The Student Room Group

Energy Drinks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zero Nowhere
I never said lean people couldn't get diabetes, other factors contribute to type 2 diabetes as well like genetic factors, age, even sex. However in here we're talking about lifestyle choices that contribute to diabetes. Just drinking high amounts of sugary drinks doesn't automatically or at the very least significantly increase your chances of developing type 2 diabetes. And given op is using it for energy to exercise, much of it will be burned up anyway. He's at no more of a risk of developing diabetes than anyone else that consumes high amounts of calories for energy for the gym/working out. He also never said he was drinking a litre a day.

Unless he's fitting that litre into the rest of his carbs (which would be awful for micronutrient/fibre intake...another story) then just working out definitely isn't going to "burn" those calories off so to speak. Regularly consuming a litre of highly sugary drink on top of a normal bulking diet is generally going to be detrimental to health long term, in terms of the effects of rapid hyperglycemic spikes on insulin resistance, arterial health etc. I'm no expert but I wouldn't advise someone that it's OK to consume stuff like that regularly (not saying he is)
Reply 21
OP, can you confirm that you are alive after taking the energy drink?

Quick Reply

Latest