The Student Room Group

Can i become and Investment banker with a Geography degree?

So I picked geography bsc and during the open days the lecturers said a few people went into banking and finance. I am just wondering how exactly I could do that because although geog might be the broadest degree out there, I still am baffled by the fact I could become an investment banker (which i really want to). So i guess i should apply for internships but wouldn't they accept people with maths and business instead of a geography student?
Original post by mamosixx
So I picked geography bsc and during the open days the lecturers said a few people went into banking and finance. I am just wondering how exactly I could do that because although geog might be the broadest degree out there, I still am baffled by the fact I could become an investment banker (which i really want to). So i guess i should apply for internships but wouldn't they accept people with maths and business instead of a geography student?

Same I want to study geography at uni, but I don't know what jobs to apply for, it seems annoying when people say its broad so you can do it anywhere....but where is anywhere, can you narrow it down - anyone that does geography? :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Blueray2
Same I want to study geography at uni, but I don't know what jobs to apply for, it seems annoying when people say its broad so you can do it anywhere....but where is anywhere, can you narrow it down - anyone that does geography? :frown:

that is exactly what i was thinking. I have absolutely no clue what i want to specialize in. I thought i wanted to do psychical but from what i heard and was told, human geographers make more money since u can work in many more places.
Reply 3
Original post by mamosixx

The degree discipline really doesn't matter for the majority of roles. You won't be disadvantaged against someone with a Maths degree. Obviously there are a few roles such as trading roles which do prefer more quantitative disciplines.

The university you go to matters much more, the majority of interns are from Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending