Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Legal advice sought - am I being harassed?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Incoming wall of texts - cliffnotes at the end.

I moved into a flatshare in London back in September 2012. There was a polish couple resident in the downstairs room, which was converted from the living room.

This couple have been nothing but abusive to me and the other two (English) tenants in the flat throughout the course of the past 9 months.

One room upstairs has now been through three tenants, all of whom have been forced out by this couples disgusting abusive behaviour.

The main perpetrator is the female of the couple; she flies off the handle at any given moment about all manners of complaints - namely noise complaints and sleep disturbances - anything will wake her up, and she gets draconian about it.

She has accused all 3 of us over the past 9 months of being racist and deliberately making noise to upset her, claiming that the disturbances are deliberate and discriminatory based on the fact she's Polish. She once stood outside of my door bitching about me to another flatmate for 20 minutes, whilst I was home no less.

I am terrified of what she might do and living with her for the past 9 months has been horrible and really negatively impacted my quality of life. I feel like I've been abused as I am actually hypervigilant - I find myself getting anxious when I hear certain triggering sounds in the flat.

She has now threatened to go to the police and report our "behaviour" (for which there is a total lack of evidence) as harassment and even a hate crime. She has caused so much distress that one flatmate is moving out and the other had to take 2 weeks of leave from work and went home to live with his parents for 2 weeks. As soon as he returned, **** kicked off again. This is a 36 year old man who had to go back home to his parents.

I am moving out in 4 weeks time.

tl;dr

- live with flatmate
    - she has abused me and other flatmates for months
    - I feel her behaviour constitutes harassment
    - she plays the race card and calls us all racists
    - says she will report us for harassment and hate crime (top lol)
    - all three of us flatmates have been forced out

I basically want to know if her behaviour consitutes harassment and whether I should go to the police. I am happy to provide more details if need be.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gather evidence and provide it in the event that she does go to the police.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    Incoming wall of texts - cliffnotes at the end.

I moved into a flatshare in London back in September 2012. There was a polish couple resident in the downstairs room, which was converted from the living room.

This couple have been nothing but abusive to me and the other two (English) tenants in the flat throughout the course of the past 9 months.

One room upstairs has now been through three tenants, all of whom have been forced out by this couples disgusting abusive behaviour.

The main perpetrator is the female of the couple; she flies off the handle at any given moment about all manners of complaints - namely noise complaints and sleep disturbances - anything will wake her up, and she gets draconian about it.

She has accused all 3 of us over the past 9 months of being racist and deliberately making noise to upset her, claiming that the disturbances are deliberate and discriminatory based on the fact she's Polish. She once stood outside of my door bitching about me to another flatmate for 20 minutes, whilst I was home no less.

I am terrified of what she might do and living with her for the past 9 months has been horrible and really negatively impacted my quality of life. I feel like I've been abused as I am actually hypervigilant - I find myself getting anxious when I hear certain triggering sounds in the flat.

She has now threatened to go to the police and report our "behaviour" (for which there is a total lack of evidence) as harassment and even a hate crime. She has caused so much distress that one flatmate is moving out and the other had to take 2 weeks of leave from work and went home to live with his parents for 2 weeks. As soon as he returned, **** kicked off again. This is a 36 year old man who had to go back home to his parents.

I am moving out in 4 weeks time.

tl;dr

- live with flatmate
    - she has abused me and other flatmates for months
    - I feel her behaviour constitutes harassment
    - she plays the race card and calls us all racists
    - says she will report us for harassment and hate crime (top lol)
    - all three of us flatmates have been forced out

I basically want to know if her behaviour consitutes harassment and whether I should go to the police. I am happy to provide more details if need be.
    If she makes you feel uncomfortable or threatened then you may have a case

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotfireLegend)
    Gather evidence and provide it in the event that she does go to the police.
    I've urged my flatmate to see his GP and let them know, just so that its on file somewhere, that someone reputable has written evidence. I've told my psychologist before hand about how I feel about the situation, that im hypervigilant and feel im being abused, and will be bringing it up again this Wednesday.

I was chatting with this woman earlier this evening, and she told me that her patience was at its limit, as was her partners, and that she doesnt want it to come to the point where her partner quote unquote "has to grab that kid by the throat and force him up against the wall". Jesus christ. I'm going to start recording my conversations with her.

(Original post by Assaultvictim)
    If she makes you feel uncomfortable or threatened then you may have a case

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that would be fair to say
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mention to your GP.
    Record/video whats happening.
    Video secretly what she is doing towards you i.e. face to face conversation with a secret camera
    Ask GP to write about your health due to whats happening...

There --> Sufficient evidence to create a case against her!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you are being harassed and it sounds like you are living in a hell hole.

However, in all likelihood - involving the police will do nothing other than make things even more unbearable. The fact is that even if you are in the right - morally, legally or whatever - the hassle isn't worth it.

Speak to your landlord and try and move out ASAP. I know you said you are moving in 4 weeks but if you start **** up before you go, you not only have the worry that they will make your life even worse but they may **** with your possessions or do something to your room which jeopardises your deposit.

Move on and see if you have the energy for a formal complaint afterwards is my advice.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that she lives with you makes things awkward. If this wasn't the case, you could visit the police and they would be likely to issue an harassment order against her. This usually sorts most problems out and you have a remedy if it doesn't.

I think your best bet is to get out of there asap.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    The fact that she lives with you makes things awkward. If this wasn't the case, you could visit the police and they would be likely to issue an harassment order against her. This usually sorts most problems out and you have a remedy if it doesn't.

I think your best bet is to get out of there asap.

(Original post by Mark85)
    Dude, you are being harassed and it sounds like you are living in a hell hole.

However, in all likelihood - involving the police will do nothing other than make things even more unbearable. The fact is that even if you are in the right - morally, legally or whatever - the hassle isn't worth it.

Speak to your landlord and try and move out ASAP. I know you said you are moving in 4 weeks but if you start **** up before you go, you not only have the worry that they will make your life even worse but they may **** with your possessions or do something to your room which jeopardises your deposit.

Move on and see if you have the energy for a formal complaint afterwards is my advice.

thanks for the advice guys

I can stick it out another 4 weeks as right now im not the focus of hatred lmao
    only 4 more weeks and I am outta here
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    record a conversation of two in case anythings kicks off before you leave. Once you've left notify the landlord of your reason for moving. Tell the other flatmates that you will give a statement if they wish to take action.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suedonim)
    record a conversation of two in case anythings kicks off before you leave. Once you've left notify the landlord of your reason for moving. Tell the other flatmates that you will give a statement if they wish to take action.
    Sound advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2013
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.