The Student Room Group

How tall was Benjamin Disraeli ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WalkingTolerance

L130387.jpg

Consider this.

Original post by Onde

Gladstone was supposed to be 5 foot 10, but seems an inch or two taller than Disraeli in depictions (but I wouldn't trust things like cartoons from the time with a 'Jewish' caricature)

I actually think that Disraeli was about 3-5cm taller than Gladstone which, as an anthropologist, I would read from their skull shape and bone structure.
Original post by Eloquai
Just out of interest, why are you interested in Disraeli's height?

I want to build the statue of him in my bedroom.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WalkingTolerance
I actually think that Disraeli was about 3-5cm taller than Gladstone which, as an anthropologist, I would read from their skull shape and bone structure.

Well he looks rather tall on this statue... :mad:
Original post by Onde
There is a death mask of Disraeli...the proportions are:
"including base: height 432 mm; including base: width 254 mm; including base: depth 230 mm"

(that base includes the neck...if you really care, you'd have to estimate the height of the head in photos of the mask by using the width of the head, then scale it up by 7.5 (which is apparently a typical ratio of head to body)

:wink: have fun

Do you think this is gonna work? What a cause for hope! Genius.

Also, Disraeli looked as if he had a normal head-body ratio, as opposed to for example Gladstone.
Reply 24
Original post by Amanda Thatcher

Of all the reason I thought of, that certainly wasn't one of them. Good luck!
Reply 25
How long is a piece of string
Original post by Onde
"including base: height 432 mm; including base: width 254 mm; including base: depth 230 mm"

(that base includes the neck...if you really care, you'd have to estimate the height of the head in photos of the mask by using the width of the head, then scale it up by 7.5 (which is apparently a typical ratio of head to body)

So basically:

height 432 mm x 7.5 = 3240
3240mm converted to cm = over 3 meters, that's impossible.

Even if we would remove the alleged "base" (neck/beard) that would still amount to some over 2m Ivar the Boneless giant.

OR was our Swiss friend "Bourgeoisie" right at the beginning? And so was the wiki 6ft 5 answer.
Weird thread.
Original post by Bourgeoisie
Wasn't he around 2m tall or something like that ????????

There are other sources online suggesting this. It surprised me, but there you go...
Reply 29
Original post by arnoob
:afraid:

lol
Original post by HollyB_C
lol

Not funny :frown:
Original post by Onde

Original post by William Pitt
So basically:

height 432 mm x 7.5 = 3240
3240mm converted to cm = over 3 meters, that's impossible.

Even if we would remove the alleged "base" (neck/beard) that would still amount to some over 2m Ivar the Boneless giant.

OR was our Swiss friend "Bourgeoisie" right at the beginning? And so was the wiki 6ft 5 answer.

Original post by Onde
:rolleyes: yes...I also didn't consider how the figure might possibly be distorted by the thickness of the clay before scaling up the figure...

Come on guys be reasonable.

First of all, the record height belongs to Lord Salisbury, who was around 6 feet 4 inches (1.93 m). If Disraeli was even over 190cm it would have definitely been a WIDELY available information, nevermind a 2m giant.

Is there anyone competent enough to answer this question? Where could I address it in addition to TSR; is there some kind of Disraeli fan club?
Original post by Yael
I share his origin and I know some extraordinarily tall people who are Sephardic.

Sorry for this generalization; it was made with the best of intentions.

Now that's a productive way of spending summer holidays.
Poor effort.

Someone answer it I'm actually very curious now.
The admins have moved this threat from "UK Politics" to "Chat".

This does not change the fact that this question has not yet been answered.

Does anyone know the height of Benjamin Disraeli?
The greatest mystery of all times.
The admins have moved this threat from "UK Politics" to "Chat".

This does not change the fact that this question has not yet been answered.

Does anyone know the height of Benjamin Disraeli?

Why don't you email the education officer at Hughenden?

[email protected]

If she doesn't know, I am sure she will know someone who does.
Original post by nulli tertius
Why don't you email the education officer at Hughenden?

[email protected]

If she doesn't know, I am sure she will know someone who does.

nulli tertius, are you actually serious? I am rather poor at reading irony or sarcasm on TSR and I am very prepared to send this email.
nulli tertius, are you actually serious? I am rather poor at reading irony or sarcasm on TSR and I am very prepared to send this email.

Yes. I am perfectly serious.

Quick Reply

Latest