The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

English BA at Southampton- how should I prepare?

I've accepted a conditional offer to study English at Southampton this September (very excited!) and was wondering about any preliminary or recommended reading before I start. I have looked online at the module information and that's been helpful at showing me the necessary textbooks but not the actual reading texts? (unless I've completely missed them somehow), so is there anyone that's already studying English that can give me a heads up as to what books to read over the summer? I may as well do something productive! :tongue: Any general comments about the course as well would be very helpful!

Also, is the Avenue Campus easy to get to via the bus links?

Thanks a bunch! :smile:
Reply 1
The U2 stops right outside Avenue campus in the crematorium direction, in the city centre direction it stops on the Avenue about two or three minutes walk away. The nearest stop for the U1 is at the end of Winn road. Can't find the current reading lists but you could ask the academic president (can't remember who that is now) or the society president (Marcus) maybe?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by oboyce
The U2 stops right outside Avenue campus in the crematorium direction, in the city centre direction it stops on the Avenue about two or three minutes walk away. The nearest stop for the U1 is at the end of Winn road. Can't find the current reading lists but you could ask the academic president (can't remember who that is now) or the society president (Marcus) maybe?

okay that sounds simple enough! Thanks for your input I think they may give out reading lists after results day etc but who knows :smile:
Reply 3
Hi!

How are you?

I'm also starting BA English this September at the University of Southampton. Very exciting!

I've asked a few friends who have studied a similar course and they recommended the following books:

1) Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction by Johanaton Culler
2) An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory by Andrew Bennett and Nicholas Royle
3) Literary Theory: An Introduction by Terry Eagleton

I have purchased all three books, but have yet to read them.

I really hope they help! And maybe we'll meet in September!

All the best,

Reema.
Reply 4
Original post by ReemRadwan
Hi!

How are you?

I'm also starting BA English this September at the University of Southampton. Very exciting!

I've asked a few friends who have studied a similar course and they recommended the following books:

1) Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction by Johanaton Culler
2) An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory by Andrew Bennett and Nicholas Royle
3) Literary Theory: An Introduction by Terry Eagleton

I have purchased all three books, but have yet to read them.

I really hope they help! And maybe we'll meet in September!

All the best,

Reema.

Hey! I'm good since I got accepted on results day! :biggrin: Aw thanks so much, I just didn't want to turn up to uni with absolutely nothing haha but I suppose they expect that :tongue: Have you got your accommodation offer yet? I'm in Montefiore 3, hopefully we'll meet on the course!
Reply 5
Original post by Swinub
Hey! I'm good since I got accepted on results day! :biggrin: Aw thanks so much, I just didn't want to turn up to uni with absolutely nothing haha but I suppose they expect that :tongue: Have you got your accommodation offer yet? I'm in Montefiore 3, hopefully we'll meet on the course!

Congratulations! It was such a relief receiving the acceptance on results day.

Glad to help.. yeah, I thought I should get prepared but everyone's been saying not to stress because we're all going to be in the same boat! Just enjoy your summer!

I only live 30 minutes away from the university so I'll be living at home. But hopefully we will! We can get in contact before if you'd like?
Reply 6
Congratulations! It was such a relief receiving the acceptance on results day.

Glad to help.. yeah, I thought I should get prepared but everyone's been saying not to stress because we're all going to be in the same boat! Just enjoy your summer!

I only live 30 minutes away from the university so I'll be living at home. But hopefully we will! We can get in contact before if you'd like?

I know it was amazing! Oh that's nice then you won't be away from your family :smile: I live just over an hour away so going home won't be much of a trek luckily! Aw that's nice of you to offer, do you have facebook? I can add you on it? :^_^:
Reply 7
Original post by Swinub
I know it was amazing! Oh that's nice then you won't be away from your family :smile: I live just over an hour away so going home won't be much of a trek luckily! Aw that's nice of you to offer, do you have facebook? I can add you on it? :^_^:

I'm glad! Living close by makes everything easier. Yeah sure, I'm Reem Radwan on Facebook.
Reply 8
Hey im also going to study English at Southampton, has anyone recieved a reading list so far lol cos im pretty confused on what books to buy. Im from London btw :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SalmaIbry
Hey im also going to study English at Southampton, has anyone recieved a reading list so far lol cos im pretty confused on what books to buy. Im from London btw :smile:

Hey! No official reading list yet, the only thing i'm going on is on the modules list on the website it recommends some of the textbooks (obviously you don't need to buy all of them) but no actual texts, i don't think they expect us to do much before hand :smile: hope to meet you there!
Reply 10
I'm glad! Living close by makes everything easier. Yeah sure, I'm Reem Radwan on Facebook.

I want to make sure I found the right you on facebook :smile: are you from abu dhabi? if not i'll keep looking- I'm Shelley Bartup by the way :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Swinub
I want to make sure I found the right you on facebook :smile: are you from abu dhabi? if not i'll keep looking- I'm Shelley Bartup by the way :smile:

Oh no, that isn't me. I've added you- I hope it's the right one, it was the only account that came up!
Reply 12
Yeah add me on facebook too 'Salma Ibrahim' its me with a pic of a baby looool. And btw guys do you know if there are halls left? Im so stressed in finding accomodation as its my insurance uni and i didn't apply earlier
Reply 13
Oh no, that isn't me. I've added you- I hope it's the right one, it was the only account that came up!

thanks yeah it's me! haha i know my surname is so weird...feel free to say hello any time! :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah add me on facebook too 'Salma Ibrahim' its me with a pic of a baby looool. And btw guys do you know if there are halls left? Im so stressed in finding accomodation as its my insurance uni and i didn't apply earlier

hey i think i've found you, if you have no friend request then i've probably spooked some stranger out haha! I'm Shelley Bartup! I'm not sure how many places are left but they do guarantee accommodation for those who applied before the deadline but if you're insurance you will probably be given a shared room (only for up to 12 weeks will you share though) :smile: my friend firmed southampton but has been given a shared room though so they may be in high demand this year.
Reply 15
Yeah i dont mind sharing so long as its with a girl haha. What halls are you staying in?
Reply 16
Yeah i dont mind sharing so long as its with a girl haha. What halls are you staying in?

Yeah I don't think they'll be that mean to you! I accepted Montefiore 3 :smile: can't wait to see what my room's like!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending