Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to improve social skills.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can I improve my social skills? What techniques can I use to practice them? Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To get better , get yourself more invlved in conversations , it may be hard at the start. If you want to challenge yourself talk to someone who you wouldnt normall talk to , you need to fight the shyness and get used to talking to a variety of people with confidence. Obviously im not saying you should randomly go up to strangers on the street , but if you get the chance at family or other social events etc. Also i think its really important just to be yourself dont feel like you need to act or be something that your not.
    i think personally improving social skills is a big goal , try to pick small goals like ' i want to go to a party and have a successful conversation' lol. Plus there are tons of social skill books etc that you can read.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't use the character of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory as a role model.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    OP, witty things like this should be natural to you if you want good social skills.

If you must, take up smoking or watch football, these are the ultimate conversation starters. I was on the train to the Warwick open day and the two guys next to me introduced themselves and spoke about their uni choices, but the rest of the conversation was 100% football.

Alcohol too, but that's in a bar setting. Smoking and football is universal (bar non-smoking areas). If you're both into football you can literally talk forever.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Ahahah *thumb up*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to BE YOURSELF.
    As long as you know who you are and you're someone nice to have around, don't ever try to show you are better than anyone else. Just act like if people knew you were a nice guy (are you?! ahah) and behave really normally. Be casual. Don't try to involve yourself into talks you don't care about. Don't play a role and the "right" people (people that match with you. Same interests, same view of life, etc) will naturally go towards you. If not, you don't care, you cannot be friend with everyone! And you will always have the opportunity to meet new and amazing people. But you knew it

I think that's not only "how to bahave" or having techniques.
    That's also about how you see things. As soon as you get it, you will see things totally differently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venomilys)
    OP, witty things like this should be natural to you if you want good social skills.

If you must, take up smoking or watch football, these are the ultimate conversation starters. I was on the train to the Warwick open day and the two guys next to me introduced themselves and spoke about their uni choices, but the rest of the conversation was 100% football.

Alcohol too, but that's in a bar setting. Smoking and football is universal (bar non-smoking areas). If you're both into football you can literally talk forever.
    I find sports are a great way to interact with other people easily, although i think starting smoking to solve a problem is slightly ironic. But in your defense you said it was a last resort.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2013
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.