The Student Room Group

100 Under 50 2013 world university rankings out now

"South Korea’s Pohang University of Science and Technology heads a list of the world’s top 100 universities under 50 years old for the second consecutive year, while the UK’s “plate-glass” universities have lost some ground".

"Only one UK institution the University of York, in seventh place makes the top 10, compared with three last year. After York, the highest-placed UK institutions are the University of Warwick (13th), Lancaster University (14th) and the University of East Anglia (16th)"

Sitting pretty: the top 10 universities under 50 years old

Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea

École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland

Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea

Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

University of California, Irvine, US

Maastricht University, Netherlands

University of York, UK

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France

Université Paris-Sud, France

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/the-100-under-50-2013-world-university-rankings/2004942.article

Good to see York leading the way for the UK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ssxx
"South Korea’s Pohang University of Science and Technology heads a list of the world’s top 100 universities under 50 years old for the second consecutive year, while the UK’s “plate-glass” universities have lost some ground".

"Only one UK institution the University of York, in seventh place makes the top 10, compared with three last year. After York, the highest-placed UK institutions are the University of Warwick (13th), Lancaster University (14th) and the University of East Anglia (16th)"

Sitting pretty: the top 10 universities under 50 years old

Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea

École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland

Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, South Korea

Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

University of California, Irvine, US

Maastricht University, Netherlands

University of York, UK

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France

Université Paris-Sud, France

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/the-100-under-50-2013-world-university-rankings/2004942.article

Good to see York leading the way for the UK.

Dude, we get it! You go York, big deal! Well done! Tables however mean very little, they're usually bias or give misinformation.

You don't have to keep posting tables everytime they come out, and turn it into a pro york rant. We know york is good, you don't have to keep telling us on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by the mezzil
Dude, we get it! You go York, big deal! Well done! Tables however mean very little, they're usually bias or give misinformation.

You don't have to keep posting tables everytime they come out, and turn it into a pro york rant. We know york is good, you don't have to keep telling us on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cannot confirm or deny which university I attend due to security reasons.:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ssxx
I cannot confirm or deny which university I attend due to security reasons.:colondollar:

I'm not asking you, you've made it pretty obvious though. Just calm down a bit, we know York is good, you don't need to keep posting tables just to prove it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
God the guy is obsessed. Well done to York, but there are rankings where they do less well. As I posted in the other thread, the positions of Surrey and Bath and intriguing.
York is prestigious and I think I've made the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I would like to restate my stance on this ranking.

Contrary to what some may have believed, I am NOT against this particular ranking. I think it does offer original insight. So those of you who have taken the cue to criticise (though you should do what you like) THES from me have got it WRONG.

Though it would be nice if they made it top 100 after 60, then we would not have institutions dropping out every year.

I don't understand why the thread was closed, surely that was an interesting discussion ?
Reply 7
It's a good university, and a good idea for the Times to do this ranking system but just relax a bit. Rankings are only loosely important. Specific places cannot be taken as absolute.
Reply 8
Original post by Prospective UK
York is prestigious and I think I've made the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sir, I salute your wise decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I really don't get the deal with league tables... some people talk about them as though they're the most important source of information they should base their uni choices on. Or at least would be a serious deal breaker if a university wasn't near the top. Why?

If people were to take league tables so seriously in helping them to decide which university would be best for THEM, then I'm shocked to see that Lancaster is 14th! Only because, it wasn't for me and so cut it from my list of choices. However, going off the league tables I should have liked it because it's one of the best in the world!
Reply 10
Original post by Peppa
I really don't get the deal with league tables... some people talk about them as though they're the most important source of information they should base their uni choices on. Or at least would be a serious deal breaker if a university wasn't near the top. Why?

If people were to take league tables so seriously in helping them to decide which university would be best for THEM, then I'm shocked to see that Lancaster is 14th! Only because, it wasn't for me and so cut it from my list of choices. However, going off the league tables I should have liked it because it's one of the best in the world!

oh dear, child you have no idea.:rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by ssxx
oh dear, child you have no idea.:rolleyes:

Haha why? And I'd hardly consider myself to be a child, depending on your own age that is! All I was saying, was that I don't see league tables as being that important.

Although I now realise that being a student of York or somewhere equally prestigious, you would of course see such information as important, because you now see yourself as being superior to those who don't. How silly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Peppa
Haha why? And I'd hardly consider myself to be a child, depending on your own age that is! All I was saying, was that I don't see league tables as being that important.

Some league tables reflect how good the universities are. eg Oxford at the top, Greenwich at the bottom.
Avoid the guardian they are full of ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending