The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lele93
There are many great men and many great women, people need to stop being childish stating that there are better men than women and visa versa because man or woman no one here has achieved anything nearly as great as any of the people that have been listed. Also, Florence Nightingale was on one of the early banknotes, so she doesn't need to be again, I don't agree with people discrediting her though as she fought alongside men in the trenches helping save their lives.

There are men who did far more than Florence nightingale, look in the field of medicine and see the men who saved millions by advancement in medicine.
But their names are not mention.
Reply 41
Original post by Psyk
I don't see the problem. Isn't there a woman on every bank note anyway?

There's only Elizabeth Fry on the five pound note and she's being replaced by Churchill
Reply 42
Original post by lele93
There's only Elizabeth Fry on the five pound note and she's being replaced by Churchill

Thank Churchill that you don't speak German!
Reply 43
Original post by ssxx
There are men who did far more than Florence nightingale, look in the field of medicine and see the men who saved millions by advancement in medicine.
But their names are not mention.

There are also women who did the same thing but their names are not mentioned. You clearly do not know a lot about Florence nightingale to seem to discredit every achievement she has made.
Reply 44
Original post by lele93

The Queen
Virtually all great things throughout history have come from men.

You can argue that it's because women haven't had the opportunities but it doesn't change that fact.
Reply 46
Thank the British army not Churchill!
Reply 47
slightly different.
Reply 48
slight sweeping statement, all great things have come from men?
Reply 49
Original post by ssxx

You are a fool, You can not call Churchill a racist, he was a man of his time.
You are judging people from the past on today's moral standards.

-
MORE MEN OF NOTE
Francis Drake (1540-1596): Fired the imagination of a nation. From Drake onwards Englishmen, and then Britons, looked to the sea for wealth, power and adventure.
Isaac Newton (1643-1727): Redefined the universe and our relationship with it. He built the foundations of modern science.
William âWilberforce (1759-1833): One of an extraordinary group of men who managed to get slavery abolished.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel(1806-1859): Ships, tunnels, buildings, trains and much more. The great genius of the Industrial Revolution.
Charles Darwin (1809-1882): Made the biggest, most dangerous and far-reaching scientific breakthrough in history. We are not what we once thought we were.

Alan Turing (1912-1954): He was instrumental in the development of computers and also breaking the Nazi top-secret code during the Second World War.
-

The list is endless compared to women, I guess women don't have the genius gene.

Your comment is ridiculous.

Churchill in 1919 said "I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilised tribes."

Churchill in 1937 said "I will not pretend that, if I had to choose between communism and nazism, I would choose communism."

Also in 1937 "One may dislike Hitler's system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated, I hope we should find a champion as admirable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations."

I'm not sure these were exactly morally acceptable at the time.

Also, I'm not sure you fully understand how genetics works.
Reply 50
It makes me laugh that there are so many uneducated people within this country. Many women have achieved a lot for this country.
Reply 51
Original post by lele93

Look on the other side :wink:
Do they forget about the picture of the queen on every single denomination in the British currency? Is the queen not a woman?
Reply 53
Original post by fatpat

Also, I'm not sure you fully understand how genetics works.

Why is it even today when more girls do better in GCSE than boys, due to the structure of the education system. Genius are still men! the most gifted kids are boys. In Every field males excel in the extreme, men just think better outside the box.
This is down to genetics.
Reply 54
Original post by moalem.abassi
Do they forget about the picture of the queen on every single denomination in the British currency? Is the queen not a woman?

no they do not forget :smile:
Oh wow. This has descended in to:

People arguing over who the "better" sex is...
Reply 56
This forum is full of immature little boys, many men that have maturity and intellect understand that there are many women that have achieved amazing things throughout history. It is immaturity that states one is better than the other. Individual achievements cant be grouped together through gender and then compared that's stupidity. I think it's quite disrespectful to undermine the achievements of national heroes man or woman. Also, people going on about 'more men have achieved things for this country than women', also more men have been detrimental to this country, think about that!
Reply 57
I agree with the point that its silly for feminists to get upset about this....
Li feel they frequently claim they want equality but only if it favours them..... For example at least 50% of employees have to be female which means that there's basically always more females than makes in a lot of corporate companies which is ridiculous but I would say hat your argument is flawed
churchill is massively overreacted and did a lot of bad for example returning 20,000 soldering to Stalin knowing everyone would be shot and over looks that Katy's massacre knowing full well that it was Russia and not Germany lot of things about the Cold War are overlooked because of ww1 which is wrong but whilst I disagree with your reason why I totally agree with your argument
Reply 58
Original post by ssxx
Why is it even today when more girls do better in GCSE than boys, due to the structure of the education system. Genius are still men! the most gifted kids are boys. In Every field males excel in the extreme, men just think better outside the box.
This is down to genetics.

This comment is ridiculous in so many ways, but just going down the genetics route, then these boys can inherit genius from their mother if it is down to genetics.

I feel this is going off-topic however.
Reply 59
Original post by lele93
There are also women who did the same thing but their names are not mentioned. You clearly do not know a lot about Florence nightingale to seem to discredit every achievement she has made.

All Florence nightingale did was keep things clean and it was because she believed in miasmas... Not bacteria the death rate in the hospital increased when she was there also

That argument it totally flawed

also it's not fair to say that a women's achievement is more credible just because she is a wowoman for example first woman doctor etexcite the same achievement a man made

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending