The Student Room Group

How did you know engineering was for you?

Hello!

I'm looking into things I could study at university and I'm looking at engineering because many of the subjects I studied and enjoyed at A level are involved heavily in engineering. I did Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.

How did you decide/know that engineering was right for you?
Original post by KD35
Hello!

I'm looking into things I could study at university and I'm looking at engineering because many of the subjects I studied and enjoyed at A level are involved heavily in engineering. I did Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics and Economics.

I wanted to go to university and, similar to yourself, I enjoyed maths and physics (well, most of the time!) so looked into something that would utilise those subjects at university. Engineering had really good career prospects, and teachers at my school generally shepherded us towards engineering for this reason. I always wanted a technical career so it felt right.
Reply 2
I'd have to say that, to me, engineering was more about the designing and making things rather than the maths and physics I'd studied. It was about problem solving and creating functional things which really attracted me into the subject.

I just like to see things being well designed and well made. Maths and mechanics are essential parts in making that happen, but it goes beyond that when making stuff work and look right.

Having hands-on experience with tools and machinery is very useful as well. I loved making things from K'Nex components to doing proper design tasks at college. Being able to evaluate my designs and knowing how best to design and plan things was what drew me in to it all.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I wanted to go to university and, similar to yourself, I enjoyed maths and physics (well, most of the time!) so looked into something that would utilise those subjects at university. Engineering had really good career prospects, and teachers at my school generally shepherded us towards engineering for this reason. I always wanted a technical career so it felt right.

Would it be right to go for engineering because i like maths and physics? Is there a specific reason some people go for engineering and not maths/physics?
Original post by Smack

Original post by SillyEddy
I'd have to say that, to me, engineering was more about the designing and making things rather than the maths and physics I'd studied. It was about problem solving and creating functional things which really attracted me into the subject.

I just like to see things being well designed and well made. Maths and mechanics are essential parts in making that happen, but it goes beyond that when making stuff work and look right.

Having hands-on experience with tools and machinery is very useful as well. I loved making things from K'Nex components to doing proper design tasks at college. Being able to evaluate my designs and knowing how best to design and plan things was what drew me in to it all.

As someone who doesn't do engineering because I prefer other subjects I have to say that, I really admire you guys for the fact that people like me owe it to guys like you, who produce great long lasting structures that we use in our day to day lives.
Thanks guys :u: And yeah K'nex and Lego can't get enough of it :biggrin:
Ive always been pretty curious as to what makes things tick, I come from an engineering background so I was encouraged froma young age to build things and explore echanically how things worked. Ive also always been pretty bright, I grasped the "logical" subjects pretty easilly and it went from there, I sort of just grew up curious about how things work and then decided mech eng was what I would enjoy studying further!
Original post by KD35
Would it be right to go for engineering because i like maths and physics? Is there a specific reason some people go for engineering and not maths/physics?

No, I think to go for engineering you also need to envisage it as a career and not just because you like some subjects that the degree includes, although that's certainly helpful. Engineering is, as SillyEddy says, about designing and making things. The maths and physics aid this, but ultimately I think you also have to have, or be able to develop, the physical intuition to actually do this designing and making.

If you're only interested in solving equations you'd be okay for a degree in the subject although I wouldn't recommend a career in it. People choose engineering because they like designing and making things and want a career doing just that. They're also usually quite good at and at least somewhat enjoy maths and physics.

For me, there would have been little point in doing a maths or physics degree as it wouldn't take me where I want to go. However if you are genuinely interested in these subjects then you may well consider a degree in them. I was interested in them, enough to motivate myself to study, but not interested enough to read about them in my own time, about areas not covered in school.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
No, I think to go for engineering you also need to envisage it as a career and not just because you like some subjects that the degree includes, although that's certainly helpful. Engineering is, as SillyEddy says, about designing and making things. The maths and physics aid this, but ultimately I think you also have to have, or be able to develop, the physical intuition to actually do this designing and making.

If you're only interested in solving equations you'd be okay for a degree in the subject although I wouldn't recommend a career in it. People choose engineering because they like designing and making things and want a career doing just that. They're also usually quite good at and at least somewhat enjoy maths and physics.

For me, there would have been little point in doing a maths or physics degree as it wouldn't take me where I want to go. However if you are genuinely interested in these subjects then you may well consider a degree in them. I was interested in them, enough to motivate myself to study, but not interested enough to read about them in my own time, about areas not covered in school.

I know I'd like applying maths to the real world. How can I find out if I enjoy designing or making things? I haven't really had an opportunity, the only one I can think of is I enjoyed making things in resistant materials and graphics in school but they were all very basic.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack

No, I think to go for engineering you also need to envisage it as a career.

Engineering is, as SillyEddy says, about designing and making things. The maths and physics aid this, but ultimately I think you also have to have, or be able to develop, the physical intuition to actually do this designing and making

People choose engineering because they like designing and making things and want a career doing just that. They're also usually quite good at and at least somewhat enjoy maths and physics.

I was interested in them, enough to motivate myself to study, but not interested enough to read about them in my own time, about areas not covered in school

these are exactly the reasons why I wanted to do engineering!! Well said! :biggrin:
Original post by KD35
I know I'd like applying maths to the real world. How can I find out if I enjoy designing or making things? I haven't really had an opportunity, the only one I can think of is I enjoyed making things in resistant materials and graphics in school but they were all very basic.

I was the same in that I had had very little experience of designing and making things before university, so choosing engineering was initially a bit of a leap of faith but it worked out fine for me.

If you end up studying engineering but find out you dislike making and designing things then the good news is that an engineering degree doesn't constrict you to engineering as a career: in fact, it is one of the most versatile degrees out there!
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
I was the same in that I had had very little experience of designing and making things before university, so choosing engineering was initially a bit of a leap of faith but it worked out fine for me.

If you end up studying engineering but find out you dislike making and designing things then the good news is that an engineering degree doesn't constrict you to engineering as a career: in fact, it is one of the most versatile degrees out there!

Ok well I've looked into it a fair bit and I think if I had to choose one of the disciplines, it'd be civil atm. Could I just do a maths degree and do a masters in engineering or apply for engineering roles straight out of undergrad maths?
Original post by KD35
Ok well I've looked into it a fair bit and I think if I had to choose one of the disciplines, it'd be civil atm. Could I just do a maths degree and do a masters in engineering or apply for engineering roles straight out of undergrad maths?

It's very difficult to get an engineering job after a maths degree as many positions only accept engineering graduates for various reasons. You could do a related MSc but often that's no substitute for an MEng.

Engineering as a profession is oversubscribed at the entry level and taking non-standard routes makes it exceedingly difficult to get into.
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
It's very difficult to get an engineering job after a maths degree as many positions only accept engineering graduates for various reasons. You could do a related MSc but often that's no substitute for an MEng.

Engineering as a profession is oversubscribed at the entry level and taking non-standard routes makes it exceedingly difficult to get into.

Difficult decisions.. have you graduated? Can you give me an example where engineers can be creative? I've heard a lot of creativity is needed but I don't understand where.
Original post by KD35
Hello!

To be honest, I chose engineering by accident. Even though I loved maths, chemistry and physics (mechanics, to Hades with astrophysics :cool:) I'd say my interest was more towards a Chemistry degree. But the concepts, laws and results that engineering brings fascinates me. So, I'm down with engineering :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by KD35
Difficult decisions.. have you graduated? Can you give me an example where engineers can be creative? I've heard a lot of creativity is needed but I don't understand where.

Finished my degree, and there are many examples where engineers have to be creative! Just think about when anything is designed and improved, and think about R&D too. Operational roles can also require a fair bit of creativity, just in a different way to design or R&D. Creativity is at the heart of engineering!
Original post by KD35

One of our minor projects in the first year was to build a bridge and travel mechanism to move a mass over a span.

There were dozens of teams and pretty much every solution was different.

The same went for our main project, building the chassis for a remote controlled car. There are just so many options to choose and different ways to design and construct something. Unlike your standard highschool or college maths, there is NO right answer, just differences in design, opinion and expertise. It's quite remarkable just how varied some of the solutions were, and it's really because many ways work and it's down to a smart engineer to fit the budgets of mass, structure, cost and manufacturing limitations. Even the process you take to assemble can become creative and you need to expect difficulties along the way.
I love designing and building things, ive always loved doing practical tasks and i find it hard to sit still for long periods of time.
So instead of chasing a well paid office job like my friends i decided engineering is for me, and i dont care if it pays less.
Reply 17
Hey :smile: for me I didn't know until earlier this year but now I'm 99.9% sure! I love the science aspect and problem solving, and I love physics and maths, but then I love creative things, and I love D&T ... I think I love all aspects of it so it just seemed like the natural path to follow... I used to want to be an architect but now I'm thinking more of an aerospace engineer... I said I was onl 99.9% sure, im gonna do work experience to know for sure :wink: just try it out to see :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending