The Student Room Group

Ian Brady: what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Do you have kids?

Are you even reading what I wrote?

It's not about any personal feelings! The point is that it doesn't matter what you think, justice isn't revenge!
Original post by Miracle Day
Posts like this make me hate liberals. They're so weak.

I notice a lot of them have no basic concept of real life, like having kids or having there own place to live. They tend to be childless people who still live with Mum and Dad.
Original post by Dreamweaver
Ok. Why don't we just let him off free if we are better than him? Why is a life sentence in prison justified? Some argue that spending your entire life in prison is worse than death. How do you quantify what is justifiable and what isn't?

because some punishment makes sense, he loses his freedom and is forced to spend time contemplating what he has done, there is a big difference between denial of freedom till someone is able to return to society and killing them and essentially justifying what they did by doing the same yourself, if you can't quantify that you need help.
Original post by SciFiRory
at last someone understands! it's a basic concept so I am miffed as to how they find it so hard to contemplate!

This is just one of those topics when people get so emotionally involved that they forget to actually think the issue through. It doesn't help that the majority of mainstream newspaper encourage this sort of view...

Lets see if you say this if one of your kids were butchered and killed by a Paedophile.

I would hope I wouldn't have a desire to see them tortured, but who knows how you would react in such a situation? But I do know how I feel now when I am emotionally removed from the situation, and that is that are a better society when everyone's human rights are respected.
Original post by Elcano
Are you even reading what I wrote?

It's not about any personal feelings! The point is that it doesn't matter what you think, justice isn't revenge!

I assume you don't have kids then?

It seems to work very well in Saudi Arabia. They need to change a lot of things in Saudi, but the way they do sentences for killers and scum is spot on. They let the victims and/or family decide what to do with them, in reason.
SciFiRory has no parental instincts as he has got no kids, and him to say I'm wrong to have the view I have, is frankly a joke.

100% agree. And I say this with no children, but a baby sister, who if anyone sexually assaulted her or worse, my instincts would be to kill them.
100% agree. And I say this with no children, but a baby sister, who if anyone sexually assaulted her or worse, my instincts would be to kill them.

then you are both no better than Ian Brady, congrats.
Reply 47
I assume you don't have kids then?

It seems to work very well in Saudi Arabia. They need to change a lot of things in Saudi, but the way they do sentences for killers and scum is spot on. They let the victims and/or family decide what to do with them, in reason.

You didn't actually just do that, did you?

You didn't just put Saudi Arabia as an example?

Oh well, that's how some people unmask themselves. Go and have fun in Saudi Arabia, I prefer civilization. Of course, that's just me.
Original post by ArtGoblin
I would hope I wouldn't have a desire to see them tortured, but who knows how you would react in such a situation? But I do know how I feel now when I am emotionally removed from the situation, and that is that are a better society when everyone's human rights are respected.

"I would hope I wouldn't have a desire to see them tortured."

This is the point I'm trying to make. Unless you are a parent and have the ghastly situation to be in the position, then you simply do not know what you would think. So people like SciFiRory, who has no kids, cannot really pass judgement on people like myself, who say that if a child of there's was killed, they would want to hunt the killer down and destroy them.

That is the point I'm trying to make.
because some punishment makes sense, he loses his freedom and is forced to spend time contemplating what he has done, there is a big difference between denial of freedom till someone is able to return to society and killing them and essentially justifying what they did by doing the same yourself, if you can't quantify that you need help.

Will his victims ever be able to return to society? No they won't. You don't understand the difference between restorative and retributive justice. There is a place for both in the justice system.
(edited 10 years ago)

as if your argument wasn't discredited enough already...and as if your depravity wasn't evident enough...you defend Saudi justice...wow.
Original post by Dreamweaver
Will the his victims ever be able to return to society? No they won't. You don't understand the difference between restorative and retributive justice. There is a place for both in the justice system.

justice should never be about retribution, it should be about punishment, deterrence and rehabilitation.
Original post by Elcano
You didn't actually just do that, did you?

You didn't just put Saudi Arabia as an example?

Oh well, that's how some people unmask themselves. Go and have fun in Saudi Arabia, I prefer civilization. Of course, that's just me.

I lived in Saudi for a year when I was 21, so I know what the craic is, not what is written in Western newspapers.

It has a lot of faults, especially towards women, but the criminal system over there deals with killers and Paedophile a lot more efficiently than this joke of a country does.
you want to kill him sadistically though, the sole differences are the number of people you wish to kill in that way and their age.

yes clearly respecting someones humanity is "liberal rubbish", forgive me if I consider myself a better person than him and those who would kill just like he did (like you)

I think you need to be in hospital if you seriously have that strong a desire to take the life of another human being.

Nah, the main difference is that the children he killed were innocent, while Brady is a monster
as if your argument wasn't discredited enough already...and as if your depravity wasn't evident enough...you defend Saudi justice...wow.

I think you will find that the majority on this thread support my position. Like I said before, move out of Mum's house, actually grow up, fend for yourself, have a family, and then see what your opinions are if you ever have a child, or god forbid, if they were ever abused.

You simply do not know how you would react, and if you say you do, you are a liar.
(edited 10 years ago)
then you are both no better than Ian Brady, congrats.

I have no words to combat your idiocy. I really don't think you have the moral highground here. You're the type that, if you had the chance to save millions of lives by killing a tyranical dictator, you wouldn't.
Reply 56
I lived in Saudi for a year when I was 21, so I know what the craic is, not what is written in Western newspapers.

It has a lot of faults, especially towards women, but the criminal system over there deals with killers and Paedophile a lot more efficiently than this joke of a country does.

Oh wow, you lived there for a year, now I'm impressed.

So what? I still prefer civilization. And it says a lot about you that you like a 'justice' system that's actually just based on revenge. Oh yeah, and has such nice methods of putting people to death as stoning.

Go live in the middle ages, people would love you there.

You simply do not know how you would react, and if you say you do, you are a liar.

How often do I have to repeat myself? It doesn't matter how 'I would react'! It has nothing to do with justice. If someone steals my bike, my first reaction (... if I ever met the guy) is to arrange a little meeting between his head and a baseball bat. Is that justice, or is that perhaps just petty revenge?
(edited 10 years ago)
"I would hope I wouldn't have a desire to see them tortured."

This is the point I'm trying to make. Unless you are a parent and have the ghastly situation to be in the position, then you simply do not know what you would think. So people like SciFiRory, who has no kids, cannot really pass judgement on people like myself, who say that if a child of there's was killed, they would want to hunt the killer down and destroy them.

That is the point I'm trying to make.

Not all parents are like that. My parents certainly don't come out with crap like that. Being a parent doesn't make you immune from criticism, and not being a parent doesn't mean that you can't have an opinion on this topic. While you are entitled to think that people who kill children should be tortured, there is a reason why the law will pay no attention to you.
Original post by MrSupernova
Nah, the main difference is that the children he killed were innocent, while Brady is a monster

he is and was a human, you can justify it to yourself however you like, you are still endorsing the idea that brutally murdering another human is okay, like I said he probably justified it to himself too, just as I disagree strongly with him I do with you as well.

I think you will find that the majority on this thread support my position. Like I said before, move out of Mum's house, actually grow up, fend for yourself, have a family, and then see what your opinions are if you ever have a child, or god forbid, if they were ever abused.

You simply do not know how you react, and if you say you do, you are a liar.

then I weep for our society frankly cause that makes people here very unpleasant. thanks for copy and pasting your previous post again, I did read it the first time thanks, it's still a load of crap no matter how many times you repost it. my living situation is none of your business btw, I am more than content in my position of not wanting to kill people.

I am not a liar, you however are scum.
I have no words to combat your idiocy. I really don't think you have the moral highground here. You're the type that, if you had the chance to save millions of lives by killing a tyranical dictator, you wouldn't.

I wouldn't, I am not a killer, good to know you would be given the opportunity though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending