fact is you have it your best and you've certainly improved your chances at succeeding. People cannot take your efforts away from you so stay positive.

DO YOUR BEST AND FORGET THE REST!!!

Peace out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
"It's as Mrs Lynde says, the sun will go on rising and setting whether you pass in Geometry or not."
-Anne of Green Gables

You'll live.
Reply 29
Just get your results and go? That's what I did for GCSE as my mum didn't want to hang around and she was giving me a lift. I do think that people can be ********s with exam results, in January I did really well, but I didn't get above 90% when I knew I needed an A* for my offer so I was a bit gutted. My one friend thought it was hilarious :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Well by God, the last thing you should do is come on TSR if you don't want to see people getting better results than you
I've worked hard, but, what happens if people in my class get better results? They'll think they're better than me, and by the exam result, it might look true? And I'll be embarassed. You see it everywhere, even on here, of people boasting how they got the best exam results, and telling people to get better exam results than the ones who bullied them to get their own back? What if I fail and don't get the required grades? They'll have the superiority over me. Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm freaking out after having a humilating day of school!!!!!

That's an inevitability of life, you better get used to it.
Reply 32
I think you should dance !

on a serious note, does it matter if someone gets higher than you? I always got the highest mark in the class and i never boasted, i could feel jealousy sometimes from the nerds in the class though but it was nothing personal. On results day whatever happened, be it GCSE, A Level, Uni etc i always manage to break into a dance! last time i did the robot :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by NWA
You do realise you can't learn everything in the class room. The tests you do at school are a mere test of memory, not knowledge.

That is such a valid point!
I like to consider myself intelligent, however I'm probably around 5th 'smartest' in my class of around 30. The 'smartest' girl gets constant As and A*s in all her subjects, but I think I am more 'intelligent' than she is, because she (has boasted and admitted this fact before) reads ONLY what she needs to know, and nothing else, where I have an interest in a subject, and know more about it, but not necessarily what I need to know to pass the exam.

So if there was to be an unannounced exam in English that dealt with a random poem, I would do better, but if the test was to involve an analysis on a book that had been given to the class to study a year before the exam, she'd do better. Not because she's more intelligent, or even better, but because she has a better memory.
Reply 34
Original post by River Shadow
To be quite honest, I really doubt people will think they're superior to you based on grades. Most people probably won't care.

I beg to differ! As a student of an all girls school, I am aware of how petty girls can be (and are). We all secretly love to compare our results to everyone else, and when we -- me included, ngl -- get better grades than the top two girls in the school (who constantly boast or mention how well they did in their exams), it can be a pretty rewarding achievement.

It's like a form of self validation. 'S true. :rolleyes:
Original post by fuglycorn
I beg to differ! As a student of an all girls school, I am aware of how petty girls can be (and are). We all secretly love to compare our results to everyone else, and when we -- me included, ngl -- get better grades than the top two girls in the school (who constantly boast or mention how well they did in their exams), it can be a pretty rewarding achievement.

It's like a form of self validation. 'S true. :rolleyes:

I definitely agree with what you're saying about it being quite rewarding to have got a better mark than those perceived the smartest, and I think sometimes we'd get jealous of people who'd done better - it's natural to compare etc to some degree (I went to a girls' school too), but I don't think it's as massive a thing as the OP suggests/something worth worrying about. For the most part, the majority won't care/pay that much attention/remember for that long. Ultimately, people will be a hell of a lot more interested in their own results - interest in others' results is really transient, and I dispute what the OP says about people thinking they're superior if he doesn't do as well.
Reply 36
Original post by mollyh77
It's really really awful to be at the top of the class, and then suddenly slip a little bit and suddenly people are swarming you, going 'Hahahah I got better than you, look I beat you hahah! Looks like I'm the smart one hahha'

I completely agree with this. It has happened to me a few times, and what I find is most effective with dealing with this is, if you can, keep your grades to yourself whether they're fantastic or excruciatingly bad. Believe me, after a while people get used to that and stop caring about getting better grades than you.
Original post by yodawg321
And there's kids in Africa worrying about how they can get food and you worry about friends laughing at your results? :s

...and there are also plenty of children in the UK worry about where their next meal will come from too :rolleyes:

Get over yourself we all have out problems how the hell does your homer contribute to the OP's situation?

It doesn't!

OP other people should not be your concern do you and boldly your hard work will show in your results! :smile:
Reply 38
Our outcomes are continually affected by how we are seen by others, but this does not mean you must obsess about it and become upset! You are living a life that is your own, do not put others in the spotlight, remember that your world revolves around you, because you are living it. To worry about such matters is unnecessary and generally a hindrance to your ambitions.

Read Camus' 'The Outsider'
Happens to the best of us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending