The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just saw the end of it but i was reading about it on channel 4 website. Very interesting.
Reply 2
Worrying, very worrying. Well made documentary, it was dispassionate and quite informative. The inevitable 'they teach Creationism!' part came up, but what do you expect from evangelical christians...

What got me thinking was that if they do succeed in lobbying the White House and installing themselves in positions of power - will it affect the rest of the world? Will a born-again fundamentalist christian-led USA become more powerful and aggressive to the Middle East, or just the laughing stock of Europe and the developing nations?
Reply 3
RichFaut
Worrying, very worrying. Well made documentary, it was dispassionate and quite informative. The inevitable 'they teach Creationism!' part came up, but what do you expect from evangelical christians...

Well it is one of the most stupid things they do.

What got me thinking was that if they do succeed in lobbying the White House and installing themselves in positions of power - will it affect the rest of the world? Will a born-again fundamentalist christian-led USA become more powerful and aggressive to the Middle East, or just the laughing stock of Europe and the developing nations?

When talking about a superpower whose defence budget is over twice that of the next ten countries combined you don’t laugh at them. As for aggression to the middle east, possibly, we are talking about nutcases here.
They seemed more concerned with the $$$ God.
Reply 5
I only saw the second half and it scared me. They were so earnest! Like very persistent zombies or something.
Reply 6
They were all so single-minded & brain-washed - 80% were home schooled? Not suprising, as the minute they encounter 'less devout' people they'll get 'tempted into sin'! Seriously, these people are my worst nightmare *shudders* Vote Democrat before it's too late!
Reply 7
RichFaut

If they have as much power as the BBC would like you to believe they do, they would have to be the most incompetent group on earth. The fact is that they're an important part of the Republican base, but they're far from the only one. And Bush pays far more attention to the business and farming wings of the party, than to the religious fundamentalists. His support for their causes is mostly limited to rhetoric, even if he he shares many of their beliefs.
Reply 8
SaccerZD
well?

I couldnt cope with watching it. I was getting too irritated so had to turn over.
what annoying people.
was this the program where they said that most of the interns under the current white house admin have come from one extreme bible bashing college..?

have to say i think peopl that believe in creationism dogmatically in the face of evidence are somewhat foolish, and i can't stand religion (or rather those pertaining to be pious), but if that is what the electorate want, who are we to stop them.

so long as it doesn't end in the US making school boy supporting errors based on religious prejudice that is.
Reply 10
katrin_tara
They were all so single-minded & brain-washed - 80% were home schooled?

These people seemed to be moulded into these brain washed loonies and they have no experiences with foreign religion and culture, i found them extremely single minded abit like some fanatical muslims in the middle east
Reply 11
i was worried about their lack of tolerance about homosexuality, gay marriage and abortion.
its like they were over simplifying things as well i'm sure one of them said something like because George Bush won the election it was a triumph of light over dark because he is against gay marriage and abortions. its like he was living in a world where there are good guys and bad guys and no in between people. if you don't agree over the same issues it doesn't necessarily make people with a different view evil it just makes them different.
ok rant over now :biggrin:
Reply 12
any place that this can be downloaded? I don't get channel 4 in Malaysia :smile:
Reply 13
Bismarck
If they have as much power as the BBC would like you to believe they do, they would have to be the most incompetent group on earth. The fact is that they're an important part of the Republican base, but they're far from the only one. And Bush pays far more attention to the business and farming wings of the party, than to the religious fundamentalists. His support for their causes is mostly limited to rhetoric, even if he he shares many of their beliefs.

Don't let your haste to condemn the BBC lead you into these kind of blunders Bismarck - the documentary was made and shown by Channel 4.
Reply 14
Apagg
Don't let your haste to condemn the BBC lead you into these kind of blunders Bismarck - the documentary was made and shown by Channel 4.

My mistake. Is there a reason no one is making a similar documentary about Italy, Greece, Poland, or Serbia?
Reply 15
Bismarck
My mistake. Is there a reason no one is making a similar documentary about Italy, Greece, Poland, or Serbia?

The USA is a hyper-power and minus Italy (although some would argue differently), the other three are insignificant nations on the periphery of international geopolitics?
Reply 16
Byronic
The USA is a hyper-power and minus Italy (although some would argue differently), the other three are insignificant nations on the periphery of international geopolitics?

So this "documentary" was just an attempt to smear the US because it's powerful?
Reply 17
Bismarck
So this "documentary" was just an attempt to smear the US because it's powerful?

Yes, although it wasn't a smear. I don't know where you're going with this, as the reason why the documentary was made seems relatively obvious. I found it interesting and they appear to be no more than a powerful pressure group.
Reply 18
What I really dont understand is why they were all republicans. Surely the party for evangelical christians should be the democrats, I mean sure they support abortion and gay marriage, but surely these are insignificant issues as opposed to the terrible welfare system. Surely a real Christian would be far more concerned with people starving in their own state than people of the same sex loving each other.

It was like when they went out lobbying that people shouldnt get compensation for asbestos problems because it would raise taxes. Surely Christianity would support the helping of people in need rather than opting for the lower tax option.

So yeah, how is it that republicanism seems to be so associated with Christianity when most of the values it espouses seem so against Chrisitian values of love?
Reply 19
Popa Dom
What I really dont understand is why they were all republicans. Surely the party for evangelical christians should be the democrats, I mean sure they support abortion and gay marriage, but surely these are insignificant issues as opposed to the terrible welfare system. Surely a real Christian would be far more concerned with people starving in their own state than people of the same sex loving each other.

It was like when they went out lobbying that people shouldnt get compensation for asbestos problems because it would raise taxes. Surely Christianity would support the helping of people in need rather than opting for the lower tax option.

So yeah, how is it that republicanism seems to be so associated with Christianity when most of the values it espouses seem so against Chrisitian values of love?

According to Christians, abortion = murder. When having to choose between someone who doesn't want to help the poor and someone who supports mass murder, I think the choice is obvious. Then there's the fact that a vast majority of the American Evangelicals are Protestant, who happen to believe in the Protestant work ethic and are vehemently anti-statist. They believe the poor should be helped by charities and churches, not by the government.

Byronic
Yes, although it wasn't a smear. I don't know where you're going with this, as the reason why the documentary was made seems relatively obvious. I found it interesting and they appear to be no more than a powerful pressure group.

Well you're the only one who watched the show that thinks that they're just a pressure group.