The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing any work/revision over the summer of the first year of the IB?

Is it worth doing some (if any) work, or should I just enjoy my summer?

Since the second year of the IB is going to be MUCH harder than the first, should I just enjoy the free time I have left?
Reply 1
It's always good to consolidate, especially if you think you need extra work on any of your subjects. It only gets more frantic, so if you don't understand a concept/topic you've already covered, it will stay that way unless you take action over the summer. However that doesn't mean you have to spend all your time working, just be sensible about it.
Enjoy the time, yes, but there are a few things you could be thinking about. EE and TOK are just around the corner so you could start preparing for them a bit. I don't mean start writing anything yet, just start thinking about what you might want to do your EE and TOK presentation on and do some reading for it.
We were actually told to come up with an EE title for summer of IB1 and start writing it, but if your school haven't specifically told you to do this you could get ahead by coming up with a title and starting to do some research and collecting your sources. If you're going to be doing your EE as an experiment obviously you won't be able to do any writing yet anyway, but maybe just do some reading around the topic.
Would also recommend just having a look over any language notes because neglecting your language is not a good idea.
Don't work too hard though, it's a break afterall!
:smile:
Reply 3
You should ideally finish your EE before IB2. My school encouraged us to be done with it before summer's end. You should also finalise and consolidate any IAs you've worked on in IB1, so for me, this was my English World Lit Paper (for you, the WIT), History IA, Econ IAs, Maths IA(s), etc. More importantly, I would suggest working on your UCAS Personal Statement/other uni application essays. It will save you tons of time and stress in the future to have that done and over with.

Other than that, try and revise old content if you're up for it, but the summer should mostly be utilised to finish your IAs, EE and PS.
My school issues what we call the "predicted scores" (basically what IB total a student is most likely to get) based on the first semester of year 2...this when they test us quite a lot and those tests combined with your retention of Year one's lessons helps them issue a predicted score. If you're school happens to follow a similar system, then yes you should revise the lessons you're not too sure about :smile: Also, they highly encourage us to finish ALL EE research by the summer...if you haven't decided on a topic yet, I'd put a bit of work into that too :smile:
It depends, if you have a subject you think you should consolidate in, it's good to do that. Personally, I regret VERY MUCH not consolidating my chemistry knowledge over the summer and doing extra work for it... and maths too, probably. Also, last summer, I finished my EE completely, as well as my history IA. If you've got any work assigned, if it's optional not to do it... I recommend doing it. It will ease off a lot of the pressure in the first half of IB2, where you're going to have a lot of stress with predicted grades, TOK, IAs, etc. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending