The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

Scroll to see replies

No politician should ever be depicted on currency. Churchill was not a monarch, no matter how much certain members of the Conservative party would like to think he was. I will not support the beatification of partisan political figures, first Thatcher, now this. Hitler appealed to the same sort of thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by fatpat
This comment is ridiculous in so many ways, but just going down the genetics route, then these boys can inherit genius from their mother if it is down to genetics.

I feel this is going off-topic however.

Well it seems women don't use these dormant genes but pass it on to the boys.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by scrotgrot
No politician should ever be depicted on currency. Churchill was not a monarch, no matter how much certain members of the Conservative party would like to think he was.

Churchill has more credibility to be on the banknote than any monarch. Heck David Beckham has more credibility than any monarch to be on one.
Reply 63
This argument has totally dedeteriorated you can't compare men and women because they re different

on the wwphole men do better than wwomen however I think this difference is becoming smsmaller women tend to be more determined and persevere hence coursework is designed for them and that's why we are so good at nanagging this is not to say that a woman could not do the same things as men and many women are more than capable of of this

still find it funny that everyone praises the suffragette who died jumping in front of the kings horse but no end acknowledges her stupidity in that she was trying to out a garland round the horses neck as it was racing!!!!

thats not commendable
Original post by ssxx
Well it seems women don't use these dormant genes but pass it on to the boys.

Are you being serious? Do you know anything about genetics? That is not how it works at all :facepalm2:
Educate yourself.
Original post by 419
Churchill has more credibility to be on the banknote than any monarch. Heck David Beckham has more credibility than any monarch to be on one.

The monarch is not partisan, and, I believe, in the modern world actually protects us against autocracy.
Reply 66
Original post by Dougz
All Florence nightingale did was keep things clean and it was because she believed in miasmas... Not bacteria the death rate in the hospital increased when she was there also

That argument it totally flawed

also it's not fair to say that a women's achievement is more credible just because she is a wowoman for example first woman doctor etexcite the same achievement a man made

it is an understatement to say that all she did was keep things clean, she started the first nursing school in london and helped wounded soldiers on the trenches risking her own life. I'm sure she didn't get all her merits and medals for just cleaning.
Reply 67
Original post by SophieSmall
Are you being serious? Do you know anything about genetics? That is not how it works at all :facepalm2:
Educate yourself.

It is a scientific fact that there are more genius among males than females.
Go educate yourself about the bell shape curve and intelligence.
Original post by ssxx

No, that's not a common fact. That's common bull****.
Reply 69
Original post by lele93
your stupidity angers me, If you know so much why are you illiterate?

I have dyslexia but at least I got into a leading Russell group university:colondollar:
Reply 70
Original post by lele93
it is an understatement to say that all she did was keep things clean, she started the first nursing school in london and helped wounded soldiers on the trenches risking her own life. I'm sure she didn't get all her merits and medals for just cleaning.

She got her merits because she was a woman so people thought her achievements were better because of that which is wrwrongs he set up the nursing school because she was rich which again anyone could have dodone I one acknowledges the first one set up by a man because its not seen as a achievement whe a guy does it
Unfair

honest I'm not saying she wasn't gogood and tbh she was arguably a better person than churchill
but the argument of Florence knighting ale being this spectacular person just isn't a great one
Reply 71
Original post by ssxx
I have dyslexia but at least I got into a leading Russell group university:colondollar:

I deleted it because it was not aimed at you, going to a Russell Group University however does not remove your masochistic ideas.
Reply 72
Original post by ssxx

Go educate yourself! Besides from your shoddy genetics, your information about the bell curve isn't strictly true either, you've omitted the bit about the lower end of the spectrum for males...
Reply 73
Original post by LordBradburn
I only agree with Rosalind Franklin tbh

I would disagree with the inclusion of Franklin. One would be hard-pressed to put forth an argument for her being on the bank note to the exclusion of Francis Crick (co-discoverer of DNA structure and also British) without invoking positive discrimination. While Franklin's crystallography data contributed to the elucidation of the DNA structure, it was actually Crick and Watson that ultimately conceived of the DNA double-helical structure in full. Crick also went on to make fundamental contributions to molecular biology (namely investigation into the Central Dogma) after the DNA structure discovery, while Franklin's subsequent work was of lesser importance (although it she be noted that she died ovarian cancer at the age of 37).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by lele93
I deleted it because it was not aimed at you, going to a Russell Group University however does not remove your masochistic ideas.

But it still hurt, everyone makes fun of my dyslexia:cry:
Reply 75
There has been nothing stopping women from achieving in the past 30 years in the West so why are most major scientific and political achievements still by men? Who made facebook? Who made Google? Who made up the majority of scientists and engineers of the latest Nasa robot explorer mission?
Inb4 middle aged men from the bad old days still alive and in control
All the 1950's "Mad Men" style men are long retired by now.
If a woman graduated university in 1990 she is probably around 45 now. Plenty of time to have done something with her life. The prime Minister of the UK is 46.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Dougz
She got her merits because she was a woman so people thought her achievements were better because of that which is wrwrongs he set up the nursing school because she was rich which again anyone could have dodone I one acknowledges the first one set up by a man because its not seen as a achievement whe a guy does it
Unfair

honest I'm not saying she wasn't gogood and tbh she was arguably a better person than churchill
but the argument of Florence knighting ale being this spectacular person just isn't a great one

That wasn't the case at all, during the time in which she existed the women's rights movement was hardly in the public eye, therefore nothing to do with the fact she was a woman at all. Your information is wrong and I've stated that I feel arguing who is better is idiotic, I'm not arguing her achievements against anyone else, making stupid statements about all she did was clean and undermining a woman who risked her life for soldiers I think is wrong.
Reply 77
Original post by fatpat
Go educate yourself! Besides from your shoddy genetics, your information about the bell curve isn't strictly true either, you've omitted the bit about the lower end of the spectrum for males...

You need to educate yourself so you don't keep failing your OU exams.
Reply 78
Original post by scrotgrot
The monarch is not partisan, and, I believe, in the modern world actually protects us against autocracy.

Right, just like how non-monarchist state are ruled by autocrats. I see the logic in your point.
I think we should have the heathen gods of old on our currency. Naked Freyja for the 2p! :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending