The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by johnnycoolhair
I also found it quite an interesting extract. The details given about the preparation of the crucifix did strike me as odd but was actually quite an intriguing insight into the level of religious devotion (or superstition) that permeated the medieval world. The sly dig at women in the last sentence provided ample material for speculating on feminine stereotypes. And yeah I agree as its setting is in an Abbey and the the discussion in source revolves mainly around religious matters with fleeting mentions of temporal matters, like class and wealth, I struggled to use to source to paint a picture, if only a limited one, of social structure in the 14th century.

Yeah, it was hard to paint a social structure. And I think the MS said that we only needed 1 social example didn't it?

I said something along the lines of how segregated the social structure was. The men were expected to do their thing and be chivalrous. And the women were to do their roles. It didn't really matter who had the upper hand, but there was clear segregation of society.

I also said that at that point in time, wealth already played a factor in society. Not how the Patroness and the relatives of Patrons got more rights. Aristocracy speaking right there. I also noted the fact that the female visitors to the abbey did not bear gifts; I speculated that it may have been because the men controlled the purse. But, the author makes a clear distinction between Patronesses and the wives and daughters of Patrons, so that means that the Patronesses donated in their own right. This logically leads to the assumption that some women, rich women, had their own wealth and property. Again leading to the idea of class differences.

Then I noted how those aristocratic women were still constrained to certain areas, and etc. and how the monks were able to impose rules on them. I also noted that the monks had to discuss whether or not to allow women to visit which means that it probably wasn't something common back then. So from there I deduced that the 14th Century social structure was a world that was in flux. It had one foot in the ways of gender inequity and chivalry but also had some aspects of a different world that contained gender equality.

And Good luck to everyone taking the test tomorrow.
I'm sure this thread will be closed soon (since we can't discuss the exam until everyone is done) so I'm just going to take this opportunity to wish everyone luck! :smile:

I'm really nervous and reviewing my three favourite topics: Nazi Germany, the French Revolution, and Tudor England. Question 1c scares me so much, but hopefully I'll be able to think of something to write about.
Admissions Testing Service exams (used by the University of Oxford, Imperial College London and some Medical schools) are international exams. As a result, some candidates in one country may have already completed an exam that hasn't yet started elsewhere. In order to keep these exams as fair as possible, we'll close threads on the following entrance exams on the 6th November and reopen them at midday (12pm) the following day:

BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Test)
CAT (Classics Admissions Test)
ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test)
HAT (History Aptitude Test)
MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test)
MLAT (Modern Languages Admissions Test)
OLAT (Oriental Languages Aptitude Test)
PAT (Physics Aptitude Test)
TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment)

This means no post-exam discussion is permitted until 12pm (UK time) on the 7th November - not even "I found it hard/easy", "I dropped my pencil", and could include conveying this via smilies or similar. The line between

"I found it hard" and
"I found question 2 hard" and
"I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

is very blurred. What starts as innocent discussion can turn into disclosures of exam content. We're therefore operating a zero tolerance policy on discussing these exams.

Anyone breaking this rule on TSR will receive a 10 point warning and may be banned from the site.

PLEASE NOTE: this rule applies to any form of discussion, including, but not limited to, PMs (Private Messages).

If you see anyone breaking these rules, please report them to the moderation team by using the report button.

Good luck to everyone sitting these exams!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 63
Does anyone know how long approx til we find out result? 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
😓

I was looking at last years thread and from what I can tell its 1-2 weeks. I'm not holding much hope though, question 1c was a mess for me!
Original post by christye
Does anyone know how long approx til we find out result? 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

You find out if you have an interview I think end of November and you can request your HAT score from Schools Liason Officer in January.
Reply 66
Ah okay, so you wouldn't know your score coming in to interview. How did people find the test? I found it easier than a lot of the past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
The paper was obviously a LOT easier than the past papers. The language used in the first passage was quite simple. The second passage being in points made it very easy to deduce points from it. Also, 1(c) was quite generic and could be answered using a WIIIDDEEE range of examples. But I made a mistake, I did not fill in the candidate number in my answer sheets although I wrote it on the facing sheet. Will my paper be discarded?
Reply 68
Alright, way to go making the rest of us mortals feel good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by christye
Alright, way to go making the rest of us mortals feel good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get you.
Reply 70
The test proved to me that i am not oxford material. I know some people found it easy but i found question 2 BLOODY difficult . If that is the level they expect me to be intelligent, i will never , not even untill WW3 breaks put , be able to handle it. I think i did Q1. C very well though. Part B ended up being so messy with a lot scratching and bad handwriting because i was just copying the stream of conscoiousness that was passing through my head. The content was good but i think they will just give a bad mark because it was so messy. I wrote something like the missionaries had extensive ties with the british traders from india and received loyalties from the british . I also said that perhaps they wete doing this in secrecy and that they were not very popular amongst the people . I also said tgat they lived there for a very long time and I acknowldged the fact that sometimes there isnt sufficient evidence due to the limitations of the source. Is this complete and utter bull****? Please just give a hollistic feedback i dont need any uplifts or reassurance. What did you guys write ?
(edited 10 years ago)
So what did everyone write for question 1(c)? I wrote about the Scottish Reformation - how people reacted to the change in religion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ahmed2
Don't get you.

Not everyone found the paper easy mate.
Reply 73
Original post by arminb
The test proved to me that i am not oxford material. I know some people found it but i found question 2 BLOODY difficult . If that is the level they expect me to be inteeligent, i will never , not even untill WW3 breaks put , be able to handle it. I think i did Q1. C very well though.

Bro, all you had to do was look at those objects and think of how the missionaries used them. How would their life be if they used them? E.g The presence of medical and surgical instruments and the Turkish trunk of medicines makes us understand that they did not visit hospitals or doctors for medical treatment. Rather they treated themselves as far as they could. And you could expand here and there. ???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by TheRealTavi
Not everyone found the paper easy mate.

Ohk! Sorry but as I said, I will probably face difficulties as I forgot to fill in my candidate number on the answer sheets although I filled it in the facing sheet. Twill be discarded I think :"(
Reply 75
Original post by Ahmed2
Bro, all you had to do was look at those objects and think of how the missionaries used them. How would their life be if they used them? E.g The presence of medical and surgical instruments and the Turkish trunk of medicines makes us understand that they did not visit hospitals or doctors for medical treatment. Rather they treated themselves as far as they could. And you could expand here and there. ???

I said that perhaps they were helping the tradesmen and franks with their medical kits and this suggests that they were not welcomed there in the ottoman empire as they couldn't go to hospital and receive adequate medical care. Possibly they were doing this in secrecy. :confused:
Original post by Ahmed2

I used that point to talk that they posessed practical knowledge highlighting that they were not only there to convert/provide spiritual assistance. I also used this to advance my argument that they were committed to helping others. What do you think of that?

Also, what did you write about for 1(c)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Ahmed2
Ohk! Sorry but as I said, I will probably face difficulties as I forgot to fill in my candidate number on the answer sheets although I filled it in the facing sheet. Twill be discarded I think :"(

No it wont be . You know that it wont be discarded.
Reply 78
Original post by TheRealTavi
I used that point to talk that they posessed practical knowledge and advance my argument that they were committed to helping others. What do you think of that?

Also, what did you write about for 1(c)?

Strong point well done!
Original post by arminb
The test proved to me that i am not oxford material. I know some people found it easy but i found question 2 BLOODY difficult . If that is the level they expect me to be intelligent, i will never , not even untill WW3 breaks put , be able to handle it. I think i did Q1. C very well though. Part B ended up being so messy with a lot scratching and bad handwriting because i was just copying the stream of conscoiousness that was passing through my head. The content was good but i think they will just give a bad mark because it was so messy. I wrote something like the missionaries had extensive ties with the british traders from india and received loyalties from the british . I also said that perhaps they wete doing this in secrecy and that they were not very popular amongst the people . I also said tgat they lived there for a very long time and I acknowldged the fact that sometimes there isnt sufficient evidence due to the limitations of the source. Is this complete and utter bull****? Please just give a hollistic feedback i dont need any uplifts or reassurance. What did you guys write ?

You have some points on which I picked such as their possible unpopularity with the Ottomans and I think it was important to acknowledge that the source was limited (I saw that in previous marking schemes) so good on you for mentioning that. Although I wrote about the French more than the British (French King gave them some gifts if I remember correctly). I wonder if Ahmed wrote about the limitations? :P

Latest

Trending

Trending