Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GAME Kingston and GAME White city Westfield shut down!?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What stores are even left in London now?? I preorderd a ps4 from Kingston! GAME are literally a joke seriously seems like they are on the way to admin again !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud118)
    What stores are even left in London now?? I preorderd a ps4 from Kingston! GAME are literally a joke seriously seems like they are on the way to admin again !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what? they all closed? . nooo ACNL... i need it!
    • 99 followers

ReputationRep:
    One word internet and digital downloads, all the shops are closing down due to the sit on your arse at home and wait for a download approach to buying a game, or simply paying through amazon
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17512143

This is an old article, its in administration which isn't a death sentence but its not good.

I think its due to poor future prospects, the disk will be an outdated medium soon and it struggles to match online prices for newer games.

With things like the harsh DRM that Microsoft just abolished are going to happen eventually so its to be expected if they cannot adapt, shame though I liked the stores.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They seem to be closing all the big stores over the small ones ! Don't think they have long left ill give it till GTA 5 ! I really liked Kingston it was always busy when I went in there such a shame to see it go ! Especially as there is no store near Kingston at all !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaLeRo)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17512143

This is an old article, its in administration which isn't a death sentence but its not good.

I think its due to poor future prospects, the disk will be an outdated medium soon and it struggles to match online prices for newer games.

With things like the harsh DRM that Microsoft just abolished are going to happen eventually so its to be expected if they cannot adapt, shame though I liked the stores.
    They're out of administration now. They closed down a lot of stores (which needed to be done really, there were an excessive amount), but they are still going for the time being. They're not in immediate danger of shutting down entirely any more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sad to hear !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    CEX ftw
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Soon no shops will be on the high street other than clothing retailers. The next job is to reduce the cost of P+P. Once that has been achieved, everything, and I mean everything, will be cheaper online. It's simply a matter of time.

Stores will simply become loss making assets and firms will see that as inefficient. They may keep one or two open in an area for advertising but other than that I can't see them lasting.

Stuff like electricals where you don't really need to feel or touch the item will be destined for online only. I can only see furniture and clothing needing to remain on the high street alongside supermarkets, banks, health and beauty etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Soon no shops will be on the high street other than clothing retailers. The next job is to reduce the cost of P+P. Once that has been achieved, everything, and I mean everything, will be cheaper online. It's simply a matter of time.

Stores will simply become loss making assets and firms will see that as inefficient. They may keep one or two open in an area for advertising but other than that I can't see them lasting.

Stuff like electricals where you don't really need to feel or touch the item will be destined for online only. I can only see furniture and clothing needing to remain on the high street alongside supermarkets, banks, health and beauty etc.
    I 100% agree everywhere is free delivery too, they are slowly losing store count day by day. Before you know it all that will exist with GAME will probably just be there website. It's shocking that places like Kingston and Westfield make crazy amounts if money during Christmas and they can't afford to keep them open. This Christmas coming up won't be a good one for them either, there will be so much competition in terms of the selling price for the new consoles its almost guaranteed they will be cheaper online such a shame RIP GAME.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloud118)
    I 100% agree everywhere is free delivery too, they are slowly losing store count day by day. Before you know it all that will exist with GAME will probably just be there website. It's shocking that places like Kingston and Westfield make crazy amounts if money during Christmas and they can't afford to keep them open. This Christmas coming up won't be a good one for them either, there will be so much competition in terms of the selling price for the new consoles its almost guaranteed they will be cheaper online such a shame RIP GAME.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep and the fact that Microsoft and games makers don't even need to sell to third party retailers like game anymore makes it even more difficult thanks to digital downloads.

Added to the fact that we're gonna have a housing crisis soon, it wouldn't suprise me if shops and other commerical properties slowly, but surely, start receiving permission to be used for residential dwellings. Otherwise I just see empty units because it's evident that the rise of the internet will stop high street trade. I almost never buy anything in the shops anymore, other than supermarkets. Says it all really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They will have to go through me first before they take Wood Green GAME!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I went there the other day to find out it was closed. The one in Ealing (which isn't too far off) is still open .

EDIT: The one in Westfield has closed too? ****
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, Westfield isn't surprising, the rents are astronomical in that place as every major retailer wants a unit there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Yeah I went there the other day to find out it was closed. The one in Ealing (which isn't too far off) is still open .

EDIT: The one in Westfield has closed too? ****
    Yeah I visited the one in Ealing in the centre for the first time (had no choice, closest one to me) the store was really nice and neat, the staff were very polite and friendly compared to white city. There's also one in hammersmith but I didn't like it they try to sell you extra stuff so much and don't take no for an awnser !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a business they have their critics. And perhaps digital downloads on consoles are helping their demise. It's just the market. Remember video rental stores? My local one went ages ago and was replaced with a betting store.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate how they closed both the Swindon stores which were about 40 metres away from each other, rather than close one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend putting money on gift cards to be on the safe side...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    As a business they have their critics. And perhaps digital downloads on consoles are helping their demise. It's just the market. Remember video rental stores? My local one went ages ago and was replaced with a betting store.
    And soon betting shops will go once people start using the online betting more. Once the older generation go and the young of today know how to use online, they'll be no use of betting shops. They'll just become unnecessary expenditure.

Basically, people will start getting fatter and more lazy as a result of the internet.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    tbh even less than great games were always still overpriced in GAME imo, and as for older new releases the sale price was never that low, all in all I think most people went to stores like cex, amazon, ebay and just bought of their psn/xboxlive/steam etc

I have no tears for game tbh they been going down hill along time, I'll probably purchase any future console from the likes of amazon or tesco etc

as for games hopefuly pre-owned rental will still be a option with ps4 because the rental service on lovefilm is great for games you can beat in a few days, saves ya 20-40 quid in game like lol.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.