The Student Room Group

Girls....How do you deal with a REALLY heavy period?

I'm just looking for a bit of advice :smile:

My periods are REALLY heavy. I wear tampons and pads at the same time to try and stay hygienic but I bleed through that in about 45 minutes on my heaviest days. When I sit or lie down it just leaks downwards and I end up leaking everywhere :s-smilie: I don't know what to do. I went to see the doctor and they said my periods are unusually heavy but there is nothing they can see wrong with me.

I need to find I way to cope with it because it is really stressing me out! Does anyone else have really heavy periods? And if so, how do you stay clean and make sure you don't leak?

Scroll to see replies

Are you on birth control? If not would you consider going on birth control? It may help.
Reply 2
I used to have horribly heavy periods in my younger teens. Have you talked to the doctor about the pill or something similar? Going on the pill really lightened my periods and I rarely got period pains. Just a suggestion :redface:
I'd suggest asking about the pill too.

But are you wearing the pads/tampons made for really heavy flows? Probably a daft question, as I'd assume you were...
Echoing the other 2, ask to go on the pill. My periods definitely lightened up after I went on the combined pill but my cramps didn't so they've now put me on the mini pill and I don't get any periods at all. Its so good not to have to worry about it any more.
Reply 5
Look into the pill or the mirena coil
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your advice :smile: I am on the pill, the doctor put me on it when I went to see them. It has made my periods slightly lighter but despite it they are still ridiculously heavy :frown: I am using super plus tampons and pads designed for night time and I still leak though :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Wow, I don't envy you, that's for sure....
Are the doctors sure that you don't have ovarian cysts?
Reply 8
Do you use just one pad at a time when your flow is at its heaviest?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you everyone for your advice :smile: I am on the pill, the doctor put me on it when I went to see them. It has made my periods slightly lighter but despite it they are still ridiculously heavy :frown: I am using super plus tampons and pads designed for night time and I still leak though :s-smilie:

If you're still having really heavy periods go back and ask to change to the mini pill, you take it every day no week off like with the normal pill so it completely stops your periods. Apparently some people do get some spotting with the mini pill but I've been on it about 4 months now and I haven't had any trouble.
Reply 10
Original post by Eveiebaby
Wow, I don't envy you, that's for sure....
Are the doctors sure that you don't have ovarian cysts?

I'm not sure :s-smilie: I have been to see them a couple of times and they just said they can't see anything wrong....
Reply 11
Original post by xiarang
Do you use just one pad at a time when your flow is at its heaviest?

I Normally double up so they are covering the whole area of my knickers :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hrbrox
If you're still having really heavy periods go back and ask to change to the mini pill, you take it every day no week off like with the normal pill so it completely stops your periods. Apparently some people do get some spotting with the mini pill but I've been on it about 4 months now and I haven't had any trouble.

I might try that, thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just looking for a bit of advice :smile:

My periods are REALLY heavy. I wear tampons and pads at the same time to try and stay hygienic but I bleed through that in about 45 minutes on my heaviest days. When I sit or lie down it just leaks downwards and I end up leaking everywhere :s-smilie: I don't know what to do. I went to see the doctor and they said my periods are unusually heavy but there is nothing they can see wrong with me.

I need to find I way to cope with it because it is really stressing me out! Does anyone else have really heavy periods? And if so, how do you stay clean and make sure you don't leak?

It sounds like you suffer from menorrhagia, which I what I suffer from. The best think to do is to go on the Pill or be prescribed Tranexamic Acid - these medicines reduce the flow of your period. I was taking Tranexamic Acid then I changed to the Pill, and they have both worked for me. :smile: Go back to the doctor and ask to change something to reduce the flow.

Also, try to take some iron tablets because a heavy flow will mean that you are low on iron.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
As others have said look into getting an IUS one of my friends used to have one and her period was only one day of spotting when she was on it. The implant might also might be worth looking into my friends sister has it and apprently doesnt get any bleeding at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
take the pill or get a jab that will stop your periods for 3 months
Wear more than one pad: Wear the night time ones during the day trust me they're amazing, they're super long but thin so wear a thicker one on top don't worry about comfort if you're scared of leaking. And throughout the day I kind of just sit still as I feel moving around only encourages it to bleed more, good luck:smile:
Reply 17
I had really heavy periods like that too I used to wear the night pads to get me through. I went on the pill for years but my periods were still heavy then went on nexplanon this year and my periods have been amazing :smile: Hardly get them now and when I do they're light and I don't feel a thing
Are you overweight? Do you have a bad diet? Do you exercise at all?
If yes to the first two and no to the third, then that could be the cause.

Consider going on the pill. I did that and has helped A LOT. My one was nowhere near as bad as yours, but it was pretty bad and the pill helped calm things down really well. If you want details then feel free to ask, if not then I understand. :wink:

Exercising really helps a lot, especially with making it a little lighter and helping to calm the pain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Does anyone have any recommendations for reallybad cramps? I end up not being able to walk and I'm constantly vommiting during my period.
I was on Cilest and just changed to M30 to see if it would help but no dice

Any homespun miracle cures?

Quick Reply

Latest