The Student Room Group

Required documents to sit New York Bar Exam?

Hi,

Has anybody applied to sit for New York Bar exam?

I have completed an online Foreign Evaluation Form and I now need to send them required documents:

1. my official transcripts;
2. proof of fulfilment of educational requirements for admission to the practice of law in the UK; and
3. a written statement from a competent accrediting agency in the UK that the law school I attended is recognised as qualified and approved throughout my period of study.

I have asked Solicitor Regulation Authority if they could send such a written statement directly to New York board of law examiners but I am not clear as to what kind of the proof of educational requirements to practice law in the UK will suffice.

Any ideas will be welcome.
I just did mine.
hope these info will help.
1.Register with the New York bar evaluation board to get your bole id and evaluation id number.

2.Ask your uk uni to directly send your transcript/degree copy etc to New York Evaluation board. Make sure you give your bole and evaluation id to your uk uni.

3.Enrol online with the SRA to get your id number starting 007.. (This is free of charge and it takes about 5 minutes).

4.send an email to SRA Student Enrolment stating your SRA 007 number and ask them to send a confirmation letter to New York Evaluation Board that you have completed the academic qualifying stage in UK. Remember to give your bole and evaluation id to SRA.

That's that really. Just wait to hear from New York.
Hello,

I haven't done LPC. Can I still ask for a number from the SRA?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by lexbrodirvon
I just did mine.
1.Register with the New York bar evaluation board to get your bole id and evaluation id number.

2.Ask your uk uni to directly send your transcript/degree copy etc to New York Evaluation board. Make sure you give your bole and evaluation id to your uk uni.

3.Enrol online with the SRA to get your id number starting 007.. (This is free of charge and it takes about 5 minutes).

4.send an email to SRA Student Enrolment stating your SRA 007 number and ask them to send a confirmation letter to New York Evaluation Board that you have completed the academic qualifying stage in UK. Remember to give your bole and evaluation id to SRA.

Sir
I have completed my GDL and I started my LPC at Manchester Metroplitan university.I deferred it till January 2014. Can I sit Newyork Bar exam and if not what's the best option for me.
Any suggestions please ?
regards
Rana
Reply 4
Original post by lexbrodirvon
I just did mine.

I mean what's the minimum law qualification required for bar exam either Newyork or Califonia.
Thanks
is everyone here hoping to sit for the July 2014 exam?
The requirement for foreigner student intending to sit for New York Bar exam is just your LLB. Read my instructions above. You can buy the books and prepare yourself or bay clt, bpp etc for the course. You have to fly to Albany, New York to sit for the exams though and the registration is $750
Reply 7
Hello, I am searching in vain for any clear help in the following area.

I have a BA Hons in Music and currently in my 2nd (and last) year of an accelerated LLB at University of Edinburgh. I am looking into taking the NY bar in 2015.

After speaking with various professors and calling the state bar admin line it seems I can apply with the two year course but in the information sent from uni my course leader would confirm it is three years worth of study taken over two due to being a graduate. Admin in NY also said if the problem was the 2 years then this could be cured by taking an LLM this coming September and re-applying.

Questions:

> Has anyone out there ever done this? If so,could you possibly summarise a timeline from LLB to Bar exam in terms of deadlines, exact information you had to provide etc.
> Is is possible to sit the 2015 bar exam or does this not leave enough time for admin, transcripts and such?
> Does any one recommend a bar training course (there are a lot offered and CLT seems appealing)

Thank you in advance for any help, I know this message is rather a bundle!
Reply 8
Hi,

I am currently waiting for confirmation from the NY state examiners regarding my eligibility for the NY bar July 2014. I know quite a few people with LLB's who have been deemed eligible. I have an LLB, LPC and worked in NY for a year as a paralegal. My concern is my LLB is actually joint honors. Even though I obtained a 2.1 from a UK uni, and my university has confirmed it is a qualifying law degree, I am still slightly worried. Has anyone with a joint honors LLB taken the NY bar before/know anybody that has?

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Many thanks!
My old employer successfully studied it.

He said it was extremely tough (I believe it is the hardest along with the California exam).

I was tempted to do it but want to know the longterm benefits of taking it?
Reply 10
Hey guys,

I graduate with a Law with American Law LLB and would love to take the NY Bar next year before commencing my LPC. The only thing holding me back is finances. How have those of you that have taken the course/are planning on taking it funded it, and what courses have you gone for?

Thank you!
I'm curious, why do so many people want to take the New York Bar Exam? Is it so that you can practice in the US or is there something else I'm missing?
Reply 12
Original post by welshforever92
I'm curious, why do so many people want to take the New York Bar Exam? Is it so that you can practice in the US or is there something else I'm missing?

Kind of, kind of not.

I graduate this summer and am applying for training contracts to commence in 2016. I therefore have a year's gap and want to do something productive. Given that an LLB is all you need to practice in the UK or the US, I feel that the NY Bar will be a better use of time and money than an LLM. I lived in the US for a year and could definitely see myself heading over there at some point in the future, but even if not then it'll only help me in an international law firm in the UK.
Reply 13
Original post by thekeeno
Kind of, kind of not.

I graduate this summer and am applying for training contracts to commence in 2016. I therefore have a year's gap and want to do something productive. Given that an LLB is all you need to practice in the UK or the US, I feel that the NY Bar will be a better use of time and money than an LLM. I lived in the US for a year and could definitely see myself heading over there at some point in the future, but even if not then it'll only help me in an international law firm in the UK.

No, it isn't. You need either an LPC or BVC.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending