The Student Room Group

Suspended from Nursing

Hi,

This is to do with one of my friends on the course.

The events are as follows - some months back several allegations were made about her, one being extremely serious.

She was suspended at the time. The University sought to remove her through the appropriate channels ie having a hearing etc.

The panel cleared her of the most serious allegation, but upheld the rest. They gave her a caution, and have suspended her till September for the reason that she has missed too much time.

Clearly now the NHS will not pay for her retake year. She has now lost a years salary, 9k tuition fees and living costs for an extra year.

Do you think she can make the University waive the years tuition, - is there anything she can do, or is it her own fault? The NHS said if there are mitigating circumstances they will look into the case.
If the majority of the allegations have been found to be true, on what grounds would she be appealing?
Reply 2
I don't think someone like her should be ever be allowed to become a NURSE if she's committed something(s) very serious. She should probably just get out of the course and uni altogether. This offence will hold her up in later background checks for nursing related jobs, or any job working with vulnerable people.
Reply 3
Original post by yothi5
I don't think someone like her should be ever be allowed to become a NURSE if she's committed something(s) very serious. She should probably just get out of the course and uni altogether. This offence will hold her up in later background checks for nursing related jobs, or any job working with vulnerable people.

i completely agree with you! there are a lot of people that didnt get into nursing that would have been 100% committed!
Original post by Dan9878
Hi,

This is to do with one of my friends on the course.

The events are as follows - some months back several allegations were made about her, one being extremely serious.

She was suspended at the time. The University sought to remove her through the appropriate channels ie having a hearing etc.

The panel cleared her of the most serious allegation, but upheld the rest. They gave her a caution, and have suspended her till September for the reason that she has missed too much time.

Clearly now the NHS will not pay for her retake year. She has now lost a years salary, 9k tuition fees and living costs for an extra year.

Do you think she can make the University waive the years tuition, - is there anything she can do, or is it her own fault? The NHS said if there are mitigating circumstances they will look into the case.

As another poster has said, if these allegations are true, then why should the university waive the years tuition? Does she have any relevant mitigating circumstances that would account for the misdemeanors?

It really depends on what the allegations are, and you haven't said.
Reply 5
What did she do? Did she abuse vulnerable people? If that's the case, there is no way she can do anything. And the same applies to other similar actions. Also, you seem to imply that the allegations were not true?
Reply 6
Original post by Juichiro
What did she do? Did she abuse vulnerable people? If that's the case, there is no way she can do anything. And the same applies to other similar actions. Also, you seem to imply that the allegations were not true?

Nope nothing like that. The serious allegation was not upheld - ie not true.

The proven allegations did not involve patient safety. I don't think the NMC or any university would give a caution for abusing vulnerable people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by yothi5

How does a University related matter hold you up in later life? We are not talking about a police caution here in case that is what you are thinking.
A university matter may not hold up in later life through DBS checks but the university are the people who will be required to declare to the NMC that a person is of "good character". Good character includes honesty, trustworthiness, professionalism and attitude. If the university is in any doubt they probably wouldn't provide this declaration and your friend would be unable to register with the NMC and gain her PIN.
Reply 9
Original post by Dan9878
How does a University related matter hold you up in later life? We are not talking about a police caution here in case that is what you are thinking.

The way you've talked about it, makes it sound like as if it's utmost serious. But anyway, you never know. What if she needs a reference from uni in later life?

What was the 'crime' anyway? Did she cheat in an exam if it's non-patients related? Spill! spill!!
Reply 10
Has this person been told that they NHS will not pay their fees when they go back to uni? Generally for nursing courses you're not allowed to self fund, so I can't see the university allowing her back if the NHS aren't paying, they already said she can go back onto the course so it might not even be an issue. She may however need to find the money that she won't get in her bursary (not salary), which may be difficult for her.

As for the good character stuff, it may be an issue when it comes for applying for jobs, but I doubt the university would let her back onto her course if at the end of it all they're not going to say she has good character to join the register as a newly qualified nurse.
Reply 11
Original post by moonkatt
Has this person been told that they NHS will not pay their fees when they go back to uni? Generally for nursing courses you're not allowed to self fund, so I can't see the university allowing her back if the NHS aren't paying, they already said she can go back onto the course so it might not even be an issue. She may however need to find the money that she won't get in her bursary (not salary), which may be difficult for her.

As for the good character stuff, it may be an issue when it comes for applying for jobs, but I doubt the university would let her back onto her course if at the end of it all they're not going to say she has good character to join the register as a newly qualified nurse.

The university said that she can return next year as she has missed too much this year. They have mentioned nothing about funding.

However the NHS bursary people said they don't normally fund a retake of a year unless there are extenuating or special circumstances.
Reply 12
Original post by Dan9878
The university said that she can return next year as she has missed too much this year. They have mentioned nothing about funding.

However the NHS bursary people said they don't normally fund a retake of a year unless there are extenuating or special circumstances.

I think she needs to have a proper chat with uni and the bursary people about her funding then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending