The Student Room Group

20 yr old, 4 Years of Lifting Progress (PICS)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CJKay
You don't think you overdid it a little bit..?

oh shut up.

lifting is the only hobby in the world where people will say something like this. No one says to a guitar player, "You don't think you got a little too good at guitar?"

stop being jelly.
Reply 21
Original post by CJKay

Lol, are you serious? If anything he would look better if he had more mass

Good job OP. Lift stats for Bench/Squat/DL?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by CJKay

Yep he accidentally the whole barbell
Reply 23
Original post by JordanR
oh shut up.

lifting is the only hobby in the world where people will say something like this. No one says to a guitar player, "You don't think you got a little too good at guitar?"

stop being jelly.

Well, it's not really, is it? You're not really "good" at lifting the same way as you can't really be bad at it. I mean, tattooing, piercings, bodybuilding you can all say you've done "too much" of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by CJKay
Well, it's not really, is it? You're not really "good" at lifting the same way as you can't really be bad at it.

Confirmed for DYEL

if only there happened to be some way of measuring how good someone is at lifting. If only it could be measured using numbers somehow.
Reply 25
Original post by JordanR
Confirmed for DYEL

if only there happened to be some way of measuring how good someone is at lifting. If only it could be measured using numbers somehow.

How much you can lift is not really a quantifiable answer to "how good are you at lifting?".
Anybody, given enough time and motivation, can bulk up - it's what we, as humans, were built to do. Not anybody can pick up a guitar and learn it to Joe Satriani level, at least past the age of about 10. Comparing them is pretty futile.
Original post by CJKay
How much you can lift is not really a quantifiable answer to "how good are you at lifting?".
Anybody, given enough time and motivation, can bulk up - it's what we, as humans, were built to do. Not anybody can pick up a guitar and learn it to Joe Satriani level, at least past the age of about 10. Comparing them is pretty futile.

Not really, maybe for powerlifting that is true but not for other goals such as bodybuilding. Also lol-anyone can bulk up? I can tell you don't even lift :facepalm:
Reply 27
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Not really, maybe for powerlifting that is true but not for other goals such as bodybuilding. Also lol-anyone can bulk up? I can tell you don't even lift :facepalm:

Tell me, what special ability does it take to bulk up?
Original post by CJKay

Competitively, how much you lift is a quantifiable answer to how good are you at lifting. That's why something like the Sinclair (for weightlighting) and Wilks (for powerlifting) formulae exist. Of course there are more difficult to grasp things like how nice someone's technique is but it is generally reasonably quantifiable if you know what you are looking for.

Depending on the size we are talking about, not everyone can bulk up. Not everyone can become an IFBB pro even if they train all day, eat right and take lots of drugs. Genetics is really, really important. In the same way that some people pick up playing an instrument better (or sing better) than other people. Even with the same training etc. Some people just 'get it' and other just don't.

If anything, it is easier to quantify how awesome a lifter is than how good a guitar player (or other musician) is because there is much less of a subjective element to it. For the record, I have got to a decently high level of musical skill (albeit as a kid) and I am a reasonably hard working, if hilariously ungifted lifter.

I can provide scientific references for my statements about response to training btw if you want.

Bertstare

JordanR

Please stop discussing drugs in this thread.

AreebWithaHat

No need to go ad hominem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Blind Monk
Competitively, how much you lift is a quantifiable answer to how good are you at lifting. That's why something like the Sinclair (for weightlighting) and Wilks (for powerlifting) formulae exist. Of course there are more difficult to grasp things like how nice someone's technique is but it is generally reasonably quantifiable if you know what you are looking for.

Depending on the size we are talking about, not everyone can bulk up. Not everyone can become an IFBB pro even if they train all day, eat right and take lots of drugs. Genetics is really, really important. In the same way that some people pick up playing an instrument better (or sing better) than other people. Even with the same training etc. Some people just 'get it' and other just don't.

If anything, it is easier to quantify how awesome a lifter is than how good a guitar player (or other musician) is because there is much less of a subjective element to it. For the record, I have got to a decently high level of musical skill (albeit as a kid) and I am a reasonably hard working, if hilariously ungifted lifter.

I can provide scientific references for my statements about response to training btw if you want.

Please stop discussing drugs in this thread.

No need to go ad hominem.

My bad, sorry. I'm not as eloquent when it comes to arguments as you :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by AreebWithaHat
It's not an ability. It takes hard work, like learning your guitar piece would take hard work.

You study at Kingston uni-that explains a lot

Well, exactly. Here's the thing though, anybody can put in hard work for bulking, but past about the age of about 12, no matter how much work you put into learning guitar you are now very much limited. Why do you think the best musicians started so early on in life?

Wow, big man, calling out my university in some sort of weak attempt to discredit my argument. I actually chose Kingston because of its industrial ties, and rejected Queen Mary in doing so. Despite it being an ex-poly, the uni actually makes up for it very well with the number of connections it has.
Original post by CJKay
Well, exactly. Here's the thing though, anybody can put in hard work for bulking, but past about the age of about 12, no matter how much work you put into learning guitar you are now very much limited. Why do you think the best musicians started so early on in life?

Wow, big man, calling out my university in some sort of weak attempt to discredit my argument. I actually chose Kingston because of its industrial ties, and rejected Queen Mary in doing so. Despite it being an ex-poly, the uni actually makes up for it very well with the number of connections it has.

Not really, see Blind Monk's post above. You don't know much about lifting, so you are just assuming. There are plenty of people that struggle to bulk due to **** genetics.

Apologies for calling out Kingston, shouldn't have done that.
Original post by CJKay

Bret Contreras:p
A landmark study by Hubal used 585 male and female human subjects and showed that twelve weeks of progressive dynamic exercise resulted in a shockingly wide range of responses.

The worst responders lost 2% of their muscle cross-sectional area and didn't gain any strength whatsoever. The best responders increased muscle cross-sectional area by 59% and increased their 1RM strength by 250%. Keep in mind these individuals were subjected to the exact same training protocol.

The Hubal study isn't the only study showing these types of results. Petrella showed that 16 weeks of progressive dynamic exercise involving 66 human subjects failed to yield any measurable hypertrophy in 26% of subjects. Wow, sucks to be them!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_truth_about_bodybuilding_genetics

Maybe not everybody can 'put in hard work bulking' and get good results. Genetics matter. They matter a lot for music as well. It's a flawed argument.
Original post by CJKay

The same arguments you used about 'learning guitar' can be applied to 'lifting' (i.e. you reap the most benefit if you start early on and you are very much limited by your 'genetic potential'.)
Reply 34
Original post by CJKay
Tell me, what special ability does it take to bulk up?

Sure, anyone can eat at a caloric surplus and lift weights for years to gain an appreciable amount of lean body mass. Doing this is very simple. Simple, not necessarily very easy. It takes a lot of mental strength and dedication and consistency. It's almost impossible to explain to someone who doesn't lift, but when you're standing under the bar and it feels really heavy, but you've still gotta get another four reps in... That's where it becomes difficult and where the average person can't do it. The average person doesn't possess the mental strength or discipline to go against their senses like that and finish the set. Most people give up. Lifting weights has had tremendous carryover to other parts of my life. If I can survive a widowmaker and not give up then I'm not phased by most things any longer.

Plus the diet. You've gotta eat the right things. And rest. You've gotta get some early nights even when you don't want to.

If any one of these three things is off (rest, diet or training) then you're not going to have any decent results.
Reply 35
Original post by CJKay

Anyone can put in the hard work for bulking but that doesn't mean you will see the same results. If I fed you exactly what Arnold ate and had you follow his routine exactly, you wouldn't see anywhere near the level of results he had. Anecdotally, I started learning guitar when I was 13 and I'm not too bad. Check my sig for a video I made a couple of years ago.

Things like your natural levels of testosterone, human growth hormone and IGF-1 are incredibly important; that's why a lot of older guys get on testosterone replacement therapy and also take a few IUs of HGH a day in some cases.

Not everyone can pick up a barbell and become Mr Olympia. It depends on a million things. A good example would be Dennis Wolf. He's very dedicated and is almost right at the top level. But his calves ( which are a genetic problem) will never be up to par so he can never reach the top.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
X

Piece of advice, don't pick an argument in something you know nothing about and have never succeeded with people who know a lot about the subject and then just assume you are correct.

Frankly I am not suprised somebody used an ad homien attack given how patronising your posts have been.

I mean jeez, you look like 60kg in your profile pic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by RollerBall
Piece of advice, don't pick an argument in something you know nothing about and have never succeeded with people who know a lot about the subject and then just assume you are correct.

Frankly I am not suprised somebody used an ad homien attack given how patronising your posts have been.

I mean jeez, you look like 60kg in your profile pic.

60? 85, 5'8".
Reply 38
Original post by CJKay
60? 85, 5'8".

This shows that you have no appreciable amount of muscle mass; if you did, you'd look massive at that height and weight.
Reply 39
Original post by JordanR
This shows that you have no appreciable amount of muscle mass; if you did, you'd look massive at that height and weight.

Excuse me for asking but... so?

Quick Reply

Latest