The Student Room Group

ACA - Final 3 Papers

Hi,

I am looking to complete the ACA qualification by Nov. 2014, and for that I am considering on giving BR BC and Case Study in the Nov. 2014 session itself.
I'll be giving myself approximately 13 months from October 2013, to study for these papers.

As all of them are based on a common syllabus I shouldn't think it should be a problem to give it a go? Please let me know from your experience guys, on whether I am missing out on something here and it will not be possible to pass it all in one go.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by slaviapragueq
Hi,

I am looking to complete the ACA qualification by Nov. 2014, and for that I am considering on giving BR BC and Case Study in the Nov. 2014 session itself.
I'll be giving myself approximately 13 months from October 2013, to study for these papers.

As all of them are based on a common syllabus I shouldn't think it should be a problem to give it a go? Please let me know from your experience guys, on whether I am missing out on something here and it will not be possible to pass it all in one go.

Thanks.

13 months is WAY more than 99% of all other candidates.

I have 3 weeks tuition + 4 weeks at work + 3 weeks revision for all three.

I am freaking out a bit by the amount of material, but hopefully will be ok.

So 13 months is amazing. You should aim to be a prizewinner with that amount of time.
Reply 2
Original post by spursfan323
13 months is WAY more than 99% of all other candidates.

I have 3 weeks tuition + 4 weeks at work + 3 weeks revision for all three.

I am freaking out a bit by the amount of material, but hopefully will be ok.

So 13 months is amazing. You should aim to be a prizewinner with that amount of time.

Thanks for your reply.

I just got put off by the amount of syllabus, and the audit busy season. However, considering your opinion I should try going for the next July window.

I cannot attempt the Nov 2013 window as i'm writing the Tax exam in September.

However, i just wanted to confirm whether the syllabus is common between all the three?, i mean Tax, A&A, BS & CR is all there is to it right? Or am i missing out on something?
Reply 3
Original post by slaviapragueq
Thanks for your reply.

I just got put off by the amount of syllabus, and the audit busy season. However, considering your opinion I should try going for the next July window.

I cannot attempt the Nov 2013 window as i'm writing the Tax exam in September.

However, i just wanted to confirm whether the syllabus is common between all the three?, i mean Tax, A&A, BS & CR is all there is to it right? Or am i missing out on something?

BC and BR share the same syllabus, which comprises:

All of FR plus a few new standards

All of Tax plus new advanced areas

Various chunks of BS and FM (primarily business strategy and Valuation techniques)

A lot of Audit - risks and tests

BR has 4 questions, 1 is FR, 1 is tax, the other 2 are integrated between FR tax and audit.

BC has 3 questions, all are integrated but one has more tax in it and one has more BS/FM in it.

Case has nothing to do with the above, doesn't really have its own syllabus. There is a very prescriptive marking scheme which requires you to provide all the points the examiners want to see. The exam always has 3 questions, which usually comprise financial statement analysis, financial data analysis and strategy/ethics discussion. So not really a syllabus to learn.... You need to learn/(revise?) a few techniques other than that you must learn and understand the marking scheme and learn how to deal with case.

Personally I would strongly advise doing case separately. There isn't a syllabus to learn, but practice papers take ages as there is a very great deal of info to read, and this will take away from your time doing BC and BR. This is the advice i got 'off the record' from a BPP tutor (against the publically spread view of BPP).

happy to answer any other questions.
Reply 4
^ Thanks spursfan.

I guess i would have enough time for those three if i have a 13 month window.
Because I already am an ACCA, and i do not want to rush into things here, neither is my employer too concerned about it. Was just concerned about the syllabus, and whether is it general phenomena that people attempt the three exams together.

Once again thanks for your responses, and good luck for your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending