The Student Room Group

52mph in 30 zone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c_al
Nope. At all speeds, thinking time accounts for less than half the distance that is required to stop.

Fair cop
Reply 141
Original post by deedee123
Well a small bicycle going at 40 mph is different to a huge 2 tun heap of metal going at 40mph. You would probably kill yourself if you crashed at that speed though. 12 mph zone? i've never seen a speed limit that isn't in 10s.

True. I can only keep those speeds up for a couple seconds of course so that minimizes the risk. And parks tend to have 12 mph limits if they contain public roads
Reply 142
Original post by c_al
It's safer for everyone, because regardless of how long it takes to react, a car with more effective brakes is always likely to have reached a slower speed than one with less efficient brakes.

The thing about energy impact is interesting as well, since cars nowadays are more often being designed with the pedestrian in mind, so that if a pedestrian does get hit, the consequences are likely to be less severe. Not that this is in any way a justification for speeding or changing the speed limits though.

Cars have the person driving safety in mind, ever heard of a pedestrian hit test with cars? Yer I haven't too. Most cars now are a lot heaver and more power than before. Most have plastic bumpers for the front too, which don't bend like metal so there is more force going into the one hit
Reply 143
Original post by kumori
Cars have the person driving safety in mind, ever heard of a pedestrian hit test with cars? Yer I haven't too. Most cars now are a lot heaver and more power than before. Most have plastic bumpers for the front too, which don't bend like metal so there is more force going into the one hit

You would have heard of them if you had looked into the matter though
Reply 144
Original post by c_al
You would have heard of them if you had looked into the matter though

All I see is the cars resigned so they don't do as much damage. It don't the fount if the car is designed to less damage on impact at high speed so all my other points are still valid. Hitting someone as high speed I think the damage hitting in to the windscreen or top of the car could be the lease of there problems. The true forces of getting hit would be the problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Original post by Harrie Lyons
Wow that was a bit harsh lol I thought reps were positive btw (I'm new to TSR lol) driving is VERY dangerous as we all know and the drivers in my family know that that's why they have never been in a serious accident, even when my uncle drove at seventy down a road with parked cars to get away from the police for speeding (in a mini like the film lol

I doubt that's serious but, if it is, oh dear.

There are many cyclists that die on the road btw so its not accident free.

No one said it is. Everything has a risk. However, many (not all) of the cyclists killed on roads are killed as a result of careless or dangerous driving.

PS we really couldn't care what the environment does though I know as cyclist that will probably infuriate you beyond words...

You should do as it impacts on your own life, and the life of everyone you love.

Original post by Harrie Lyons
Because in reality bikes go 10 mph on a 40 road and you have to dangerously slow down. I know someone with a scooter, they have no choice and they always drive on the pavement.

You know lots of people who break the law....
Original post by lonelybrummie
So you base your opinion on the their lack of empathy; you don't base on actions?

Well no, there's a world of difference between 'I was flashed by a speed camera and realised I was going over 50 in a 30 zone - as soon as I realised I slowed down but obviously it was too late. I feel really bad about it and I'm worried about how much damage I could have caused. I'm prepared to take the punishment - but do you think I'll lose my license?' and just 'I was speeding and the only bad thing as a consequence of this is that I might lose my license, ooooooops'
Original post by River85
I doubt that's serious but, if it is, oh dear.

No one said it is. Everything has a risk. However, many (not all) of the cyclists killed on roads are killed as a result of careless or dangerous driving.

You should do as it impacts on your own life, and the life of everyone you love.

You know lots of people who break the law....

That story is totally srs and 100 percent true. I meant the scooters disabled ppl drive on which isn't against the law at all
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Well no, there's a world of difference between 'I was flashed by a speed camera and realised I was going over 50 in a 30 zone - as soon as I realised I slowed down but obviously it was too late. I feel really bad about it and I'm worried about how much damage I could have caused. I'm prepared to take the punishment - but do you think I'll lose my license?' and just 'I was speeding and the only bad thing as a consequence of this is that I might lose my license, ooooooops'

My brother-in-law is a traffic cop in Gloucestershire. He said:

Twice the 30 mph speed limit is an instant ban. Ironically though, because you are banned, you don't get any points.

Because you were caught speeding more than 10% over the nominal ticket speed (30 mph + 10% + 3 mph margin = 37 mph + 10% = 41 mph), you are unlikely to be offered an awareness course although that is at the discretion of the magistrate and how much genuine remorse you display.

For 52 mph in a 30 mph zone, you will receive 6 points and a fine equal to between 75% and 125% of your weekly income.

Under the totting up rules, if you already have 6 points from a previous conviction, then you will get a ban.
Original post by uberteknik

Twice the 30 mph speed limit is an instant ban. Ironically though, because you are banned, you don't get any points.

Because you were caught speeding more than 10% over the nominal ticket speed (30 mph + 10% + 3 mph margin = 37 mph + 10% = 41 mph), you are unlikely to be offered an awareness course although that is at the discretion of the magistrate and how much genuine remorse you display.

For 52 mph in a 30 mph zone, you will receive 6 points and a fine equal to between 75% and 125% of your weekly income.

Under the totting up rules, if you already have 6 points from a previous conviction, then you will get a ban.

Yeah, I know - someone asked why lots of us were behaving as if we were angels and condemning the OP so heavily.
Reply 150
Original post by uberteknik

He will get a ban anyway with 6 points as he is within 2 years of passing his test.
Reply 151
You could always ask them nicely for 5 points and a big fine. If you can prove you need the car for work they may. However the fine may be a lot bigger

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Hi OP

2 years ago I got caught doing 48mph in a 30mph. I feared the worst expecting a court appearance and potentially 6 points. In the end I got 3 points and the standard £60 fine; not much you can do about it now but I expect breaching 50mph is likely to land you in court. Important thing is that you learn from it I guess...
love how everyone jumping is to hound him for doing 52mph when they have no idea what the road is like or what the surrounding area is like. I can think of three or four roads in my area where there is a 30mph zones which are totally uncalled for (not a built up area in the slightest) where it is very easy to do atleast 45mph with out even realising.
Reply 154
Original post by Gaffa94
So basically I was doing 52mph on a 30 road and was flashed by a camera....

I opened this thread, because I have done exactly the same, 52 on a 30 and then been caught. All be it in my case by a mobile camera van.

At the time it was the first time I had been caught speeding, having had four years clean, although sadly I was then caught again for a second time (71 on the motorway with a trailer, 3pts 60quid) in the intervening 6months before it went to court.

I posted on PePiPoo at the time and you will probably be able to dig up the old threads if you wish, afair i used the same user name.
Got the offer of either attending court or not, it was local and timed up with returning to Uni, so I figured it would do no harm and its all part of the experience.
For my troubles I was awarded 5 points and something like 150 fine plus the same again in expenses, paid with card on leaving. Which all in all, I thought was fair enough.

I then got another 3pts + 60quid a year later in some temporary roadworks in north wales taking me to 11pts, which was always a bit of a talking point, but also hammered the point well home. That was three years ago itself, so as of actually Monday of this week, I'm point free once again.

Daniel
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 155
Original post by Tim2341
Driving at 52 mph in a densely populated area is irresponsible and you could have killed or injured somebody.

On this related topic. Speeding, in my opinion is never a clever or responsible thing to do, and it not something I have ever been proud of or something I aim to do as part of my normal driving, nor do I make like to make excuses. However, we all make mistakes, in the case of the OP whats done it done, and do also think it greatly depends on how and where it came about, which in this case we do not know.

In my case, it was on my own road, shortly after moving into my a new house, on what is effectively the towns outer ring road. Its a residential street, but the houses and pavement are well set back behind a large verge.
The whole of the rest of the ring road is a 40, and I was incorrectly under the belief that this section was as well. It was also mid evening, just at the end of rush hour, so fairly empty of traffic and people. Well lit, dry, whatever.
Pulled out of my drive, accelerated in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then coasted in 4th to the lights 200yrds up the road. Wasn't watching the speedo, and was looking at the van when it got me, pretty much right at the peak of my speed.
We had some friends round and I was in the process of cooking a lasagna when I released I didnt have enough pasta sheets, so I was just nipping to tescos.

As said, dont like making excuses, nor am I trying to here. But I dont think there are many people who could honestly say that would or could never have happen to them.

Obviously (in my mind anyway), if the OP was doing 70 down a busy street and had just dipped to 52 going past a primary school, at kicking out time, in the rain, while on the phone, that's totally different.

But if you brand anyone who gets caught speeding as a reckless idiot, without even applying an context, your going to lead what I would consider a some what misguided life.

Daniel
I did roughly the same amount of speed over as you (63 in a 40) I got 4 points since it was the christmas campaign. Had I been going 62 instead of 63 I would have only got 3 points and a £60 fine nstead of the 4 points and £100 fine that I got.
Basically just a waiting game!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending