The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

I personally hate Hertfordshire

It's literally a disgrace of a "University". The town Hatfield is utterly disgusting and the organisation of the Uni is rubbish! If you want to study business studies or media then it's the place for you, but otherwise it's terrible. Anyone else share my grievances?

Scroll to see replies

What course do you do?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jacob :)
What course do you do?

History
Original post by LightDragoon
History

My friend does history and philosophy but much prefers the philosophy.
I was offered a place on two courses there and now they keep sending me two lots of their marketing material each time :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by Runninground
I was offered a place on two courses there and now they keep sending me two lots of their marketing material each time :confused:

It's a business and not a University. It's a joke! Hatfield is the most disgusting town I've ever visted......in the world! Someone actually got stabbed in one of the libraries last year.
Reply 6
Lol I was considering applying for that university in the same course as yours. I've been to Hertfordshire before and it seems pretty nice, but I'll take your word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Don't really know why anybody would go there. I live in Hertfordshire, visited it many times.

I'd rather not go to Uni if I had to go there, ha.

Although they can be good for certain subjects, so.
Some universities just aren't people's cup of tea. Are you studying here?

On another note, I've just realised this would be the poshest article title ever on one of those 'Rage' sites. "I ****ING HATE MY FAMILY" "THE WORLD IS A ****ING CROCK OF **** AND SHOULD GO DIE IN POOLS OF FECAL MATTER" "MY LIFE IS A COCKSUCKING HEAP OF WHORE **** AND ALL PEOPLE SHOULD GO DROWN THEMSELVES" - and then a few articles down... "I personally HATE Hertfordshire. It's just such a disgusting university - just in my opinion, of course. Sorry if I've offended anyone. Would you like a florentine?"
Original post by LightDragoon
It's a business and not a University.

You could say that about all universities. Some universities are just more subtle about including my own, Durham.
Reply 10
Original post by NDGAARONDI
You could say that about all universities. Some universities are just more subtle about including my own, Durham.

Durham is pure prestige. Hertfordshire is pure ****e!
Reply 11
Original post by Ndella
Lol I was considering applying for that university in the same course as yours. I've been to Hertfordshire before and it seems pretty nice, but I'll take your word for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! Stay away and heed the advice. As soon as I arrived I lost all motivation:frown:
Reply 12
Well i hope my standards are much lower then yours! Im going on Saturday and have been looking forward to getting started.Honestly Im lucky to be going at all, and besides my home town isn't the most pleasant! Perhaps ill be used to it. Thanks for the massive downer man!
Reply 13
Original post by addyem
Well i hope my standards are much lower then yours! Im going on Saturday and have been looking forward to getting started.Honestly Im lucky to be going at all, and besides my home town isn't the most pleasant! Perhaps ill be used to it. Thanks for the massive downer man!

I've lived in Hatfield going on 12 years now, and I hate to say it but I'm glad I'm getting away in a few days. Don't get me wrong, the University is good, my sister attended and she had alot of praise for it - but unfortunately it is the only good thing about Hatfield. There is a reason it is voted number 5 on the ****test towns list. The town centre is crap, and is currently being ripped apart to make it look a little less crap, so there is sod all in the town centre apart from the massive asda. The Galleria is close, but there is not much choice in shops in there. Outside of agency work there is little employment, and nightlife apart from the forum is non-existant (you are better off in St Albans or Watford both short bus rides away).
They switch the street lights off at night to save money and make you feel nice and safe, because screw the high crime rate. Crime is a problem unfortunately, just two weeks ago a jewellers got smashed n grabbed, and the local times newspaper usually has a crime themed headline.

If anyone has questions about particular areas, pm me i'll give you some advice about cheap food shops, what the local area is like etc etc.
Reply 14
Sorry but so far I have enjoyed the university very much. The club and activities are very fun. I have been to another prestigious university before but Herts looks great and I am already having great fun. Yes the town is quiet(its not London or Manchester), but its an extremely beautiful and clean place. The facilities are more than world class and they seems to be keep on building and building(with lots of investments) and the current buildings and facilities are also very good. And not to forget extremely cheap uni accommodation (similar facilities are 1.5 times more in other uni).

I heard that Hatfield isnt a safe city with chavs and stuff. But so far its been great. I haven't seen any chavs or such and it has been published as one of the most safest unis in UK. About being quiet, the Forum and Club De Havilland has great programs every night, so why would you wanna go out when you can enjoy in the uni campus.

Overall, the social life been great for me.
Reply 15
I went there for an open day a long time ago. It varies so much from department to department. I agree, Hatfield is hardly the central bubble of student nightlife. Yet, London is 20 minutes on the train? The campus is decent and accessible of the motorway. It isn't a bad university, I have a fair few friends there that are enjoying it. It's a decent post-1992 university with some excellent courses (their Film course looked excellent).
Reply 16
I agree with zaback21.. I haven't started at the uni yet (I will in september) but I am really looking forward to it!!!!! I absolutely love the uni, I think it's perfect for me... But what I dont understand is if you hate the uni so much, LightDragoon, why did you choose to go there in the first place??
Original post by ChloeSusanna
I agree with zaback21.. I haven't started at the uni yet (I will in september) but I am really looking forward to it!!!!! I absolutely love the uni, I think it's perfect for me... But what I dont understand is if you hate the uni so much, LightDragoon, why did you choose to go there in the first place??

Hi ChloeSusanna,

We are glad that you have chosen to study with us at the University of Hertfordshire in September, and that you are looking forward to joining us.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask us. You can also ask us via on Facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/uniofherts

We look forward to welcoming you to UH in September.

Kind Regards

Chris
University of Hertfordshire Official Rep
Reply 18
It's the place for me if I want to study business or media?
What makes you mention those subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by R1C3W1N3
It's the place for me if I want to study business or media?
What makes you mention those subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hertfordshire uni is very good if you planning to study aerospace, computer science, film and media, visual/special effects, graphic arts, model/product design, paramedics and nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending