The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
RogueTrader
what are boundaries normally?

These are the UMS scores needed and they're out of 100.

A= 80
B= 70
C= 60
D= 50
E= 40
U< 40
Reply 61
Teh Phuu
Good on you for getting that right. Of course I didn't get to that answer beause working out log questions...is....a.curse...created by..SATAN!!

Seriously though that method looks perfectly sound. Why I don't like log questions is that you either don't know it or you know it well. It looks so easy now. :frown:

I did it the same way, but after a lot of messing around and crossing out. Why did they have to set it today? I mean look at the date...
Reply 62
for the remainder when the polynomial is divided by (x+2), you just put in x= -2 in the polynomial, and that gives u the remainder which was 8. Then for the quotient you just use which ever way u want to do it. i use equating coefficients cos i cant do algebraic long division lol
Reply 63
Are OCR and MEI 2 different papers?
Reply 64
Hehe; That's exactly how I checked my answer after equating the coefficients and getting that out at the end. I still got the answer wrong, but only because a and b that I calculated were wrong in the first part! Man, 11 marks down the drain, and I got the right method and everything...
oK, say get 90 ish percent in C1, hgi 70's in S1 andlow seventies/high sixties in C2, is it possible to still get an A? these % are in terms of raw marks. because, apparently, 80 out of 100 UMS is rarely as high as 80% raw marks in things like maths and the sciences.
how much do you reckon C2 will be scaled up?
Reply 67
For C2 I believe you need to get 72/72 to ever getting 100 UMS. I don't rekon its scaled that much! I think it maybe jus raw marks as a percentage and den multiplied by 1.0xx or something...

I didn't really find C2 that difficult, our center decided to order the examinations with having C1 last and C2 first, i would preferred this the other way, i hate becomming depedant on using a calculator and after spending 1H 30M tapping away only to be unable to do so was so fustrating.

As always though there was a small collection of questions which where targetted as A grade differentiators. I found C1 Q8 a) very difficult, and ended up just combining together a legion of different number formations to get myself 32 (4x8), and tried to make it look more like a logical process rather than an illecit collection of number crunching.

For some reason my ability to evaluative inqualities just completely left me during C1, i was just so frustrated, i couldn't remember all the general rules for how the inequalty sign is to be treat by dividing etc ... However, Q9 on C1 wasn't really that bad, i had brushed up on my coordinate geometry beforehand, and my circle theorems to and i guess this paid off.

As for C2 i generally didnt find it too difficult, although i think for the question i was completely caught off guard by the progession. I couldn't decide whether or not it was geometric or an arithmatic progression, i should have expected something of the sort to put off less secure candidates (yes, i just insulted myself :smile:). Although i was happy with my performance generally.
well im soo glad i passed in january! if not i wud so have failed C1 i dont no what ahppened
Reply 70
i found C1 ok amd C2 ok in places but hard on all the other questions looks like i'm probs gunna resit them in january to get a better mark
Reply 71
Is there anyway of getting hold of C1 or C2 papers? Or is their a set date?
Reply 72
for the one about the cube... i used the volume bit (i fink was 8cm3)

v= base x height x width
8= x^2 h
h= 8/ x^2 then u subsitute that in

to 4x^2 (the surface area of the squares) + 4(x x8/x^2)= A

which multiplied out to the answer ......i fink yeeshh c2 was pure evil!
does anyone know previous raw boundaries for C2?
Reply 74
RogueTrader
does anyone know previous raw boundaries for C2?

Last year was a standard set, I know because I sat it and they didn't adapt it to fit a grade curve (Not happy).

So that's A=80, B=70, C=60 etc to U=<40

I sat this one, C1 was fine but C2 was a bugger. Not as bad as last year though, where everyone sitting it in my school practically collapsed in hysterics at the end.

Oh well, it's done now.
jacksonj04
Last year was a standard set, I know because I sat it and they didn't adapt it to fit a grade curve (Not happy).

So that's A=80, B=70, C=60 etc to U=<40

I sat this one, C1 was fine but C2 was a bugger. Not as bad as last year though, where everyone sitting it in my school practically collapsed in hysterics at the end.

Oh well, it's done now.

He said raw grade boundaries, you gave UMS
yeh. They are always 80,70,60 etc in UMS, but am i right in thinking raw boundaries change depending on how difficult people found the paper?
Reply 77
I had the C2 paper today, I didnt find it too bad, despite the panic attack at the end (bloody nerves !!!) I got a really large answer for the sum of geometrical progression question, I used sum=n/2(2a+(n-1)d) and worked out the sum of 1 to 50 and minused it from the sum from 1 to 100. Probably got it wrong though. But i really struggled on the last log question.

Did anyone else find that differentiation and integration questions were taking the mick??? I mean you get loads of marks for just simple calculus !!!!
yes. I got all differentiation questions but I think my integration answer was wrong even though the working i wrote down was right. That'll probs be the same with the radians one aswell, as Im not sure i used enough dp's to get the accurate answer, but worked out what i did in the correct way. I did drop alot of marks overall though, and im lookin at low 50's out of 72

C1 on the other hand, im lookin at mid 60-70
Reply 79
in C1, for the last Qn about the circle formula, did anyone get something like,
2y - x = 0 ?

i think that's what mine looked liek anyway.

Latest