The Student Room Group

Very unsure...

Hi,

so basically i am about to return for my final year of an adult nursing degree, but i'm going through the whole "do i want to do this?" phase.

i had to take a year out for a medical interruption - i got very depressed while on placement, couldn't leave the house and had to move back home with my parents. I have since had a job as a carer in a nursing home and really love it. now that its time to go back to uni i'm having second thoughts and am not sure if it is what i want.

on the one hand i know i can do better than a carer and i loved placement but i am terrified of spiralling downhill again and am not sure if i can face it. i don't know if it is just fear of depression or if i am unsure on the whole career choice.

how do i decide?
Reply 1
It's always scary to go back after a break, especially when it was a medical break. But you are on your last year, and if you enjoy being a career than that is a definite yes to go back in my opinion. You don't want to look back on life and say why didn't I do that. There are many people in many different situations, just pull your trousers up and get stuck in, you cans do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
hi Miss K, I can understand your anxiety about returning to a situation which reminds you of your previous health issues. I do think though that a year goes so quickly and hopefully, with support, you won't experience problems, basically, it would be a shame to give up. Can you talk through your 'fears' with a personal tutor? I'm sure your uni wouldn't want you to drop out, from a rather harsh perspective, they have invested a fair amount of money in you and would prefer you continue. If you knew that you had their support would that help? If you did continue and qualify, you don't have to work as a nurse, but will have that training and qualification under your belt enabling you to work in a different role within the caring and healthcare world.
Reply 3
hey, i totally understand your anxiety i faced a very similar situation while out on my final placement which nearly lead me to quitting the course completely. maybe a change of enviroment would be better a university closer to home. im currently hoping to move closer to home just so that there is the added support from family and friends.

this course can take over your life if your not careful its very demanding and sometimes you feel like you've just been thrown in the deep end in terms of placements and mentors that can be really good or really negative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending