The Student Room Group

So, who's self teaching?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm planning on self teaching the whole of A level physics, as well as M2, M3 and FP1!!

Who's going to tell me i'm insane first?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:eek: :console:

Fair enough, French I find a lot easier than German :colondollar:

Aah, but Maths C1/2 and S1 is easy, so less stress than two economics exams I'd say! And the A2 you can work.for! If you do S2 it'll lighten the load... Then an A* is possible :smile:

Really?! I have chosen French for now but may change it to German. Just so many tenses...

Do you choose which modules you take? I don't really know anything about Maths. I also only got an A in it at GCSE so I'm not sure if I would be up to A level Maths?
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I just posted one and no one replied:frown: I'm kind of freaking out about A Levels and would really like someone to reply to me, please! This is what I posted;

'I've just left school and finished my exams; thank god.
However, I've just read loads of disheartening posts about how hard A levels are compared to GCSE. I'm thinking about taking psychology, sociology, business and law. I was just wondering who is taking or has took these and what they thought of it. Also, if anyone has any A Level suggestions, around what kind of subjects I'm going to take.

PS. is the first year of business studies just like GCSE? Something else I heard that brightened my day.'
Reply 43
Original post by ShadowWolf21
I'm a self-teacher of languages. So far, I've taught myself A-Level Japanese (took the exams and passed with a B) and Chinese (never took a test, but can hold a good conversation). Now, I'm teaching myself Italian, Norwegian and Korean.

In terms of other subjects:
A2 Physics (I never carried it on from AS at college)
AS Chemistry.

I'm unsure whether I'll take exams, or just stick with learning them for fun :smile:

I always wondered how one goes about teaching themselves a language, particularly an Asian language. Any certain books you use that you find rather useful or Rosetta Stone CDs? :tongue:
Reply 44
Hi, anyone else getting a head start or completely self teaching a subject this summer?

We can share tips, resources, ask questions and give advice!

Subject - Modules

So for me...

Mathematics - FP1-4 M2(-3) S2-3
Spanish - AS

Might read through some Chem and Physics, nothing extremely heavy though :redface:

Aiming to learn FP1-FP3 and D1 over the summer with some luck. Gonna do an hour a day for the 3 weeks i'm at home (visiting my dad who is working in korea for 3 weeks and don't want to take work). that means all i have to learn from scratch will be S2 and M2 for FM then i can focus on physics and interview prep :smile: (reality being i won't manage any of this :frown: )
Original post by bobbiedoyle7
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with this thread but I just posted one and no one replied:frown: I'm kind of freaking out about A Levels and would really like someone to reply to me, please! This is what I posted;

'I've just left school and finished my exams; thank god.
However, I've just read loads of disheartening posts about how hard A levels are compared to GCSE. I'm thinking about taking psychology, sociology, business and law. I was just wondering who is taking or has took these and what they thought of it. Also, if anyone has any A Level suggestions, around what kind of subjects I'm going to take.

PS. is the first year of business studies just like GCSE? Something else I heard that brightened my day.'

Are you planning on going to uni, and if so, what course? I would just warn you, those A levels are all seen as 'soft' in some way or another. You are encouraged to take 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft' subject. It depends what you are applying for. If you wanted to do Law at uni, many of the top unis do not like Law A level and consider it soft. If you wanted to study Psychology, Psychology A level would be useful but bear in mind some unis want another science with it, which you wouldn't offer with those 4 subjects. Sociology and business are always iffy, generally it is better to take 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft' one just in case.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, just checking that you realise this. I don't agree with the supposed 'classification' of some subjects as 'soft' but you have unfortunately chosen 4 which are potentially considered soft. It depends what you intend to study in the future really!
Original post by infairverona
Are you planning on going to uni, and if so, what course? I would just warn you, those A levels are all seen as 'soft' in some way or another. You are encouraged to take 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft' subject. It depends what you are applying for. If you wanted to do Law at uni, many of the top unis do not like Law A level and consider it soft. If you wanted to study Psychology, Psychology A level would be useful but bear in mind some unis want another science with it, which you wouldn't offer with those 4 subjects. Sociology and business are always iffy, generally it is better to take 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft' one just in case.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, just checking that you realise this. I don't agree with the supposed 'classification' of some subjects as 'soft' but you have unfortunately chosen 4 which are potentially considered soft. It depends what you intend to study in the future really!

That's the thing, I have no idea what I want to be. This is so stressful! No, you haven't disheartened me, that was the point of posting on here; to find out what I need to know. So what are the 'hard' subjects? The reason I was going to take business was because I've done it at GCSE and I'm good at it. Law just interests me and psychology - I don't even know. I want a good career, good money and to do something I enjoy - which I don't know yet. Which seems making this decision impossible:frown:
Reply 47
Original post by ArtGoblin
Thanks for your reply. I looked at distance learning courses which don't require you to do a practical assessment but they cost £300+ which seems ridiculous for something I could easily teach myself. I guess I just have to see what the colleges say.

Thats what the thread is for :smile: me to help! (if I can)

Yeah, I think it's far too expensive... Contact local colleges :smile:

Really?! I have chosen French for now but may change it to German. Just so many tenses...

Do you choose which modules you take? I don't really know anything about Maths. I also only got an A in it at GCSE so I'm not sure if I would be up to A level Maths?

Yeah, but they make sense, no?:tongue:

I'd definitely say French!

I did C1 and M1 in January of Year Eleven, got 96% and 85% respectively, and I sat C2-4 and S1 this summer! I'd say you'll be okay with A2 Maths if you practise and understand key things

Original post by Goods
Aiming to learn FP1-FP3 and D1 over the summer with some luck. Gonna do an hour a day for the 3 weeks i'm at home (visiting my dad who is working in korea for 3 weeks and don't want to take work). that means all i have to learn from scratch will be S2 and M2 for FM then i can focus on physics and interview prep :smile: (reality being i won't manage any of this :frown: )

:awesome: trip sounds great too!

S2 and M2 are easier anyway so why don't you do FP1-2 S2 and then do FP3 and M2 from scratch?
Hi, anyone else getting a head start or completely self teaching a subject this summer?

Subject - Modules

So for me...

Spanish - AS

Might read through some Chem and Physics, nothing extremely heavy though :redface:

I'm self teaching AS Law, AS Government and Politics to sit exams in summer 2014. I'm kind of annoyed they got rid of January exams as I would have much preferred to sit those exams in January :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Knalchemist
I'm self teaching AS Law, AS Government and Politics to sit exams in summer 2014. I'm kind of annoyed they got rid of January exams as I would have much preferred to sit those exams in January :frown:

Oh wow, that's great! Why those?

Also, I agree! Wanted to dish out loads of maths... :frown:
Reply 50
Going to take A2 Further Maths next year in my gap year as I prepare for Mathematics at university.

Yeah, but they make sense, no?:tongue:

I'd definitely say French!

I did C1 and M1 in January of Year Eleven, got 96% and 85% respectively, and I sat C2-4 and S1 this summer! I'd say you'll be okay with A2 Maths if you practise and understand key things

Do you only have to do 5 modules? I thought it was 6? I honestly know nothing about Maths! Is that Edexcel or AQA?

Subject - Modules

So for me...

Spanish - AS

I'm self-teaching the philosophy & theology Pre-U, which is fun so far :smile: I have a feeling I will get through a lot of books in the meantime. (PS, I made a blog to make my understanding of the concepts more firm: http://thisstatementisnottrue.wordpress.com/ :wink:)
Also, I'm probably going to self-teach C1 and C2 this summer, if not C3 and C4 as well (just to get a head start - in my school for AS we do C1,2,3,4 and M1,2). Annoyingly, only units 1 and 2 for each module are included in my CGP AS level revision guide :mad:
I don't know if this counts as self-teaching, but I'm certainly not going to give up on biology and chemistry; I have 'General Genetics' - SRB, Owen, Edgar, and 'Enzyme Antigen & Virus' - Burnet to look forward to :biggrin:
Also thinking about buying some chemistry textbooks even though I'm not doing chemistry :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Do you only have to do 5 modules? I thought it was 6? I honestly know nothing about Maths! Is that Edexcel or AQA?

6:smile:

C2-4 meaning C2 C3 and C4.

I was WJEC. I'd say your best bet is Edexcel, as they have the most resources and centres most likely offer that board.

Don't let me steer you away from economics though if that's what you want:redface:
That's the thing, I have no idea what I want to be. This is so stressful! No, you haven't disheartened me, that was the point of posting on here; to find out what I need to know. So what are the 'hard' subjects? The reason I was going to take business was because I've done it at GCSE and I'm good at it. Law just interests me and psychology - I don't even know. I want a good career, good money and to do something I enjoy - which I don't know yet. Which seems making this decision impossible:frown:

if you want to do an arts subject at university, and by the sounds of your current A level choices that sounds very likely, then have you ever thought of doing English lit? it is harder than GCSE defo but i really enjoyed it this year. I'm not sure about the exam board that your school are on but it will probably be half coursework so will take some pressure off while you're taking your exams. History is another respected A level that would fit with your choices but out of all the A levels i've ever taken/taking (Russian, Latin, English lit, Classical Civilisation and History) it was the one i found hardest but also very interesting and if you work hard then an A is hardly impossible. Also what one person finds hard and another finds hard can greatly differ so you may find it easier than me. Good luck with your A levels :smile:
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
if you want to do an arts subject at university, and by the sounds of your current A level choices that sounds very likely, then have you ever thought of doing English lit? it is harder than GCSE defo but i really enjoyed it this year. I'm not sure about the exam board that your school are on but it will probably be half coursework so will take some pressure off while you're taking your exams. History is another respected A level that would fit with your choices but out of all the A levels i've ever taken/taking (Russian, Latin, English lit, Classical Civilisation and History) it was the one i found hardest but also very interesting and if you work hard then an A is hardly impossible. Also what one person finds hard and another finds hard can greatly differ so you may find it easier than me. Good luck with your A levels :smile:

I'm going to get, hopefully, a B overall in English Lang and Lit, so yes that is an option. I took history at GCSE, is it a large step up to A Levels? Keep in mind, I've probably just scarped a C, I struggled a lot with the exams but got A's in my coursework. Thanks for the advice, and thanks for wishing me luck.
Aaah, that is good :smile:

Maths isn't too bad actually, I pointed out some resources :smile:

thanks im a bit worried about the work load with 3 other A2's but I wont know until I try

Well the 'hard' subjects are really the sciences, maths, english lit/history/philosophy, the languages.

To leave your options open fully to psychology, business or law at university I believe the best combination for you from those subjects would be maybe psychology, economics, english lit or history (if you wouldn't mind doing one of those) and then maybe sociology/law if you dropped one of those two at A2. You don't need any particular subjects to do business or law at university, but you do need well respected subjects in general for those courses. Economics is a stronger choice than business so that would be fine. To leave your options open for law, a subject like english lit/history is a good choice due to the essay component. Finally, if you wanted to apply for psychology then you could always substitute sociology/law with biology, which would then give you psychology, biology and english lit or history. Then you would have the two science subjects that some of the top unis require you have for psychology at uni.

Does that make sense? You don't have to take my advice, just by taking those four subjects you might be disappointed later on to find out that the top unis may not approve those subjects. Of course if you weren't going to aim for the top unis then those choices are probably fine. Just thought I would explain it all as I know some schools don't warn you of this!
6:smile:

C2-4 meaning C2 C3 and C4.

I was WJEC. I'd say your best bet is Edexcel, as they have the most resources and centres most likely offer that board.

Don't let me steer you away from economics though if that's what you want:redface:

Oh of course, sorry it's been a long day!

Yeah my friend suggested Edexcel. My sister is also going to be studying Maths Edexcel at my old sixth form so that would help.

I haven't chosen anything for definite, I just thought Economics was a good choice - between Business and Maths in terms of respect and difficulty, only has 4 modules which is preferable (I'll be doing 4 law modules plus a dissertation after all!) and so obviously is cheaper.
I'm going to get, hopefully, a B overall in English Lang and Lit, so yes that is an option. I took history at GCSE, is it a large step up to A Levels? Keep in mind, I've probably just scarped a C, I struggled a lot with the exams but got A's in my coursework. Thanks for the advice, and thanks for wishing me luck.

From the sounds of things you are better at coursework than exams so english lit would probably be better than history for you, and i've also found it far more enjoyable than GCSE so if you quite liked GCSE then you will probably really like AS. History is a hard A level, especially at A2 or at least thats how ive found it. Also i know a few people in my class that got Bs for GCSE English lit and they all seem to be on track for good Bs at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest