The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

I've failed the 1st year twice, could really do with some sound advice thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manny001
Am studying architecture and am doing my foundation degree i failed my math but passed other subjects can i still be accepted

Original post by filip141095
HI i have similar question, i have failed the first year which also include the resits in August. Will UEL allow me to resit the first year? in order to do that will the contact me personally offering resit the first year or do i have to contact any particular person ?

Both these questions probably have the same answer. You should get in touch with your designated academic adviser as soon as possible and explain your circumstances and discuss your options. They'll be able to inform you about your university's policies in this regard and can direct you to the appropriate contacts afterwards.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 21
Try getting tutors. helped me out a lot. i'm on a games programming course and without the help from tutors I wouldn't be entering year 3. Everyone has a weak spot but you still need to pass the course in it. The course maybe for you but the area of that course may not be. try studentgems.com.
Reply 22
Hi, I'm doing Mechanic engineering and am doing some 1st year and some 2nd year units. I've failed some subjects and I really wanna continue as well. I just love tinkering and the units that's I've passed I love doing but the ones that's I have failed are a killer. If I dropout what options do I have that offers engineering still?
Reply 23
Original post by hafizasamath
helloo so i passed 2 of my AS subjs but failed 1, can i still continue with A2??

Similar problem here.I passed 3 but i got U in One and i will be dropping that one.I don't know if that would affect me when i apply for Uni in A2. I don't know what the Universities would say if i say i got one U
Reply 24
Original post by Ronnie2K
Similar problem here.I passed 3 but i got U in One and i will be dropping that one.I don't know if that would affect me when i apply for Uni in A2. I don't know what the Universities would say if i say i got one U

You try 1001% harder than you did last year. If you make a major turn around, Universities will see it.
Reply 25
Hi all, I have similar question. I have failed 2 modules out of 5. Do i have any chance to study in second year?
Original post by Akimmm
Hi all, I have similar question. I have failed 2 modules out of 5. Do i have any chance to study in second year?

It depends upon your university's reassessment policies. First thing you should do is contact your academic advisor/tutor and explain your situation.
Reply 27
Hi, I'm currently studying Management (BSc) at university of Nottingham. I have failed 1st year twice, however I done much better this year than last. I've passed 40% of modules and had one exam to resit in August but I panicked after a few minutes and left the exam room. My uni regulations say that a student needs to pass 50% of modules to progress onto a ordinary degree programme. Do you think there will be anything I can do? I'd really like to progress onto second year.
Original post by Kkozzie
Hi, I'm currently studying Management (BSc) at university of Nottingham. I have failed 1st year twice, however I done much better this year than last. I've passed 40% of modules and had one exam to resit in August but I panicked after a few minutes and left the exam room. My uni regulations say that a student needs to pass 50% of modules to progress onto a ordinary degree programme. Do you think there will be anything I can do? I'd really like to progress onto second year.

I'd seriously consider whether it's worth pursuing this particular degree programme if you've already failed the first year twice. As I said in my post here two years ago, the course is only going to get harder and harder with each academic year and it may not be worth pursuing if you're already struggling to progress beyond the first year. Is there a particular reason (i.e. an extenuating circumstance) that's led you to receive these marks over the past two years?

I'd strongly recommend speaking to your academic advisor as soon as possible. Has the university sent you any correspondence concerning your situation since August?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Hi, can I find out what was your outcome? I'm sorta of in the same boat. Doing 2 1st year units and some 2nd year units failing some in the progress.
Hi
I'm studying on a LLB law course at the moment 1st year however have missed a lot already and will continue to due to medical and personal reasons and feel like it's likely that I will fail the whole year despite the effort I make,
Would there be an option for me to retake the whole year again obviously in the next academic year instead of progressing onto the 2nd year?
Original post by laurenef1996
Hi
I'm studying on a LLB law course at the moment 1st year however have missed a lot already and will continue to due to medical and personal reasons and feel like it's likely that I will fail the whole year despite the effort I make,
Would there be an option for me to retake the whole year again obviously in the next academic year instead of progressing onto the 2nd year?

Firstly, have you contacted your university and informed them of your medical and personal circumstances? If they are likely to lead you to miss classes, impact your ability to complete coursework and exams, and leave you at risk of failing the year, you might want to consider intercalating (taking an official leave of absence and 'pausing' your studies). At the very least, I would discuss your circumstances with your academic advisor or tutor as soon as possible.

It is possible to repeat a year if you don't meet the minimum pass requirements, but it should only be considered as a last resort (and is usually only offered at the discretion of a university). Are you on a programme where the 1st year results do not count towards your final degree classification? If so, I don't think it's worth repeating the year assuming you are in a position to achieve the required grades for progression onto the 2nd year.
Hi guys I need some help. Well I'm currently studying law. However I've failed 3 of my courseworks. One piece was for 50% the other 1 was 30% and the other was 30% as well. Does this mean I've failed my first year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi, I failed 3 modules in my second year so I resit them and still failed so I have to redo my second year again from February 2016. I've just received my exam results and failed the same exams again but passed all coursework. It says I will have to pass with an Intermediate Qualification. What does that mean? I feel like such a loser right now because I have been trying so hard but I commute to uni and some days I can't even make it as I'm a single mum and I don't have the best childcare. I have been told to appeal, but my question is will there be a chance they will let me resit in August or not? I don't want to give up.
s there is any universty that gives me admission after all this ?? igot 52% in non med 12th class and 2 times failed in bca :frown: :frown:
I would doubt you'll be allowed back I failed 1 unit in first year and the n failed it again in second year i was allowed a 4th go only because I'd passed everything else in second year (of a 2 year HND) most places won't give you another try you might be able to transfer on to an HND you'd be fully funded for than and you'd at least leave with something but you do have to pass every unit in your position not many places will take you unless you can demonstrate you actually can do the work tbf in the nicest possible way given what you've said here I wouldn't admit you.

Have you considered other routes some carriers don't require a degree but still pay well things like being a pilot or cabin crew.
Reply 36
Bro tell me now wt r u doing ,bcoz I'm also finding diffulties so
I know this thread is three years old but, this message is for anyone who is struggling to pass their exams...

I study Civil Engineering and I failed all my 6 exams during my 2nd year and I only passed
1 exam during my first attempt,
3 exams during my second attempt.
I then failed my last 2 exams during my third attempt, which I then passed, 1 during my fourth attempt and 1 on my fifth (and final) attempt.

I developed really bad anxiety/depression at the end of my first year so it really took a toll on me in my second year which led to missing most of my lectures... anyways my head of department was aware of my situation and I was able to succeed in all of my extenuating circumstances claims. Which is why I was able to sit my exams various times.

Just know that I had no personal lecture notes therefore, I had to teach myself 6 modules from books and online resources.

If you know that you have some passion for your course and that you can teach yourself, with or without the help of a private tutor then don’t listen to anyone that ‘advises’ you to change your course. Just put your head down and give it your all.
Hi, I failed my first year, and i was wondering how did you manage to repeat your first year again?
Original post by paperwhite
Hi, I failed my first year, and i was wondering how did you manage to repeat your first year again?

Hi @paperwhite

Did you fail your first year at Staffs? If so, have you spoke to any of the advisors in our Student Hub team? They should be able to help - their contact info can be found on this page.

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending