The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol economics 80 UMS in C3/C4...?

I have an offer which I have firmed to study economics at Bristol, it's AAB (I believe it's contextual to do with the school I attended, normally A*AA) + 80 UMS in C3 and C4, and 80 in economics and maths.
I'm really worried that I may have marginally missed out on 80 UMS in C3 and/or C4 but very confident I have gotten an A overall. In fact, I am predicted A*AA, so two grades above my offer and I feel I could get that based on how I felt my exams went (A* in economics).
My question is does anyone have any idea how the process works, if I do fail to achieve 80, say get 78 in one, is it a straight rejection? Are near misses still in with a chance of being accepted?
I do plan to email the admissions department but I was wondering if maybe anybody has been through similar/has any idea. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
It's very hard to say, it's a very competitive course so its very possible it could be a straight rejection however if you exceed your offer grade wise they may reconsider. I suggest emailing the admissions team there and asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by hellomoto170
I have an offer which I have firmed to study economics at Bristol, it's AAB (I believe it's contextual to do with the school I attended, normally A*AA) + 80 UMS in C3 and C4, and 80 in economics and maths.
I'm really worried that I may have marginally missed out on 80 UMS in C3 and/or C4 but very confident I have gotten an A overall. In fact, I am predicted A*AA, so two grades above my offer and I feel I could get that based on how I felt my exams went (A* in economics).
My question is does anyone have any idea how the process works, if I do fail to achieve 80, say get 78 in one, is it a straight rejection? Are near misses still in with a chance of being accepted?
I do plan to email the admissions department but I was wondering if maybe anybody has been through similar/has any idea. Thanks in advance.

They have the right not to give you a place if you fail to meet your offer, including the 80 UMS. However, if the circumstances you describe, ie contextual offer, other relevant high grades then chances are you will get a place. I can't say that for certain, I can say that is an example of a situation where, if the numbers fall right, the place will be given.

There is no point contacting anyone before results day, because the decision will be conditional on the results of the rest of the offerees. For example, if there are 50 places on this Economics course, the University may make 80 offers, knowing that on average 15 people will choose to go somewhere else and 15 will fail to get their grades. If come A level results day 16 people choose to go somewhere else and 16 people fail to get their grades, there are two places up for grabs.

The admissions staff will look at who missed their offer by the the least, who has the highest other grades and who has a contextual marker, and from those three variables, confirm the places for 2 people who missed their grades. As you suggest you might fit all 3 of these categories, you have a strong chance of making the cut. All this happens a couple of days prior to the candidates getting their results, so on results day you might realise you have missed your grades, but have still got an offer, or more likely you made your grades and you were one of the 49 who got straight in.
Hey. I've got the same problem as well! I also have a contextual offer of AAB but so scared about not getting the AA in c3 and c4.
Wish you the best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RachelSadahiro
Hey. I've got the same problem as well! I also have a contextual offer of AAB but so scared about not getting the AA in c3 and c4.
Wish you the best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did you get on?
Reply 5
looking back at this thread, having been accepted is the best feeling in the world :smile:
Original post by hellomoto170
looking back at this thread, having been accepted is the best feeling in the world :smile:

did many people get in who missed their offer by a grade?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending