The Student Room Group

Need help with choosing joint degree

Hi, I'm a future student of anthropology, recently decided to take joint honours degree, however i cannot decide what to take with anthropology - psychology or legal studies. Both of these subjects interest me. Maybe some of you could give me ideas what to choose, which one would go better with anthropology, 'cause I'm at a loss. :confused:Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
'Legal Studies' - what will this actually qualify you for? It isnt a Law degree, so what vocational application does it have? When combined with Anthropology it seems to have even less meaning - looks like 2 halves of a degree in totally unrelated subjects.

Anthropology and Psychology sounds more credible and logical - so does Legal Studies and Psychology. Just cant quite see any mutual connection or usefulness in Anthropology and Legal Studies
It might help to think what you want to do after university? For example if you were interested in working on indigenous rights then anthropology and legal studies might be the more suitable option as you might then know more about the legal side/human rights, etc. I don't know if you have any idea on what career you might like to do but that may help you decide what to study.

As far as which one would go better that would really depend on you interests and what you might want to do as a career. As I've shown legal studies definitely can connect and be useful alongside anthropology, here's just a few examples of careers that in my opinion legal studies would benefit you alongside anthropology.

foreign affairs (e.g. Foreign Service Officer)
justice (e.g. expert witness)
immigration
First Nations affairs
multiculturalism heritage policies
social services

I haven't studied psychology before so I can't really give you a lot of information on that, but I'd say that would probably take you down a more scientific route. I'm going to study social anthropology at Kent Uni in September and they do a Psychology and Social Anthropology BSc. I'll put the link up and then that may give you idea of the sort of direction that degree might take you.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/196/psychology-and-social-anthropology#overview

I'd say research different courses at unis you might want to go to and see which ones you are most interested in to begin with? If you're still at school or college you might also be able to go and see a careers/uni advisor and they'll probably be able to give you far more advice then I can.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending