The Student Room Group

52mph in 30 zone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TBH they should ban you from driving. Just because you couldn't give a **** about other people around you doesn't give you the right to play with their lives. Driving is a privilege not a right. Grow the **** up, man.
Reply 21
Original post by Yawn11
Some judgmental nerds on here man.

Probably gonna have 3 points and a fine.

That or they know people who are wheelchair bound because of twatty boy racers and their lack of respect for driving.
Reply 22
Original post by Steezy
all of the drivers in the world who stick to the speed limit show up.

IRL noone goes the speed limit and if they do they cause a tailback of about 10 cars

Having said that.... 52 is slightly excessive.

The award for the most contradicting post goes to.....

I stick to the speed limit. Would you believe because I wish to not endanger my life, the lives of other motorists and pedestrians.

If you're going 52 in a 30 zone accept whatever fate you're given. Learn to drive not just how to make a car move.

--
~Mat~
Student at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Just leaving this here...

Reply 24
Original post by rmhumphries
Exactly. This isn't 80 in a 70, or 60 in a 50 even, but almost double the speed limit in what I assume is a residential area.

The thing is, you've assumed it's a residential area. I drive through lots of places where there seems to be absolutely no reason for it being 30.
Reply 25
Original post by Mattheatre
The award for the most contradicting post goes to.....

I stick to the speed limit. Would you believe because I wish to not endanger my life, the lives of other motorists and pedestrians.

If you're going 52 in a 30 zone accept whatever fate you're given. Learn to drive not just how to make a car move.

--
~Mat~
Student at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama

It's not contradictory. The first point was that (seperate from this thread) everybody on TSR seems to have a zero tolerance policy on speeding, yet in realy life it is uncommon to see more than 1 in 10 cars not speeding.

The second point was that, having made the statement about TSR members' intolerance, in this case it may be justified as 22 mph above the limit is too much.
Reply 26
It escapes me how someone could feel it is acceptable to go 50mph in a 30 zone. 35 etc is perhaps common or expected, even 40 is, in some, albeit rare, circumstances, but 50mph is just unsafe both for the driver and for other people. Madness.
Original post by Steezy
The thing is, you've assumed it's a residential area. I drive through lots of places where there seems to be absolutely no reason for it being 30.

That's not the point.
Also, it annoys me to the core when you see people driving well above the speed limit. Sure, going like 5mph above it is no big deal, but when you get people doing 50 in a 30mph zone, they just think they're king of the roads.

It's usually these people that pose a danger to everyone and think it's cool.
Original post by Steezy

Probability says if it is a 30-zone, it is most likely to be a residential area of some description.
On the way home from watching the fast and furious? :wink:
Reply 31
Tbf to the op, there are some places where if you drive at the speed limit it will feel absolutely chronic
Reply 32
Over the years, I have driven over a 30 limit a lot of the time - but have only ever once had a verbal warning by the roadside for doing 40. 10% is a reasonable measure of a maximum acceptable level of 'speed' - anything more is just silly dangerous and deserves higher insurance.

Modern cars do make it far too easy to speed - they are so powerful, quiet and smooth. I drive a 20 year old classic mini - it feels and sounds fast, even at 30!

If your insurance is very high, I don't know if anything ever came of the black box scheme to help keep it down - http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/how-a-black-box-means-cheaper-car-insurance-for-young-drivers?

Obviously, the first thing you have to accept is that the aim is to drive to 30 in a 30 limit.If you accept that, then I find putting the car into 3rd as to enter the 30 limit helps keep the speed down - the higher revs of the engine provide very definite feedback that you are speeding.
Reply 33
Original post by James A
Also, it annoys me to the core when you see people driving well above the speed limit. Sure, going like 5mph above it is no big deal, but when you get people doing 50 in a 30mph zone, they just think they're king of the roads.

It's usually these people that pose a danger to everyone and think it's cool.

This is the point I was making. You said it yourself - "sure, 5mph above the speed limit is no big deal".

However, I've seen other threads on here about speeding where everyone rips the person to shreds when they were hardly even above the speed limit. These are the people I was commenting on who don't seem to actually exist on the roads because everyone does 5mph above the speed limit. Where are you people? Not in my area, that's for sure.

50 in a 30 is obviously excessive which I mentioned before.
Original post by Steezy
This is the point I was making. You said it yourself - "sure, 5mph above the speed limit is no big deal".

However, I've seen other threads on here about speeding where everyone rips the person to shreds when they were hardly even above the speed limit. These are the people I was commenting on who don't seem to actually exist on the roads because everyone does 5mph above the speed limit. Where are you people? Not in my area, that's for sure.

50 in a 30 is obviously excessive which I mentioned before.

Fair enough.
Reply 35
Who do you think you are someone from fast and furious?
Original post by Steezy

So you're saying it's all right to go at 52 mph in a 30 zone because you personally don't see the point in it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by deedee123
So you're saying it's all right to go at 52 mph in a 30 zone because you personally don't see the point in it?

No, that's not what I said at all.

I guess you haven't read my other posts?
Original post by Steezy
No, that's not what I said at all.

I guess you haven't read my other posts?

I just read them, that comment just seemed a bit off topic as we're talking about someone doing 52, not 35. :tongue: I understand going over the speed limit but i hate people who give others that are sticking to the speed limit a hard time, don't expect everyone to go the speed you want them to- that person in front of you doing 30 could already have 9 points on their licence or whatever. (my dad is terrible for that :tongue:)

I stick to the speed limit because i don't want to lose my licence (i only have 6 points to rack up) we're not all just doing it to annoy other road users.
Reply 39
Original post by deedee123
I just read them, that comment just seemed a bit off topic as we're talking about someone doing 52, not 35. :tongue: I understand going over the speed limit but i hate people who give others that are sticking to the speed limit a hard time, don't expect everyone to go the speed you want them to- that person in front of you doing 30 could already have 9 points on their licence or whatever. (my dad is terrible for that :tongue:)

I stick to the speed limit because i don't want to lose my licence (i only have 6 points to rack up) we're not all just doing it to annoy other road users.

My comment, albeit off topic and probably begging for negs, was more a comment on the general attitude towards any type of speeding from seemingly all TSR users, who must all live in the same community where absolutely noone ever speeds.

In real life on the roads, I might encounter someone doing the speed limit once a week if that. In those cases I don't stay right up their arse or show any signs of frustration because at the end of the day, they're sticking to the law and that's fine. However, the moralistic attitude of the people of TSR is pretty hypocritical because based on my experiences with other drivers, it's unlikely they stick to the speed limit either.

Quick Reply

Latest