The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I thought you guys might be interested to know that last year the minimal score required to be invited for interview was 51/100. The average score of applicants who were invited for interview was 62 and the average score of applicants who were offered a place was 68.

Also, I wouldn't give yourselves a mark out of 100 when doing practice papers, that really won't help you out. There is no set marking scheme. Rather, just get used to the format of the paper, but don't overdo it. Write fluidly and let the ideas come naturally, they want to judge how you think not how well you can process an exam.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by aesthetic
I thought you guys might be interested to know that last year the minimal score required to be invited for interview was 51/100. The average score of applicants who were invited for interview was 62 and the average score of applicants who were offered a place was 68.

Also, I wouldn't give yourselves a mark out of 100 when doing practice papers, that really won't help you out. There is no set marking scheme. Rather, just get used to the format of the paper, but don't overdo it. Write fluidly and let the ideas come naturally, they want to judge how you think not how well you can process an exam.

Are you sure, I didnt know that they release such information. In the open day, the admissions tutor told us that the average mark is usually around 50 on the HAT and that less than 20 people get more than 70 on the test. He said what is important is to be on the top 70% in comparison to other candidates, i don't think this is particularly difficult because there are many international applicants who fail simply because of the level of theor english and because they don't understand the passages due to their advanced vocabulary, arguably, this puts state school applicants at a disadvantage as well. I see the test as an opportunity to be creative and free to explore in your own ways, it like an escape from our current education which is only indoctrination and blocking of creativity and individual thinking. The best way is to do max two papers to get used to the timing and just read articles and keep thinking about what they are trying to say and what evidence they provide for it, or even whether you agree with them. It is also helpful to think about the historical period you want to write about.
Reply 22
Original post by SebCross
Thanks for posting this. I am sure you'll do well, as you provide well-developed, well-supported answers which addresses the questions asked directly and thoughtfully, deploying pertinent historical examples. Wishing you the best of luck on the day.

Thanks alot, good luck too :smile: i did use my notes when answering it so i can't say it's under exam conditions at all haha
Reply 23
Original post by frog69
Thanks alot, good luck too :smile: i did use my notes when answering it so i can't say it's under exam conditions at all haha

Well, just do your best. I am well-versed in what tutors are looking for in the HAT, seeing as I'm a student at Oxford University's Department for Continuing Education - although I am taught by Fellows of a postgraduate college - and you seem to be hitting the proverbial nail on the head.
Reply 24
Original post by aesthetic

Could I ask, did you get the 51 figure from this post, or is there another source for it?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40967516&postcount=107
Reply 25
Original post by arminb
Are you sure, I didn't know that they release such information. In the open day, the admissions tutor told us that the average mark is usually around 50 on the HAT and that less than 20 people get more than 70 on the test.

When individuals request their score, they may be given such comparative information in their reply from Oxford. See this post for example:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40984904&postcount=110

The average HAT score across all applicants (whether or not they got an interview) will have been closer to 60 than 50. Loads more than twenty people will have scored more than 70. I wonder which admissions tutor told you otherwise? Could they have meant 'twenty per cent' rather than 'twenty'?
Reply 26
Original post by shoshin
When individuals request their score, they may be given such comparative information in their reply from Oxford. See this post for example:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40984904&postcount=110

The average HAT score across all applicants (whether or not they got an interview) will have been closer to 60 than 50. Loads more than twenty people will have scored more than 70. I wonder which admissions tutor told you otherwise? Could they have meant 'twenty per cent' rather than 'twenty'?

i have looked at the 2012 paper, it seemed quite easy but other years it was much harder. That might have been the reason why the avergae was 60. The admissions tutor knows what he is saying i am sure. BUt maube i got the 20 people thing wrong, maybe it was 20% but i cant remember.:confused: I am sure that he said the average was just over 50 though.
Reply 27
So I spent the evening watching French revolution videos to prepare for the HAT... I've also been doing practice papers on my lunch at work and in the evenings. I am on a gap year and trying really hard to remember everything from my exams, its not easy! The question I struggle the most with is 1c) We had a very poor history teacher for IB that I did not get on with at all well, so whilst I feel like my broad ideas, creative approach and ability to generate an argument are adequate, I'm worried about my actual historical knowledge! I'm applying for History and English, and am very very excited about the course content, it seems to be a perfect degree for me. My mum has also been very unwell and I've become somewhat of a full time carer for her, which has put me under a lot of pressure and not much time to revise D: Does anyone think it is worth contacting the college to explain the circumstances?
Original post by Suzcat
So I spent the evening watching French revolution videos to prepare for the HAT... I've also been doing practice papers on my lunch at work and in the evenings. I am on a gap year and trying really hard to remember everything from my exams, its not easy! The question I struggle the most with is 1c) We had a very poor history teacher for IB that I did not get on with at all well, so whilst I feel like my broad ideas, creative approach and ability to generate an argument are adequate, I'm worried about my actual historical knowledge! I'm applying for History and English, and am very very excited about the course content, it seems to be a perfect degree for me. My mum has also been very unwell and I've become somewhat of a full time carer for her, which has put me under a lot of pressure and not much time to revise D: Does anyone think it is worth contacting the college to explain the circumstances?

YES!!! Someone else is applying for History and English :biggrin: I feel so lonely on TSR...

You may as well contact the college, it can't hurt. I mean, I contacted them about being 20 words over the limit for an English essay, which I felt kind of stupid doing, but it was better than worrying about being over the limit (even though, based on the response, I think they were laughing at me...).
Reply 29
Hey, sorry I don't know where to find the papers but I want them too! :frown: I was wondering though does it matter that my teachers haven't marked my practise papers because they are too busy. I'm stressing that I'm doing everything wrong and that loads of other schools will have specific lessons for HAT and oxford!
Reply 30
I'm doing the HAT aswell. Haven't had much access to the past papers as its been half-term and my home internet is down. I would say generally the past papers are only really useful to get into the mood and technique of exam - the specific questions are fairly useless for revision, as they certainly won't be the same. A good idea would be to look at the mark schemes, a lot of useful information on them!
Hey! I'm sitting the HAT on Wednesday! Pretty nervous! I think that the best thing to do, is to just refresh your memory on what you have learnt or are learning at the moment, just so you have some things ready to use in 1.c. Its a 2 hour paper, so a lot more time than you actually think!
Hey guys!

Got a quick question: In question 1.c where you are asked to use your knowledge related to the question, are you meant to refer to the extract which you used in questions 1.a and 1.b? As in, obviously you use your own knowledge and examples to answer the question, but do you refer to themes commented or suggested in the extract? Anyone help would be great!
Reply 33
Original post by Suzcat

Hey I'm doing the French revolution as well for my HAT. Would you like to have a discussion about the themes in the big picture? I don't know but I guess this could be helpful.
Reply 34
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Hey guys!

Got a quick question: In question 1.c where you are asked to use your knowledge related to the question, are you meant to refer to the extract which you used in questions 1.a and 1.b? As in, obviously you use your own knowledge and examples to answer the question, but do you refer to themes commented or suggested in the extract? Anyone help would be great!

It's not mandatory, but if you do it, and do it well, I think it would help.
Reply 35
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Hey guys!

The simple answer is that it is stand alone and you should not need to directly refer to the q1 extract (unless, of course, it asks you to this year). However, because the question arises from the themes discussed in the extract, the markers may be super-impressed by anything in your essay that, prob'ly less directly than a quote or reference, subtly underlines the fact that you have taken on board the quite complex issues arising from the extract.

To take a simplistic example, cos that's all I'm good for, I sat the 2010 paper and noted that the extract used the phrase 'statute law' more than once. So I kind of sprinkled the same phrase into my essay. Plus, the argument I made in my essay was in effect that the period I had chosen was a century later than the extract yet nothing much had really changed. So without overtly mentioning the extract, I tried to convey the impression that I had thought about the passage and that it had in some way affected the essay I wrote.

This is prob'ly over-analysing what was at the time three pages of panic-fuelled scribble, so don't worry if I'm not making much sense . Good luck :smile:
Reply 36
Hi, I'm also taking the HAT (applying for History (Ancient and Modern)) on Wednesday at 9am, feeling v. stressed, worrying that I will ramble too much! :eek: Good Luck to everyone else!
Reply 37
Original post by OEM
Hey I'm doing the French revolution as well for my HAT. Would you like to have a discussion about the themes in the big picture? I don't know but I guess this could be helpful.

Have PMed you :smile:

Well I'm personally rather scared about Wednesday! I'm convinced I know nothing about history! Anyone else? :P
Reply 38
Original post by shoshin
Could I ask, did you get the 51 figure from this post, or is there another source for it?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=40967516&postcount=107

Like them, the stats were e-mailed directly to me from the Oxford when I asked for my result on the HAT, so I can tell you confidently that these statistics are true.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by books28
Hi, I'm also taking the HAT (applying for History (Ancient and Modern)) on Wednesday at 9am, feeling v. stressed, worrying that I will ramble too much! :eek: Good Luck to everyone else!

You're applying for the best course, best of luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending