The Student Room Group

Doing Physics As A Second Degree??

Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of my brother here. He's interested in doing Physics as a 2nd degree, he's fascinated by the subject and is interested in pursuing potentially a researched based career (so that would be his main motivation).

However he already has a degree, in civil engineering. He only got a 2.2, there's a lot of reasons for why he got that, mainly because he missed a whole lot of school (handful of GCSE's, no a levels), did a hnd, and went straight into 2nd year. Maybe the whole thing was a step too quick for him at the time.

Anyhow he's interested in going back to do a levels and get into study physics. However is it primarily only going to be useful if wishes to get an academia job out of it (should he be sucessful)?

I mean a lot of non-academia jobs that are used for a physics degree he could do with his civil engineering degree couldn't he?

Is it a smart career choice? Or a waste of time to go through all the studying again for possibly little gain?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Physics offers a very wide array of job opportunities in many sectors. The chances of him struggling to find a job is slim. However, physics is a difficult degree so he'll need to put the hard work in. And I don't think he would get any funding if he already has a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
I presume he is aware of the costs of doing a second degree (no government support or loans available).

As he is an engineer, I'd question what he hopes to gain out of a physics degree in terms of employment prospects generally, unless he wants to do something directly related to physics (such as research, medical physics, etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending